As you commence your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Uniontown, PA, you will quickly discover that there has never been a better time to pursue a career as an OTA. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics expects jobs in this field to expand by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this means over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is the fact that the median Occupational Therapy Assistant pay is greater than $53,000 annually making it one of the highest paying health care jobs that does not call for a Bachelor’s Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Uniontown, PA
The first step towards a career as an OTA is finding the right Occupational Therapy Training Program. There are at this time just about 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the United States and Puerto Rico and most of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you jump in and pick a training program, you might want to consider all of your alternatives to make sure you find an Occupational Therapy training program that suits all your preferences.
Items You Must Consider When Selecting an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is essential because you can be reassured that you will learn about the full range of techniques required to be a competent OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on a wide array of health problems and disorders making it very important that your training is very wide-ranging instead of too concentrated on a particular discipline.
Another really important component you must consider is the clinical teaching experience. This is your practical training, and this is when you will interact with actual patients and put your skills to use. Some schools designate significantly more time on your actual practical experience in comparison to other schools. In cases where your school is not devoting large amounts of time with clinical instructing, make sure that you find out why.
Another thing to look into is the class size. The size of can vary considerably from college to college. Make sure that you find out the class sizes at all of schools you are looking at. Remember, the smaller the class size , the more one-on-one time you will get with your teachers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online might not work for every student. However, for many people online training courses can relieve a few of the burdens of being a full time student. Jobs and family are often times pushed aside while students pursue their education and learning and online classes may offer a little flexibility to a busy schedule.
The final factor you might want to evaluate before selecting an Occupational Therapy School is the graduation rate of the colleges you are looking at. Make sure to find out how many students complete the program, what their assessments were, and exactly how many of them have gone to become OTA’s.
Recommended Occupational Therapy Schools in Uniontown, PA
- Why Earn Your Degree from GCU?
- Options: Choose from a variety of undergraduate and graduate degree programs in Business, Nursing, Psychology, Education & more!
- Convenience: Complete courses online, on campus, or a combination of both!
- Earlier Graduation: Our 4-credit courses allow you to complete your degree program in less time.
- Transfer Friendly: We will request your transcripts, evaluate your graduate coursework, and determine your anticipated graduation date within 24 hours.
- Quality: Grand Canyon University was founded in 1949 and is regionally accredited. Learn more today!
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Christian Counseling
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Childhood and Adolescence Disorders
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Trauma
- And more...
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Master of Arts in Counseling - Clinical Mental Health
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
Building on Purdue's mission to provide greater access to affordable, world-class education, Purdue University Globaldelivers a fully personalized online experience that's tailored to working adults. By opening the doors to adults who need flexibility to fit learning into their busy lives, we make it possible to achieve a high-quality education from a prestigious university system—completely online.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
What to Expect in OTA School
In most cases the course work is about 2 years, with the first year consisting of mainly class-room instruction and with the second year spent carrying out hands on instruction in a medical facility or private medical practice. Some of the course work a student will be required to take includes pediatrics, gerontology, clinical terminology, and physical therapy. All States that require licensure just require a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree shall be necessary if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but the truth is you will find that a majority of Occupational Therapist began their careers as Assistants and received their Bachelor’s Degrees some time later.
Following graduation, those prepared to begin their careers will have to become licensed as an OTA. Every State has its own guidelines and specifications that are governed by an occupational therapy board, with a few being private and several run by the State exclusively. In Pennsylvania, licensing is handled by the Pennsylvania State Board of Occupational Therapy Education and Licensure. Although each State is unique, there are a number of requirements which are common among the majority of them and include the following.
Any person applying for an occupational therapy assistant license is required to be a U.S. citizen, will need to have a social security number and is required to have taken and passed applicable college course work and also taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Each State requires a federal background check , but convictions are not always automatic grounds for dismissal. A handful of States may consider processing an occupational therapist license in a case where a written affidavit is submitted to describe the circumstances of the conviction. Other factors including time and nature of the transgression may be examined and be considered to approve licensure .
Each State will provide an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensing kit that is going to include several forms to fill out. You should not pay for these forms from a third party because they can be accessed online from many trusted sites. It is advised to take a very in depth look through the paper work before trying to complete them. There will be official transcripts needed; notarized signatures and many States will want you to complete a fingerprint card which can be completed at a local police station.
Work Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA will work with an assortment of patients who may have needs which are often completely different the previous patient. You may be working for an outpatient facility with small children that have food or texture aversions or a hospital rehab center working with a middle age woman with psychological and mental struggles . Even though an occupational therapy assistant has a variety of job skills, a few of the basics like following direction, keeping up to date with the most up to date techniques and implementing and applying the available technologies are the most important. Finally, a COTA should be relatively physically fit, because there will be several instances of moving patients around, such as from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this sounds like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes to fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of training programs near Uniontown, PA that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant training. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Uniontown, PA reviewed by Chase BENNETT on June 2.
Terrific Source of Info
Thank You for sharing such an informative website. I was able to get great info about the various schools in my area and chose one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my classes and can’t wait to work as an OTA.