When you commence your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Union City, TN, you will probably soon discover that there has never been a better time to go after a career as an OTA. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics is expecting jobs within this field to increase by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this equals over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is the fact that the median Occupational Therapy Assistant earnings is over $53,000 yearly which makes it amongst the highest paying healthcare vocations that does not require a University Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Union City, TN
The first step towards a career as an OTA is selecting the best Occupational Therapy Program. There are at this time nearly 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the United States and Puerto Rico and most of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you dive in and decide on a school, it is very important to examine all of your alternatives and make sure you find an Occupational Therapy training program that fulfills all your requirements.
Details You Should Consider When Choosing an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is important because you will be reassured that you are going to be taught the full variety of skills needed to be a qualified OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants assist patients on a wide array of health problems and disorders therefore it is crucial that your training is very wide-ranging instead of too dedicated to a particular area of specialization.
Another important component you should think about is the clinical education experience. This is your hands-on training, it is when you are going to interact with real patients and put your skills to use. Some schools dedicate substantially more time on your actual clinical training as compared to others. In instances where your training program is not investing large amounts of time with clinical instructing, make sure that you find out why.
Another thing to also consider is the class size. The size of the classes may vary greatly from college to college. Make sure that you find out the class sizes at the schools you are researching. Keep in mind, the smaller the class size , the more one-on-one teaching that you receive with your trainers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online do not work for each individual student. However, for some online training courses can alleviate several of the burdens of being a full time student. Jobs and family tend to be driven aside while students pursue their training and online classes may offer a little flexibility to a busy life.
The final item you should look into prior to selecting an Occupational Therapy School is the graduation rate of the schools you are considering. Always find out how many trainees finish the program, what their comments were, and how many of them have gone to careers as OTA’s.
Suggested Occupational Therapy Schools in Union City, TN
- Fortis offers nursing programs including ADN, PN, BSN degrees, and more
- 40+ schools in 15 states including Florida, Arizona, Ohio, and Virginia
- All colleges are accredited by ABHES, ACCSC, ACICS, or other accrediting bodies
- Fortis Online serves benefits to US military service members
- Grants & scholarship aid may be available for qualifying students
- Associate of Occupational Science Degree in Management
- Occupational Therapy Assistant - Associate of Applied Science
- Pursue a Rewarding Career in a Field That Helps Individuals Better Their Lives With a Psychology Degree Online From Grand Canyon University
- Degree Emphases: General Psychology, Performance & Sport Psychology, Forensic Psychology, Geropsychology, Life Coaching and more.
- Discover how each person’s cognitive thinking is formed & influenced through class discussions and a capstone project.
- Prepare for a variety of career opportunities while studying human behavior and thought through GCU's psychology programs.
- Whether you are a full-time student or working professional, Grand Canyon University offers the flexibility you need to earn a psychology degree.
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Christian Counseling
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Childhood and Adolescence Disorders
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Trauma
- And more...
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology program helps students prepare for careers in counseling, marketing/sales, human services, ministry, and more.
- The School of Psychology & Counseling received a 95% match rate for 4th year Psy.D. student internships in 2015.
- Programmatic accreditation for psychology programs is provided by the American Psychological Association (APA).
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- M.A. in Human Services - Addictions Counseling
- Learn how you can make a difference in the Human Services field with a degree from Post
- 100% online Human Services BS degree
- Find concentrations in Counseling, Management, Psychology & more
- Ranked in the Best Online Bachelor’s Programs by the US News & World Report
- Post University earned the 2017 Military Spouse Friendly School® designation
- B.S. in Human Services / Counseling
- Graduate Certificate in Alcohol & Drug Counseling
- Graduate Certificate in Professional Counseling
- And more...
- Physical Therapist Assistant - Associate
What to Expect in OTA School
In most cases the course work is roughly 2 years, with the first year consisting of primarily classroom teaching and with the second year spent going through hands on instruction in a medical facility or private medical practice. Some of the course work a student will need to take includes pediatrics, gerontology, health care jargon, and physical rehab. All States that require licensure simply call for a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree shall be required if you intend on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but you will find that most Occupational Therapist began their careers as Assistants and obtained their Bachelor’s Degrees some time later.
Licensing Information and Facts
Following graduation, those prepared to get started with their careers must become licensed as an occupational therapist assistant. Each State has its own guidelines and specifications that are governed by an occupational therapy board, with a few being private and some run by the State exclusively. In Tennessee, licensing is administered by the Tennessee Board of Occupational Therapy & Physical Therapy Examiners. While every State is unique, there are a number of requirements that happen to be common among the majority of them and can include the following.
Any individual trying to get an occupational therapy assistant certificate must be a U.S. citizen, must have a social security number and needs to have taken and completed acceptable college course work as well as taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Every State requires a federal background check , but convictions are not necessarily immediate grounds for dismissal. Several States may consider approving an occupational therapy license as long as a written affidavit is submitted to describe the circumstances of the conviction. Additional factors including time frame and nature of the transgression may be reviewed and be taken into consideration to grant licensure .
Every State will provide an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensure package that will contain quite a few forms to fill out. You should not pay for these forms from a third party because they can be accessed online from many legitimate sites. It is recommended to take a very detailed look through the paper work before trying to complete them. You might have official transcripts necessary; notarized signatures and several States will need you to include a fingerprint card which can be completed at a local police station.
Workplace for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA works with a variety of patients who have needs which are often totally different than from the previous patient. You may be working for an outpatient facility with kids who may have food or texture aversions or maybe a hospital treatment facility working with a middle age woman with psychological struggles . Although an occupational therapy assistant has numerous job skills, a few of the basics like following direction, keeping up to date with the most up to date techniques and learning and applying the available technologies are extremely important. Finally, a COTA should be somewhat physically fit, as you will encounter several instances of transferring patients around, for example from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this sounds like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes and visit the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near Union City, TN that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant classes. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Union City, TN reviewed by Jaxon WARD on June 8.
Terrific Source of Info
Thank You for sharing such an informative website. I was able to find more info about the OTA schools in my area and chose one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my classes and can’t wait to become an Occupational Therapy Assistant.