When you commence your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Vernon, CT, you are going to quickly learn that there has never been a better time for you to pursue a career as an OTA. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics expects jobs in this particular field to increase by 43% over the 10 year period 2010-2020, this is over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is the fact that the average Occupational Therapy Assistant wage is greater than $53,000 annually which makes it one of the best paying health care professions that does not call for a University Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Vernon, CT
The first step towards a career as an OTA is finding the right Occupational Therapy Program. There are presently just about 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and nearly all the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you decide to jump in to pick a school, it is important to think about all of your options to make certain you choose an Occupational Therapy training program that satisfies all your needs.
Items You Should Consider When Deciding On an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is recommended because you will be certain you will be taught the full array of competencies necessary to be a knowledgeable OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on numerous types of health conditions and disorders therefore it is essential that your schooling is very diversified and not too focused on one particular discipline.
Another very important component you should think about is the clinical teaching experience. This is your hands-on training, it is when you are able to interact with real patients and put your skills to use. Some schools allocate significantly more time on your actual laboratory experience when compared to the other training programs. In instances where your training program is not investing large amounts of time with clinical training, be sure that you find out why.
Something else to consider is the class size. The size of the classes will vary significantly from college to college. Make sure to find out the class sizes at all of schools you are looking at. Try to remember, the smaller the class size , the more one-on-one time you will get with the instructors.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online do not work for every student. Yet, for many of us online courses can ease many of the burdens of being a full time student. Jobs and household will often be driven aside while students carry on their education and online classes may offer some flexibility to a busy life.
The final thing you ought to look at before choosing an Occupational Therapy School is the graduation rate of the schools you are considering. Always find out how many students graduate from the program, what their assessments were, and just how many of them have gone to become Occupational Therapy Assistants.
Suggested Occupational Therapy Schools in Vernon, CT
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology program helps students prepare for careers in counseling, marketing/sales, human services, ministry, and more.
- The School of Psychology & Counseling received a 95% match rate for 4th year Psy.D. student internships in 2015.
- Programmatic accreditation for psychology programs is provided by the American Psychological Association (APA).
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- M.A. in Human Services - Addictions Counseling
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Does the Human Mind Fascinate You? Study Psychology! Choose Your Degree:
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology
- Master of Science in Psychology with an Emphasis in General Psychology
- Master of Science in Psychology with an Emphasis in Industrial and Organizational Psychology
- Convenient online program options available for the master's and bachelor's degree.
- Speak to an enrollment counselor today and find the degree that is right for you!
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Family Dynamics
- And more...
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Founded in 1949 as a private, accredited, nondenominational Christian university located in Phoenix, Arizona.
- Its student-faculty ratio is 16:1 and 33.9% of its classes have fewer than 20 students.
- Encourages students to find their purpose in Christ, with an emphasis on applying Christian values and ethics to the workplace.
- Provides Student Success Webinars where tutors provide tips and tricks to help make college a little easier.
- Offers programs in business, psychology, theology, engineering, communications, and more.
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Community Mental Health Administration
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- And more...
Building on Purdue's mission to provide greater access to affordable, world-class education, Purdue University Globaldelivers a fully personalized online experience that's tailored to working adults. By opening the doors to adults who need flexibility to fit learning into their busy lives, we make it possible to achieve a high-quality education from a prestigious university system—completely online.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Health Psychology - MA in Psychology
- Health Psychology - C.A.G.S. in Psychology
- And more...
What to Expect in OTA School
In most cases the course work is approximately 24 months, with the first year consisting of primarily class-room teaching and with the second year spent doing hands on instruction in a medical center or private medical practice. Some of the course work a student will likely need to take involves pediatrics, gerontology, clinical terminology, and physical rehabilitation. All States that require licensure just call for a two year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree shall be needed if you intend on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but you will find that a majority of Occupational Therapist launched their careers as Assistants and earned their Bachelor’s Degrees several years later.
Following graduation, those prepared to get started on their careers will need to become licensed as an occupational therapist assistant. Each State has its own policies and specifications which are governed by an occupational therapy board, with many being private and some run by the State exclusively. In Connecticut, licensing is controlled by the Connecticut Department of Public Health Occupational Therapy Licensure. While each State is unique, there are a number of requirements that happen to be common among many of them and can include the following.
A person trying to get an occupational therapy assistant license is required to be a U.S. citizen, must have a social security number and must have taken and passed applicable college course work in addition to having taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Every State requires a federal background check , however convictions are not always immediate grounds for dismissal. Some States may consider approving an occupational therapist license if a written affidavit is turned in to clarify the circumstances of the conviction. Additional factors including time frame and nature of the criminal offense may be evaluated and be considered to approve licensure .
Every State will have an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensure packet which will include quite a few forms to submit. Do not buy these forms from a third party since they can be found online from many trustworthy web sites. It is important to take a very extensive look through the paper work before attempting to complete them. It will have official transcripts wanted; notarized signatures and many States will require you to include a fingerprint card that can be completed at a local police station.
Work Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA works with an assortment of patients who may have needs which may be completely different in comparison to the previous patient. You could be working for an outpatient facility with small children who may have food or texture aversions or a hospital rehab facility working with a middle age woman with psychological and mental struggles . Even though an occupational therapy assistant possesses numerous job skills, a few of the basics including following direction, keeping up to date with the latest techniques and implementing and using the available technologies are the most important. Finally, a COTA must also be somewhat physically fit, because you will encounter plenty of instances of transferring patients around, including from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this sounds like the career for you, then take a few minutes and visit the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of training programs near Vernon, CT that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant training. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Vernon, CT reviewed by Vinnie DANIELS on June 3.
Thank You for creating such an informative website. I was able to find great info about the various schools in my area and found one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my training and can’t wait to work as an OTA.