Once you start your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Urbana, OH, you will quickly realize that there has never been a better time to pursue a career as an OTA. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts jobs in this particular industry to expand by 43% over the 10 year period 2010-2020, this is over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The better news is the fact that the median Occupational Therapy Assistant pay is greater than $53,000 annually which makes it one of the highest paying medical jobs that does not require a University Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Urbana, OH
The first step toward a career as an OTA is selecting the best Occupational Therapy Training Program. There are at this time almost 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and most of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you decide to jump in and pick a school, make sure you examine all of your options and make sure you choose an Occupational Therapy training program that meets all your requirements.
Things You Must Consider When Deciding On an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is recommended because you can be reassured that you are going to be taught the full variety of skills required to be a competent OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants assist patients on an array of health problems and disorders therefore it is important that your schooling is very diverse rather then too concentrated on a particular area of specialization.
Another significant component you should consider is the clinical training experience. This is the hands-on training, it is when you will interact with real patients and put your skills to use. Some schools designate substantially more time on your actual laboratory training in comparison with other schools. In instances where your training program is not spending a considerable amount of time with clinical instructing, make sure to find out why.
Another thing to also consider is the class size. The size of will vary greatly from college to college. Be sure to find out the class sizes at all the schools you are researching. Bear in mind, the smaller the classes , the more one-on-one instruction that you receive with the teachers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online may not work for every student. However, for many of us online training courses can ease a few of the burdens of being a full time student. Work and family can be driven aside while students pursue their schooling and online classes may offer a bit of flexibility to a busy schedule.
The final factor you need to examine before choosing an Occupational Therapy School is the graduation rate of the colleges you are looking at. Make certain you find out how many people finish the program, what their evaluations were, and exactly how many of them have gone on to careers as OTA’s.
Suggested Occupational Therapy Schools in Urbana, OH
- Fortis offers nursing programs including ADN, PN, BSN degrees, and more
- 40+ schools in 15 states including Florida, Arizona, Ohio, and Virginia
- All colleges are accredited by ABHES, ACCSC, ACICS, or other accrediting bodies
- Fortis Online serves benefits to US military service members
- Grants & scholarship aid may be available for qualifying students
- Associate of Occupational Science Degree in Management
- Does the Human Mind Fascinate You? Study Psychology! Choose Your Degree:
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology
- Master of Science in Psychology with an Emphasis in General Psychology
- Master of Science in Psychology with an Emphasis in Industrial and Organizational Psychology
- Convenient online program options available for the master's and bachelor's degree.
- Speak to an enrollment counselor today and find the degree that is right for you!
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Christian Counseling
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Childhood and Adolescence Disorders
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Trauma
- And more...
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Master of Arts in Counseling - Clinical Mental Health
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
Building on Purdue's mission to provide greater access to affordable, world-class education, Purdue University Globaldelivers a fully personalized online experience that's tailored to working adults. By opening the doors to adults who need flexibility to fit learning into their busy lives, we make it possible to achieve a high-quality education from a prestigious university system—completely online.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
What to Expect in OTA School
In most cases the course work is approximately two years, with the first year consisting of predominantly class-room instruction and with the second year spent going through hands on lessons in a medical center or private care practice. Some of the course work a student will likely need to take involves pediatrics, gerontology, clinical jargon, and physical rehabilitation. All States that require licensure just require a two year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree is going to be necessary if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, however you will find that the majority of Occupational Therapist launched their careers as Assistants and achieved their Bachelor’s Degrees a few years later.
Licensing Information and Facts
Following graduation, those ready to get started on their careers must become certified as an occupational therapist assistant. Each State has its own rules and regulations that will be governed by an occupational therapy board, with a few being private and several run by the State exclusively. In Ohio, licensing is administered by the Ohio Occupational Therapy Physical Therapy and Athletic Trainers Board. Though every State is different, there are a number of requirements which happen to be common among many of them and can include the following.
Any individual trying to get an occupational therapy assistant certificate has to be a U.S. citizen, must have a social security number and must have taken and completed appropriate college course work as well as taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Every State requires a federal background check , but convictions are not always immediate grounds for dismissal. Certain States may consider approving an occupational therapist license if a written affidavit is filed to describe the circumstances of the conviction. Additional circumstances including time frame and nature of the crime may be assessed and be considered to approve licensure .
Every State will have an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensure package which will include a number of forms to submit. You should not spend money on these forms from a third party since they can be found online from many reputable web sites. It is recommended to take a very thorough look through the forms before attempting to complete them. There may be official transcripts wanted; notarized signatures and many States will want you to complete a fingerprint card which may be completed at a local police station.
Workplace for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA will work with many different patients that have needs which are often different compared to the previous patient. You might be working for an outpatient facility with small children that have food or texture aversions or maybe a hospital rehabilitation facility working with a middle age patient with emotional struggles . Even though an occupational therapy assistant possesses many job skills, a couple of the basics such as following direction, keeping up to date with the most up-to-date techniques and implementing and employing the available technologies are extremely important. Finally, a COTA also needs to be relatively physically fit, as you will have several instances of transferring patients around, including from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like the career for you, then take a few minutes to visit the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near Urbana, OH that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant training. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Urbana, OH reviewed by Sarah SHAW on June 3.
Terrific Source of Info
Thank You for creating such an informative website. I was able to find more info about the various schools in my area and found one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my training and can’t wait to become an Occupational Therapist.