When you begin your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Uvalde, TX, you should soon see that there has never been a better time for you to go after a career as an OTA. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics is expecting jobs in this industry to increase by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this equates to over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is the fact that the median Occupational Therapy Assistant pay is greater than $53,000 per year which makes it right there with the best paying health care vocations that does not call for a Four Year Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Uvalde, TX
The first step toward a career as an OTA is finding the best Occupational Therapy Program. There are at the moment approximately two hundred accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and most of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you decide to dive in and choose a school, you will need to consider all of your alternatives and make certain you locate an Occupational Therapy training program that suits all your requirements.
Items You Should Consider When Picking an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is recommended because you will be assured that you are going to learn about the full array of skills required to be a qualified OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants assist patients on numerous types of ailments and disorders so it is important that your training is very wide-ranging and not too concentrated on a particular area of specialization.
Another really important variable to take under consideration is the clinical teaching experience. This is your practical training, and this is when you are going to interact with real patients and put your skills to use. Some schools commit considerably more time on your actual laboratory training as compared to other schools. In instances where your school is not devoting a large amount of time with clinical instructing, make sure to find out why.
Something else to look into is the class sizes. The size of can vary greatly from school to school. Make sure you find out the class sizes at the schools you are considering. Bear in mind, the smaller the class size , the more one-on-one teaching that you receive with the professors.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online may not work for every student. However, for some online courses can relieve many of the burdens of being a full time student. Work and family members are sometimes pushed aside as students carry on their schooling and online classes may offer a bit of flexibility to a busy schedule.
The final item you might want to look at before selecting an Occupational Therapy School is the graduation rate of the colleges you are considering. Always find out how many trainees finish the program, what their reviews were, and exactly how many of them have gone on to become Occupational Therapists.
Featured Occupational Therapy Schools in Uvalde, TX
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Prevention
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- And more...
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
The Chicago School is a not-for-profit, regionally accredited institution with more than 4285 students at campuses across the country and online. TCSPP has been an innovator in the field of psychology and related behavioral science for more than 30 years.
- M.A. Clinical Psychology, Marital and Family Therapy Specialization
- Psy.D. Clinical Psychology
- Psy.D. Applied Clinical Psychology
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
WELCOME TO KAPLAN UNIVERSITY
Online Education That Fits Your Life
For 80 years, we’ve been preparing students for career success. We’ve led the wayso that our students can too.
Globally Renowned Purdue to Acquire Kaplan University
Purdue University, one of the nation's most respected universities, will acquire Kaplan University and create a new, nonprofit, public institution within the Purdue system. Pending regulatory approvals, this exciting transition is expected to take place later this year. This change will be seamless—during the transition, you will still be able to enroll at Kaplan University, earn a high-quality education, and meet your educational and career goals.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Master of Science) - Online
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Certificate) - Online
- Sports Counseling (Certificate) - Online
- Interested in Changing the Lives of Patients and People with Each New Discussion? Get Educated in the Psychology Field.
- Build the Capabilities and Connections to Power Your Future.
- Psychology, Human Services, Social Work Degree Programs and More From Top Colleges that Fit Your Needs.
- Find Schools Online or Near You & Get Info for FREE Today!
The Texas Center for Massage Therapy is a member of the Steiner Education Group, which is a subsidiary of Steiner Leisure Limited, a global provider of spa services. Steiner Leisure Limited operates more than 175 spas and salons on cruise ships and at resorts worldwide. Steiner spas recruit from the Steiner Education Group schools.
Classes start November 13!
What to Expect in OTA School
Generally the course work is about two years, with the first year consisting of primarily classroom teaching and with the second year spent doing hands on training in a medical facility or private care practice. Some of the course work a student will need to take involves pediatrics, gerontology, clinical terminology, and physical rehab. All States that require licensure simply want a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree will be required if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but you will find that almost all Occupational Therapist launched their careers as Assistants and obtained their Bachelor’s Degrees a few years later.
Following graduation, those ready to start their careers will have to become licensed as an occupational therapist assistant. Each State has its own policies and specifications which are governed by an occupational therapy board, with many being private and some run by the State exclusively. In Texas, licensing is administrated by the Texas Executive Council of PT & OT Examiners. Although each State is different, there are a number of requirements which are common among most of them and include the following.
Any individual applying for an occupational therapy assistant certificate will have to be a U.S. citizen, must have a social security number and must have taken and completed acceptable college course work in addition to having taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Every State requires a federal background check , although convictions are not necessarily automatic grounds for dismissal. A number of States may consider approving an occupational therapist license if a written affidavit is filed to explain the circumstances of the conviction. Additional circumstances including time frame and nature of the transgression may be assessed and be considered to grant licensure .
Each State will provide an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensure package which will contain several forms to complete. Never buy these forms from a third party because they can be found online from many reputable sites. It is advised to take a very thorough look through the forms before trying to complete them. There will be official transcripts needed; notarized signatures and many States will need you to turn in a fingerprint card which can be completed at a local police station.
Workplace for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA works with a variety of patients who may have needs that may be different in comparison to the previous patient. You could be working for an outpatient facility with young children that happen to have food or texture aversions or perhaps a hospital rehab center working with a middle age patient with emotional struggles . Although an occupational therapy assistant possesses a large number of job skills, a couple of the basics including following direction, keeping up to date with the most current techniques and implementing and using the available technology are extremely important. Finally, a COTA should be relatively physically fit, as you will encounter several instances of transferring patients around, including from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like the career for you, then take a few minutes to visit the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near Uvalde, TX that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant training. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Uvalde, TX reviewed by Lillian SIMPSON on June 16.
Terrific Source of Info
Thank You for creating such an informative website. I was able to get great info about the OTA schools in my area and found one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my classes and can’t wait to become an OTA.