As you commence your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Vidor, TX, you should quickly see that there has never been a better time for you to go after a career as an OTA. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics expects jobs within this industry to increase by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this is over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The better news is the fact that the average Occupational Therapy Assistant earnings is greater than $53,000 annually making it one of the best paying medical jobs that does not require a Four Year Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Vidor, TX
The initial step toward a career as an OTA is finding the right Occupational Therapy School. There are currently nearly 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and most of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you decide to jump in to select a school, you might want to think about all of your alternatives to make sure you find an Occupational Therapy training program that matches all your needs.
Details You Must Consider When Choosing an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is essential because you will be reassured that you are going to learn about the full variety of techniques needed to be an effective OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on a wide array of issues and disorders so it is essential that your schooling is very diverse instead of too concentrated on one particular discipline.
Another very important feature to take under consideration is the clinical learning experience. This is the practical training, it is when you are going to interact with actual patients and put your abilities to use. Some schools allocate considerably more time on your actual clinical experience in comparison to other schools. In situations where your school is not spending a considerable amount of time with clinical teaching, be sure that you find out why.
Something else to look into is the class sizes. The size of can vary greatly from college to college. Make sure that you find out the class sizes at all of schools you are considering. Remember, the smaller the classes , the more one-on-one instruction you will get with the instructors.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online may not work for every student. However, for some people online training can relieve a few of the burdens of being a full time student. Jobs and family can be driven aside as students carry on their education and learning and online classes can provide a bit of flexibility to a busy schedule.
The last item you ought to take a look at before selecting an Occupational Therapy School is the graduation rate of the training programs you are looking at. Make certain you find out how many trainees graduate from the program, what their evaluations were, and just how many of them have gone on to become Occupational Therapy Assistants.
Recommended Occupational Therapy Schools in Vidor, TX
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology program helps students prepare for careers in counseling, marketing/sales, human services, ministry, and more.
- The School of Psychology & Counseling received a 95% match rate for 4th year Psy.D. student internships in 2015.
- Programmatic accreditation for psychology programs is provided by the American Psychological Association (APA).
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- M.A. in Human Services - Addictions Counseling
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Psychology Degree Online From Grand Canyon University
- Emphases: General Psychology, Forensic Psychology, Geropsychology, Life Coaching and more
- Discover how each person’s cognitive thinking is formed & influenced
- Study human behavior and thought
- Flexibility for full-time students or working professionals
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Family Dynamics
- And more...
- Founded in 1949 as a private, accredited, nondenominational Christian university located in Phoenix, Arizona.
- Its student-faculty ratio is 16:1 and 33.9% of its classes have fewer than 20 students.
- Encourages students to find their purpose in Christ, with an emphasis on applying Christian values and ethics to the workplace.
- Provides Student Success Webinars where tutors provide tips and tricks to help make college a little easier.
- Offers programs in business, psychology, theology, engineering, communications, and more.
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Community Mental Health Administration
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- And more...
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
Building on Purdue's mission to provide greater access to affordable, world-class education, Purdue University Globaldelivers a fully personalized online experience that's tailored to working adults. By opening the doors to adults who need flexibility to fit learning into their busy lives, we make it possible to achieve a high-quality education from a prestigious university system—completely online.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Health Psychology - MA in Psychology
- Health Psychology - C.A.G.S. in Psychology
- And more...
What to Expect in OTA School
In most cases the course work is approximately 2 years, with the first year being mainly class-room instruction and with the second year spent doing hands on learning in a hospital facility or private care office. Some of the course work a student will have to take includes pediatrics, gerontology, health care jargon, and physical rehabilitation. All States that require licensure just call for a two year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree is needed if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but the truth is you will find that a majority of Occupational Therapist launched their careers as Assistants and obtained their Bachelor’s Degrees some time later.
Following graduation, those ready to begin their careers must become certified as an OTA. Every State has its own guidelines and specifications that are governed by an occupational therapy board, with some being private and some run by the State exclusively. In Texas, licensing is controlled by the Texas Executive Council of PT & OT Examiners. While every State is different, there are a number of requirements that happen to be common among many of them and include the following.
Someone applying for an occupational therapy assistant certificate must be a U.S. citizen, needs to have a social security number and must have taken and passed acceptable college course work as well as taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Every State requires a federal background check , although convictions are not necessarily automatic grounds for dismissal. Some States may consider processing an occupational therapist license in a case where a written affidavit is submitted to describe the circumstances of the conviction. Additional circumstances including time and nature of the criminal offense may be assessed and be taken into consideration to grant licensure .
Every State will provide an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensing package that will include a number of forms to fill out. Do not buy these forms from a third party because they can be accessed online from many legitimate websites. It is advised to take a very comprehensive look through the paper work before attempting to complete them. It will have official transcripts wanted; notarized signatures and several States will need you to complete a fingerprint card that can be completed at a local police station.
Job Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA works with a number of different patients who may have needs which are often different than from the previous patient. You may be working for an outpatient clinic with children who have food or texture aversions or perhaps a hospital rehab center working with a middle age patient with psychological and mental struggles . Though an occupational therapy assistant has a large number of job skills, some of the basics like following direction, keeping up to date with the most up-to-date techniques and learning and applying the available technology are the most important. Finally, a COTA should also be relatively physically fit, since there will be plenty of instances of shifting patients around, such as from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes to fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of training programs near Vidor, TX that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant training. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Vidor, TX reviewed by Brody BUTLER on June 12.
Thank You for sharing such an informative website. I was able to get more info about the various schools in my area and chose one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my classes and can’t wait to become an OTA.