After you start your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Universal City, TX, you are going to quickly find that there has never been a better time to go after a career as an Occupational Therapy Assistant. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics anticipates jobs within this industry to grow by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this equates to over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is the fact that the average Occupational Therapy Assistant earnings is over $53,000 yearly making it among the highest paying healthcare jobs that does not call for a University Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Universal City, TX
The initial step toward a career as an OTA is choosing the right Occupational Therapy Training Program. There are currently nearly 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the United States and Puerto Rico and almost all of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you decide to jump in and pick a school, be sure that you consider all of your alternatives and make sure you find an Occupational Therapy school that matches all your preferences.
Things You Must Consider When Selecting an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is important because you will be certain you will be taught the full array of skills necessary to be a certified OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on a wide array of health conditions and disorders therefore it is really important that your schooling is very extensive rather then too concentrated on a particular area of specialization.
Another significant variable you should consider is the clinical learning experience. This is your hands-on training, and this is when you will interact with actual patients and put your skills to use. Some schools dedicate significantly more time on your actual laboratory experience when compared to the other schools. In instances where your training program is not devoting large amounts of time with clinical teaching, be sure that you ask why.
Another thing to think about is the class size. The size of your class will vary greatly from college to college. Make sure to find out the class sizes at all of schools you are considering. Keep in mind, the smaller the classes , the more one-on-one instruction that you receive with the instructors.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online may not work for every student. However, for some people online classes can alleviate some of the burdens of being a full time student. Work and household are frequently driven aside as students carry on their education and online classes provide some flexibility to a busy schedule.
The last factor that you have to check out before choosing an Occupational Therapy School is the success rate of the schools you are evaluating. Always find out how many trainees graduate from the program, what their assessments were, and just how many of them have gone to become Occupational Therapists.
Suggested Occupational Therapy Schools in Universal City, TX
We keep education relevant by employing instructors with real-world experience in the field, who bring their career backgrounds to the classroom. Our programs are continually assessed by faculty, staff and members of the business and education communities to help ensure your studies align with your career goals. Programs offered by Brightwood College focus on local employment needs, in areas such as allied health, nursing and technical and professional programs.
- Occupational Therapy Assistant
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 95% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Trauma
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Prevention
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Marriage and Family Therapy
- And more...
- Bachelor of Arts in Substance Abuse Counseling
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Master of Science) - Online
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Certificate) - Online
- Sports Counseling (Certificate) - Online
What to Expect in OTA School
Generally the course work is roughly 24 months, with the first year consisting of mostly class-room teaching and with the second year spent doing hands on instruction in a healthcare facility or private care office. Some of the course work a student will want to take involves pediatrics, gerontology, healthcare jargon, and physical rehab. All States that require licensure only want a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree is going to be needed if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but the truth is you will find that a majority of Occupational Therapist started their careers as Assistants and earned their Bachelor’s Degrees several years later.
Following graduation, those wanting to get started with their careers need to become licensed as an OTA. Every State has its own policies and specifications which are governed by an occupational therapy board, with a few being private and several run by the State exclusively. In Texas, licensing is handled by the Texas Executive Council of PT & OT Examiners. While every State is unique, there are a number of requirements that are common among many of them and include the following.
Any person seeking an occupational therapy assistant license will have to be a U.S. citizen, must have a social security number and is required to have taken and passed appropriate college course work as well as taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Every State requires a federal background check , however convictions are not always automatic grounds for dismissal. A handful of States may consider approving an occupational therapy license in a case where a written affidavit is turned in to clarify the circumstances of the conviction. Additional factors including time frame and nature of the transgression may be evaluated and be considered to grant licensure .
Every State will provide an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensing packet that will contain several forms to submit. Do not spend money on these forms from a third party since they can be found online from many reputable websites. It is recommended to take a very in depth look through the forms before trying to complete them. There will be official transcripts wanted; notarized signatures and many States will require you to submit a fingerprint card which can be completed at a local police station.
Work Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA will work with a number of different patients that have needs that could be completely different in comparison to the previous patient. You might be working in an outpatient facility with infants that happen to have food or texture aversions or maybe a hospital rehabilitation facility working with a middle age patient with psychological struggles . Though an occupational therapy assistant has a large number of job skills, some of the basics such as following direction, keeping up to date with the most up to date techniques and learning and employing the available technologies are the most important. Finally, a COTA must also be relatively physically fit, as you will encounter several instances of shifting patients around, such as from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this sounds like the career for you, then take a few minutes and fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of training programs near Universal City, TX that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant classes. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Universal City, TX reviewed by Evelyn TUCKER on June 9.
Terrific Source of Info
Thank You for creating such an informative website. I was able to find great info about the various schools in my area and chose one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my training and can’t wait to become an Occupational Therapist.