Once you begin your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Vernon, TX, you are going to soon learn that there has never been a better time for you to pursue a career as an OTA. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics expects jobs within this field to grow by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this means over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is the fact that the median Occupational Therapy Assistant salary is greater than $53,000 yearly which makes it right there with the best paying medical-related jobs that does not require a University Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Vernon, TX
The first step towards a career as an OTA is finding the right Occupational Therapy Training Program. There are presently approximately 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the United States and Puerto Rico and most of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you decide to dive in and select a training program, make sure that you think about all of the options to make sure you choose an Occupational Therapy school that fulfills all your requirements.
Things You Must Consider When Choosing an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is essential because you can be certain that you will learn about the full variety of competencies necessary to be a qualified OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants assist patients on an array of health problems and disorders therefore it is essential that your training is very diversified and not too dedicated to one particular discipline.
Another really important factor you should think about is the clinical training experience. This is your hands-on training, and this is where you actually interact with actual patients and put your abilities to use. Some schools commit substantially more time on your actual clinical experience when compared to other schools. In situations where your school is not investing a considerable amount of time with clinical instructing, make sure that you ask why.
Another thing to look into is the class size. The size of can vary considerably from school to school. Make sure you find out the class sizes at all of schools you are looking at. Try to remember, the smaller the class size , the more one-on-one instruction you will get with the teachers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online may not work for every student. However, for some online courses can alleviate many of the burdens of being a full time student. Jobs and household are sometimes pushed aside as students carry on their education and online classes can offer some flexibility to a busy life.
The final thing you ought to check out before choosing an Occupational Therapy School is the rate of the colleges you are looking at. Make sure to find out how many people complete the program, what their reviews were, and just how many of them have gone on to careers as OTA’s.
Recommended Occupational Therapy Schools in Vernon, TX
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Prevention
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- And more...
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Designated a 2015 Military Friendly School by Victory Media for the 4th consecutive year.
- Listed on the President’s Higher Education Community Service Honor Roll in 2013, for the sixth consecutive year
- Links students to hundreds of training opportunities (beyond their traditional internships and practicum) at their many “partner agencies” in each of their local communities.
- Accredited by the WASC Senior College and University Commission (WUSCUC).
- M.A. Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- Interested in Changing the Lives of Patients and People with Each New Discussion? Get Educated in the Psychology Field.
- Build the Capabilities and Connections to Power Your Future.
- Psychology, Human Services, Social Work Degree Programs and More From Top Colleges that Fit Your Needs.
- Find Schools Online or Near You & Get Info for FREE Today!
The Texas Center for Massage Therapy is a member of the Steiner Education Group, which is a subsidiary of Steiner Leisure Limited, a global provider of spa services. Steiner Leisure Limited operates more than 175 spas and salons on cruise ships and at resorts worldwide. Steiner spas recruit from the Steiner Education Group schools.
Classes start November 13!
REACH HIGHER, GET HIRED
Take the step to get a new career today
SPARK SUCCESS WITH SCI
Southern Careers Institute has maintained a tradition of career training for over 50 years in Texas with campuses in Austin, Brownsville, Corpus Christi, Harlingen, Pharr, San Antonio & Online courses available to anyone, anywhere.
At SCI, we have made it our mission to provide our students with the training they need to be successful in a new career. We offer career training in Medical, Business, Skilled Trades, Cosmetology, & Technology programs. These certification-based programs are designed to make our graduates some of the most marketable job candidates.
We are Texas born, Texas proud.
The goal of Virginia College lies in its responsibility to its students, the technical and business communities, and the general citizenry. We have a long history of offering new direction to students.
What to Expect in OTA School
In most cases the course work is approximately two years, with the first year consisting of predominantly classroom instruction and with the second year spent carrying out hands on instruction in a medical center or private medical office. Some of the course work a student will need to take includes pediatrics, gerontology, healthcare jargon, and physical rehab. All States that require licensure simply require a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree will be required if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, however you will find that the majority of Occupational Therapist began their careers as Assistants and achieved their Bachelor’s Degrees several years later.
Following graduation, those wanting to begin their careers need to become licensed as an occupational therapist assistant. Every State has its own rules and specifications that are governed by an occupational therapy board, with a few being private and some run by the State exclusively. In Texas, licensing is administrated by the Texas Executive Council of PT & OT Examiners. Though each State is unique, there are a number of requirements which happen to be common among the majority of them and include the following.
Any person attempting to get an occupational therapy assistant license will have to be a U.S. citizen, needs to have a social security number and must have taken and passed appropriate college course work as well as taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Every State requires a federal background check , but convictions are not necessarily immediate grounds for dismissal. Certain States may consider processing an occupational therapy license as long as a written affidavit is filed to clarify the circumstances of the conviction. Additional circumstances including time frame and nature of the criminal offense may be reviewed and be considered to grant licensure .
Each State will have an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensing package that will contain numerous forms to submit. Do not spend money on these forms from a third party because they can be found online from many reputable web sites. It is recommended to take a very comprehensive look through the paper work before attempting to complete them. There will be official transcripts required; notarized signatures and several States will need you to turn in a fingerprint card which may be completed at a local police station.
Workplace for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA works with a variety of patients who have needs which may be different than from the previous patient. You may be working in an outpatient facility with toddlers that happen to have food or texture aversions or perhaps a hospital rehab center working with a middle age woman with psychological and mental struggles . Even though an occupational therapy assistant has a large number of job skills, some of the basics like following direction, keeping up to date with the most up to date techniques and implementing and applying the available technologies are the most important. Finally, a COTA should be somewhat physically fit, since you will encounter many instances of transferring patients around, including from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes to fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near Vernon, TX that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant training. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Vernon, TX reviewed by Nolan HUGHES on June 12.
Very Helpful Site
Thank You for sharing such an informative website. I was able to get great info about the various schools in my area and found one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my training and can’t wait to become an Occupational Therapist.