Once you begin your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Washington, MO, you should quickly realize that there has never been a better time to pursue a career as an OTA. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts jobs in this particular field to grow by 43% over the 10 year period 2010-2020, this is over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The better news is the fact that the average Occupational Therapy Assistant wage is over $53,000 annually which makes it among the best paying medical professions that does not require a Four Year Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Washington, MO
The initial step towards a career as an OTA is finding the right Occupational Therapy Training Program. There are at this time almost two hundred accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and nearly all the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you dive in and pick a school, it is very important to analyze all of the options to make certain you find an Occupational Therapy training program that suits all your preferences.
Details You Should Consider When Picking an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is important because you can be certain you will be taught the full range of skills necessary to be a competent OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on a wide array of conditions and disorders therefore it is very important that your course work is very wide-ranging and not too focused on one particular discipline.
Another really important factor you should think about is the clinical education experience. This is your hands-on training, and this is where you will interact with real patients and put your skills to use. Some schools apply significantly more time on your actual practical training in comparison with other training programs. In cases where your school is not spending large amounts of time with clinical training, be sure that you ask why.
Something else to also consider is the class sizes. The size of can vary greatly from school to school. Make sure to find out the class sizes at all the schools you are considering. Remember, the smaller the classes , the more one-on-one time that you receive with the trainers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online may not work for every student. However, for some online courses can ease some of the burdens of being a full time student. Job and family are often driven aside as students continue their schooling and online classes can provide a bit of flexibility to a busy schedule.
The final item you need to look into before selecting an Occupational Therapy School is the graduation rate of the training programs you are looking at. Make sure to find out how many students finish the program, what their opinions were, and how many of them have gone on to become Occupational Therapy Assistants.
Recommended Occupational Therapy Schools in Washington, MO
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology program helps students prepare for careers in counseling, marketing/sales, human services, ministry, and more.
- The School of Psychology & Counseling received a 95% match rate for 4th year Psy.D. student internships in 2015.
- Programmatic accreditation for psychology programs is provided by the American Psychological Association (APA).
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- M.A. in Human Services - Addictions Counseling
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Why Earn Your Degree from GCU?
- Options: Choose from a variety of undergraduate and graduate degree programs in Business, Nursing, Psychology, Education & more!
- Convenience: Complete courses online, on campus, or a combination of both!
- Earlier Graduation: Our 4-credit courses allow you to complete your degree program in less time.
- Transfer Friendly: We will request your transcripts, evaluate your graduate coursework, and determine your anticipated graduation date within 24 hours.
- Quality: Grand Canyon University was founded in 1949 and is regionally accredited. Learn more today!
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Christian Counseling
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- Founded in 1949 as a private, accredited, nondenominational Christian university located in Phoenix, Arizona.
- Its student-faculty ratio is 16:1 and 33.9% of its classes have fewer than 20 students.
- Encourages students to find their purpose in Christ, with an emphasis on applying Christian values and ethics to the workplace.
- Provides Student Success Webinars where tutors provide tips and tricks to help make college a little easier.
- Offers programs in business, psychology, theology, engineering, communications, and more.
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Community Mental Health Administration
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- And more...
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
Building on Purdue's mission to provide greater access to affordable, world-class education, Purdue University Globaldelivers a fully personalized online experience that's tailored to working adults. By opening the doors to adults who need flexibility to fit learning into their busy lives, we make it possible to achieve a high-quality education from a prestigious university system—completely online.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Health Psychology - MA in Psychology
- Health Psychology - C.A.G.S. in Psychology
- And more...
What to Expect in OTA School
Generally the course work is approximately two years, with the first year being mostly class-room teaching and with the second year spent doing hands on training in a medical facility or private care practice. Some of the course work a student will be required to take includes pediatrics, gerontology, health care jargon, and physical rehab. All States that require licensure just call for a two year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree will be needed if you intend on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but you will find that the majority of Occupational Therapist began their careers as Assistants and achieved their Bachelor’s Degrees several years later.
Following graduation, those wanting to get started with their careers have to become licensed as an OTA. Each State has its own policies and specifications that will be governed by an occupational therapy board, with many being private and some run by the State exclusively. In Missouri, licensing is handled by the Missouri State Board of Occupational Therapy. Even though each State is different, there are a number of requirements which are common among the majority of them and can include the following.
A person applying for an occupational therapy assistant certificate has to be a U.S. citizen, must have a social security number and needs to have taken and passed acceptable college course work as well as taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Every State requires a federal background check , but convictions are not always immediate grounds for dismissal. Several States may consider approving an occupational therapy license if a written affidavit is filed to describe the circumstances of the conviction. Other factors including time frame and nature of the transgression may be assessed and be taken into consideration to grant licensure .
Every State will have an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensure package that is going to contain a number of forms to complete. You should not spend money on these forms from a third party as they can be accessed online from many legitimate websites. It is recommended to take a very in depth look through the paper work before attempting to complete them. You might have official transcripts needed; notarized signatures and many States will require you to include a fingerprint card which can be completed at a local police station.
Workplace for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA works with a number of different patients that have needs that may be very different than from the previous patient. You may be working for an outpatient clinic with infants that have food or texture aversions or maybe a hospital rehabilitation center working with a middle age woman with psychological and mental struggles . Even though an occupational therapy assistant possesses a large number of job skills, some of the basics including following direction, keeping up to date with the most up to date techniques and implementing and employing the available technologies are extremely important. Finally, a COTA also needs to be somewhat physically fit, as you will have numerous instances of moving patients around, for example from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like the career for you, then take a few minutes to fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near Washington, MO that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant classes. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Washington, MO reviewed by Grace MURRAY on June 3.
Thank You for sharing such an informative website. I was able to find a lot of info about the OTA schools in my area and chose one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my training and can’t wait to work as an Occupational Therapy Assistant.