As you commence your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Ukiah, CA, you will soon realize that there has never been a better time to pursue a career as an Occupational Therapy Assistant. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics anticipates jobs in this industry to increase by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this means over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is the fact that the average Occupational Therapy Assistant salary is greater than $53,000 per year making it one of the highest paying medical occupations that does not require a University Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Ukiah, CA
The initial step toward a career as an OTA is choosing the right Occupational Therapy School. There are presently approximately two hundred accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and nearly all the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you jump in and decide on a training program, make sure that you examine all of your alternatives to make sure you find an Occupational Therapy school that meets all your requirements.
Items You Should Consider When Deciding On an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is important because you can be certain you will learn about the full variety of competencies required to be a competent OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants assist patients on numerous types of health concerns and disorders so it is crucial that your training is very diverse instead of too concentrated on one particular area of specialization.
Another significant feature you must consider is the clinical education experience. This is the hands-on training, it is where you actually interact with actual patients and put your knowledge to use. Some schools apply substantially more time on your actual clinical experience as compared to other schools. In situations where your training program is not investing large amounts of time with clinical training, make sure that you find out why.
Something else to also consider is the class size. The size of your class can vary significantly from school to school. Be sure to find out the class sizes at all the schools you are looking at. Keep in mind, the smaller the class size , the more one-on-one time you will get with your professors.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online do not work for every student. Yet, for many of us online courses can alleviate a few of the burdens of being a full time student. Work and loved ones are sometimes driven aside as students carry on their training and online classes can provide a little flexibility to a busy schedule.
The final detail that you should consider before choosing an Occupational Therapy School is the graduation rate of the colleges you are evaluating. Make sure that you find out how many students complete the program, what their comments were, and just how many of them have gone to careers as OTA’s.
Recommended Occupational Therapy Schools in Ukiah, CA
- Want to explore human action and interaction? A psychology degree from GCU may be for you!
- Bachelor's and master's degrees offered conveniently online and on campus to fit your needs.
- Choose from a variety of program focuses at the bachelor's or master's level.
- Examine how personality and cognitive thinking is formed, developed and influenced.
- Science-based core curriculum that guides your knowledge of human behavior.
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Family Dynamics
- And more...
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 95% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
Back to School Scholarship Available to All New Students Until October 22nd.
Since 1996, Southern California Health Institute has been dedicated and committed to helping students achieve their dreams by providing an exceptional education that enables them to become skilled and successful manual therapists. We have graduated over 1,500 students who are now a part of a larger community of wellness and healthcare.
- Physical Therapy Aide/Sports Rehab Program
Building on Purdue's mission to provide greater access to affordable, world-class education, Purdue University Globaldelivers a fully personalized online experience that's tailored to working adults. By opening the doors to adults who need flexibility to fit learning into their busy lives, we make it possible to achieve a high-quality education from a prestigious university system—completely online.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
- Bachelor of Arts in Substance Abuse Counseling
What to Expect in OTA School
In most cases the course work is about 24 months, with the first year consisting of mostly class-room instruction and with the second year spent going through hands on training in a medical facility or private medical practice. Some of the course work a student will want to take includes pediatrics, gerontology, health care terms, and physical rehabilitation. All States that require licensure just call for a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree is needed if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but you will find that a majority of Occupational Therapist started their careers as Assistants and earned their Bachelor’s Degrees several years later.
Following graduation, those wanting to get started with their careers must become certified as an occupational therapist assistant. Each State has its own guidelines and regulations that are governed by an occupational therapy board, with many being private while others are run by the State exclusively. In California, licensing is administered by the California Board of Occupational Therapy. While each State is unique, there are a number of requirements which are common among most of them and can include the following.
An individual seeking an occupational therapy assistant license will have to be a U.S. citizen, must have a social security number and must have taken and completed applicable college course work as well as taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Every State requires a federal background check , although convictions are not necessarily automatic grounds for dismissal. A few States may consider processing an occupational therapist license as long as a written affidavit is filed to explain the circumstances of the conviction. Other factors including time frame and nature of the criminal offense may be evaluated and be taken into consideration to grant licensure .
Every State will provide an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensure packet that will include a number of forms to fill out. Never purchase these forms from a third party as they can be found online from many legitimate internet sites. It is important to take a very thorough look through the forms before trying to complete them. It will have official transcripts necessary; notarized signatures and several States will require you to include a fingerprint card which can be completed at a local police station.
Work Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA works with a number of different patients who may have needs that may be totally different the previous patient. You might be working in an outpatient facility with children who have food or texture aversions or maybe a hospital rehabilitation center working with a middle age woman with emotional struggles . Though an occupational therapy assistant possesses many job skills, a few of the basics including following direction, keeping up to date with the freshest techniques and implementing and employing the available technology are extremely important. Finally, a COTA also needs to be relatively physically fit, since you will have many instances of moving patients around, such as from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this sounds like the career for you, then take a few minutes to fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near Ukiah, CA that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant training. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Ukiah, CA reviewed by Lucas ALLEN on June 9.
Terrific Source of Info
Thank You for creating such an informative website. I was able to find more info about the various schools in my area and found one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my classes and can’t wait to become an OTA.