Once you begin your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Waycross, GA, you can expect to quickly see that there has never been a better time to go after a career as an OTA. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics expects jobs within this field to expand by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this equals over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The better news is that the average Occupational Therapy Assistant income is over $53,000 annually making it amongst the best paying health care jobs that does not require a Bachelor’s Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Waycross, GA
The initial step towards a career as an OTA is finding the best Occupational Therapy Program. There are presently approximately two hundred accredited occupational therapy schools in the United States and Puerto Rico and most of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you decide to jump in and select a training program, be sure that you analyze all of the options to make sure you find an Occupational Therapy school that meets all your requirements.
Things You Should Consider When Choosing an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is essential because you will be confident you will learn about the full range of techniques needed to be a competent OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants assist patients on an array of conditions and disorders making it essential that your schooling is very diversified rather then too focused on one particular discipline.
Another important feature you should look at is the clinical teaching experience. This is the practical training, it is where you actually interact with actual patients and put your knowledge to use. Some schools apply significantly more time on your actual laboratory experience when compared to the other training programs. In cases where your training program is not devoting a considerable amount of time with clinical teaching, make sure that you ask why.
Another thing to consider is the class sizes. The size of your class may vary considerably from college to college. Make sure to find out the class sizes at the schools you are looking at. Bear in mind, the smaller the class size , the more one-on-one teaching you will get with your trainers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online may not work for every student. Yet, for many of us online training can relieve some of the burdens of being a full time student. Jobs and household are frequently driven aside as students pursue their training and online classes can provide a little flexibility to a busy life.
The last item that you have to have a look at before choosing an Occupational Therapy School is the graduation rate of the colleges you are evaluating. Make certain you find out how many people graduate from the program, what their comments were, and just how many of them have gone to become Occupational Therapy Assistants.
Recommended Occupational Therapy Schools in Waycross, GA
Since 1977, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career-focused education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.
- Associate of Science in Occupational Therapy Assistant
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 95% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Christian Counseling
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Childhood and Adolescence Disorders
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Trauma
- And more...
- Bachelor of Arts in Substance Abuse Counseling
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Master of Science) - Online
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Certificate) - Online
- Sports Counseling (Certificate) - Online
What to Expect in OTA School
Normally the course work is approximately two years, with the first year being mainly class-room instruction and with the second year spent doing hands on training in a hospital facility or private medical practice. Some of the course work a student will be required to take includes pediatrics, gerontology, medical terms, and physical rehab. All States that require licensure only call for a two year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree shall be required if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but the truth is you will find that most Occupational Therapist launched their careers as Assistants and obtained their Bachelor’s Degrees a couple of years later.
Following graduation, those prepared to get started on their careers will need to become licensed as an occupational therapist assistant. Each State has its own rules and regulations that are governed by an occupational therapy board, with a few being private and some run by the State exclusively. In Georgia, licensing is administered by the Georgia State Board of Occupational Therapy. Though each State is different, there are a number of requirements which are common among many of them and can include the following.
Someone attempting to get an occupational therapy assistant certificate must be a U.S. citizen, needs to have a social security number and must have taken and completed applicable college course work and also taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Each State requires a federal background check , but convictions are not necessarily immediate grounds for dismissal. Several States may consider processing an occupational therapist license in a case where a written affidavit is submitted to explain the circumstances of the conviction. Additional factors including time and nature of the transgression may be reviewed and be considered to approve licensure .
Each State will have an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensing package which will include several forms to fill out. Do not buy these forms from a third party since they can be found online from many reputable websites. It is advised to take a very comprehensive look through the paper work before attempting to complete them. You might have official transcripts needed; notarized signatures and several States will require you to turn in a fingerprint card which may be completed at a local police station.
Work Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA will work with a range of patients who have needs which may be very different the previous patient. You might be employed in an outpatient facility with small children who have food or texture aversions or a hospital rehab center working with a middle age patient with psychological struggles . Although an occupational therapy assistant possesses many job skills, a few of the basics including following direction, keeping up to date with the most up-to-date techniques and implementing and applying the available technologies are the most important. Finally, a COTA must also be relatively physically fit, since you will have plenty of instances of shifting patients around, including from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this sounds like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes and visit the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of training programs near Waycross, GA that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant training. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Waycross, GA reviewed by Bella KNIGHT on June 14.
Thank You for sharing such an informative website. I was able to get more info about the various schools in my area and found one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my classes and can’t wait to work as an Occupational Therapy Assistant.