When you begin your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Wabash, IN, you will probably soon learn that there has never been a better time for you to go after a career as an OTA. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics anticipates jobs in this industry to increase by 43% over the 10 year period 2010-2020, this is over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The better news is the fact that the average Occupational Therapy Assistant pay is greater than $53,000 annually which makes it among the highest paying health care occupations that does not require a Bachelor’s Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Wabash, IN
The first step toward a career as an OTA is finding the right Occupational Therapy Program. There are presently nearly 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and almost all of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you jump in and select a school, make sure that you analyze all of the options and make sure you choose an Occupational Therapy school that matches all your requirements.
Items You Must Consider When Deciding On an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is important because you can be assured that you will learn about the full variety of skills needed to be a knowledgeable OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants assist patients on a wide variety of ailments and disorders making it imperative that your course work is very diverse rather then too focused on a particular discipline.
Another significant component you should consider is the clinical education experience. This is the hands-on training, it is where you are able to interact with real patients and put your abilities to use. Some schools designate significantly more time on your actual clinical training as compared to other training programs. In situations where your school is not spending a considerable amount of time with clinical teaching, make sure to ask why.
Another thing to look into is the class sizes. The size of can vary significantly from school to school. Make sure that you find out the class sizes at all of schools you are considering. Keep in mind, the smaller the classes , the more one-on-one instruction you will get with the trainers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online may not work for every student. Nevertheless, for some online training courses can relieve many of the burdens of being a full time student. Job and loved ones are often times pushed aside while students continue their education and learning and online classes may offer a little flexibility to a busy life.
The final detail you need to evaluate before selecting an Occupational Therapy School is the success rate of the training programs you are considering. Make certain you find out how many trainees finish the program, what their comments were, and exactly how many of them have gone on to become Occupational Therapists.
Featured Occupational Therapy Schools in Wabash, IN
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Does the Human Mind Fascinate You? Study Psychology! Choose Your Degree:
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology
- Master of Science in Psychology with an Emphasis in General Psychology
- Master of Science in Psychology with an Emphasis in Industrial and Organizational Psychology
- Convenient online program options available for the master's and bachelor's degree.
- Speak to an enrollment counselor today and find the degree that is right for you!
- B.S. in Behavioral Health Science - Trauma
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
The Chicago School is a not-for-profit, regionally accredited institution with more than 4285 students at campuses across the country and online. TCSPP has been an innovator in the field of psychology and related behavioral science for more than 30 years.
- M.A. Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- Psy.D. Clinical Psychology
- Bachelor of Arts in Substance Abuse Counseling
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Master of Science) - Online
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Certificate) - Online
- Sports Counseling (Certificate) - Online
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
As a community of initiative, University of the Southwest challenges graduates to become enterprising members of our society contributing to the common good by advocating and participating in the productive commerce of free enterprise, the constitutional privilege of self-government, and the practical contributions of community service.
- MSE Mental Health
What to Expect in OTA School
In most cases the course work is approximately 2 years, with the first year being predominantly classroom instruction and with the second year spent carrying out hands on instruction in a medical facility or private medical office. Some of the course work a student will have to take includes pediatrics, gerontology, medical terms, and physical therapy. All States that require licensure just want a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree is required if you intend on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, however you will find that the majority of Occupational Therapist began their careers as Assistants and achieved their Bachelor’s Degrees a couple of years later.
Following graduation, those prepared to begin their careers must become licensed as an OTA. Each State has its own guidelines and regulations which are governed by an occupational therapy board, with some being private while others are run by the State exclusively. In Indiana, licensing is handled by the Indiana Occupational Therapy Committee. Although each State is unique, there are a number of requirements which happen to be common among the majority of them and can include the following.
Any individual seeking an occupational therapy assistant license will have to be a U.S. citizen, must have a social security number and is required to have taken and passed acceptable college course work and also taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Every State requires a federal background check , although convictions are not necessarily automatic grounds for dismissal. A few States may consider approving an occupational therapist license in a case where a written affidavit is turned in to describe the circumstances of the conviction. Other factors including time and nature of the offense may be assessed and be considered to approve licensure .
Each State will provide an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensure packet which will include many forms to complete. Never pay for these forms from a third party as they can be accessed online from many trusted web sites. It is recommended to take a very in depth look through the forms before trying to complete them. There may be official transcripts necessary; notarized signatures and many States will require you to submit a fingerprint card which can be completed at a local police station.
Workplace for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA works with many different patients which have needs which may be very different than from the previous patient. You could be employed in an outpatient facility with toddlers who have food or texture aversions or a hospital rehabilitation center working with a middle age man with emotional struggles . Though an occupational therapy assistant possesses a large number of job skills, some of the basics such as following direction, keeping up to date with the latest techniques and implementing and employing the available technology are the most important. Finally, a COTA must also be reasonably physically fit, since you will have numerous instances of shifting patients around, including from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like the career for you, then take a few minutes to visit the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near Wabash, IN that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant classes. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Wabash, IN reviewed by Brandon COOK on June 15.
Thank You for creating such an informative website. I was able to get a lot of info about the OTA schools in my area and chose one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my classes and can’t wait to become an OTA.