After you commence your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Waupun, WI, you can expect to soon realize that there has never been a better time to go after a career as an OTA. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics is expecting jobs within this field to increase by 43% over the 10 year period 2010-2020, this is over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The better news is that the average Occupational Therapy Assistant wage is greater than $53,000 annually which makes it one of the best paying health care vocations that does not call for a Four Year Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Waupun, WI
The first step toward a career as an OTA is finding the best Occupational Therapy Program. There are at the moment just about 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the United States and Puerto Rico and nearly all the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you dive in to decide on a training program, it is very important to evaluate all of your options and make certain you locate an Occupational Therapy training program that meets all your preferences.
Things You Must Consider When Deciding On an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is recommended because you will be confident you will learn about the full range of techniques needed to be a certified OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants assist patients on a wide array of ailments and disorders therefore it is essential that your schooling is very extensive and not too concentrated on a particular discipline.
Another very important variable you should look at is the clinical education experience. This is your hands-on training, and this is where you actually interact with actual patients and put your knowledge to use. Some schools commit significantly more time on your actual laboratory training as compared to others. In cases where your training program is not spending a considerable amount of time with clinical training, be sure that you ask why.
Something else to consider is the class sizes. The size of the classes will vary greatly from school to school. Make an effort to find out the class sizes at the schools you are researching. Remember, the smaller the class size , the more one-on-one time you will get with the professors.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online might not work for each individual student. Yet, for many of us online courses can ease a few of the burdens of being a full time student. Job and family members are sometimes driven aside while students continue their education and learning and online classes provide some flexibility to a busy schedule.
The final factor that you have to take a look at before choosing an Occupational Therapy School is the success rate of the colleges you are looking at. Make sure you find out how many students graduate from the program, what their evaluations were, and just how many of them have gone to become OTA’s.
Recommended Occupational Therapy Schools in Waupun, WI
- Does psychology interest you? See if Grand Canyon University could be a good fit for your journey in discovering the human mind!
- GCU offers a Bachelor of Science in Psychology and a Master of Science in Psychology with an emphasis in either General Psychology or Industrial & Organizational Psychology.
- The College of Humanities and Social Sciences at GCU provides a job focused education, blending the study of traditional humanities in a modern context.
- GCU offers a variety of learning options, including: traditional degree programs offered at our main campus, online degrees, or evening classes meeting once a week at various locations.
- Founded in 1949, GCU is a regionally accredited, private Christian university and is recognized as offering some of the best online education programs in the nation.
- Request information and learn more about our program offerings, start dates, financial aid and more!
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Prevention
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- And more...
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Designated a 2015 Military Friendly School by Victory Media for the 4th consecutive year.
- Listed on the President’s Higher Education Community Service Honor Roll in 2013, for the sixth consecutive year
- Links students to hundreds of training opportunities (beyond their traditional internships and practicum) at their many “partner agencies” in each of their local communities.
- Accredited by the WASC Senior College and University Commission (WUSCUC).
- M.A. Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Master of Science) - Online
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Certificate) - Online
- Sports Counseling (Certificate) - Online
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- eLearners.com Helps You Find the Right College within Minutes.
- Get Matched to the Perfect Psychology Degree Programs From Top Colleges Here.
- Learn at Your Own Pace and Get Qualified to Pursue a Career You Will Love.
- Answer a Few Questions and You Are One Step Closer to Enroll in a Top College!
Cortiva Institute School of Massage Therapy's innovative program will help you learn the art of massage therapy and introduce you to a range of career opportunities. Through a holistic approach to education, you'll be well-trained to work in clinics, hospitals, health clubs, spas, with sport teams, or to start a private practice.
Classes start November 13!
What to Expect in OTA School
Typically the course work is about 24 months, with the first year consisting of mostly class-room training and with the second year spent doing hands on lessons in a medical facility or private care office. Some of the course work a student will be required to take involves pediatrics, gerontology, clinical terminology, and physical rehabilitation. All States that require licensure only require a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree is going to be required if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, however you will find that most Occupational Therapist launched their careers as Assistants and obtained their Bachelor’s Degrees a couple of years later.
Licensing Information and Facts
Following graduation, those ready to get started with their careers will need to become certified as an occupational therapist assistant. Each State has its own policies and regulations which are governed by an occupational therapy board, with some being private and some run by the State exclusively. In Wisconsin, licensing is administrated by the Bureau of Health Professions Department of Regulation and Licensing. Though each State is different, there are a number of requirements which are common among the majority of them and include the following.
An individual trying to get an occupational therapy assistant license will have to be a U.S. citizen, will need to have a social security number and is required to have taken and passed acceptable college course work in addition to having taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Each State requires a federal background check , although convictions are not necessarily immediate grounds for dismissal. Certain States may consider approving an occupational therapist license in a case where a written affidavit is submitted to explain the circumstances of the conviction. Additional factors including time period and nature of the offense may be evaluated and be taken into consideration to grant licensure .
Each State will provide an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensing kit which will include a number of forms to complete. You should not spend money on these forms from a third party since they can be accessed online from many trusted websites. It is recommended to take a very comprehensive look through the paper work before attempting to complete them. You might have official transcripts required; notarized signatures and several States will ask you to turn in a fingerprint card which may be completed at a local police station.
Workplace for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA works with a variety of patients which have needs which may be very different the previous patient. You could be employed in an outpatient facility with infants who may have food or texture aversions or maybe a hospital rehab center working with a middle age man with psychological and mental struggles . Although an occupational therapy assistant possesses many job skills, a few of the basics such as following direction, keeping up to date with the most current techniques and implementing and applying the available technology are the most important. Finally, a COTA should be relatively physically fit, as you will have several instances of moving patients around, for example from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes to visit the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near Waupun, WI that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant training. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Waupun, WI reviewed by Makayla ARNOLD on June 8.
Very Helpful Site
Thank You for sharing such an informative website. I was able to get more info about the various schools in my area and found one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my training and can’t wait to become an OTA.