Once you start your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in West Paterson, NJ, you should soon find that there has never been a better time for you to go after a career as an Occupational Therapy Assistant. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts jobs in this industry to grow by 43% over the 10 year period 2010-2020, this equals over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is that the average Occupational Therapy Assistant income is greater than $53,000 yearly which makes it among the highest paying health care vocations that does not require a Four Year Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in West Paterson, NJ
The first step towards a career as an OTA is finding the right Occupational Therapy Program. There are presently almost two hundred accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and most of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you decide to dive in to choose a training program, you might want to analyze all of your alternatives and make sure you locate an Occupational Therapy school that fulfills all your needs.
Items You Must Consider When Deciding On an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is important because you will be confident that you are going to learn about the full range of skills needed to be a knowledgeable OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants assist patients on a wide variety of ailments and disorders making it crucial that your training is very wide-ranging and not too focused on a particular discipline.
Another really important feature you should think about is the clinical education experience. This is the hands-on training, and this is when you are going to interact with real patients and put your knowledge to use. Some schools dedicate substantially more time on your actual clinical experience in comparison to other schools. In cases where your school is not devoting large amounts of time with clinical teaching, make sure that you ask why.
Something else to also consider is the class size. The size of your class will vary greatly from school to school. Make an effort to find out the class sizes at the schools you are considering. Keep in mind, the smaller the classes , the more one-on-one time that you receive with the professors.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online may not work for each individual student. Nevertheless, for some people online training courses can alleviate some of the burdens of being a full time student. Work and household will often be pushed aside while students pursue their schooling and online classes can provide a little flexibility to a busy life.
The last issue that you should have a look at prior to selecting an Occupational Therapy School is the graduation rate of the schools you are considering. Make sure you find out how many people graduate from the program, what their observations were, and how many of them have gone on to become OTA’s.
Suggested Occupational Therapy Schools in West Paterson, NJ
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Ranked among the Best Online Bachelor’s Programs by U.S. News and World Report in 2015.
- Ranked among the Best Online MBA Programs by U.S. News and World Report in 2015.
- Founded in 1890, it has a campus in Waterbury, CT and offers online degree program in eight-week modules, six times a year.
- About 800 students are enrolled at the main campus, and about half of them commute.
- Online courses make it possible for students to earn a bachelor’s degree in as little as 18 months and a master’s degree in 14-24 months.
- B.S. in Human Services / Counseling
- Graduate Certificate in Alcohol & Drug Counseling
- Graduate Certificate in Professional Counseling
- And more...
- Why Earn Your Degree from GCU?
- Options: Choose from a variety of undergraduate and graduate degree programs in Business, Nursing, Psychology, Education & more!
- Convenience: Complete courses online, on campus, or a combination of both!
- Earlier Graduation: Our 4-credit courses allow you to complete your degree program in less time.
- Transfer Friendly: We will request your transcripts, evaluate your graduate coursework, and determine your anticipated graduation date within 24 hours.
- Quality: Grand Canyon University was founded in 1949 and is regionally accredited. Learn more today!
- M.S. in Professional Counseling with an Emphasis in Childhood and Adolescence Disorders
- M.S. in Christian Counseling
- M.S. in Professional Counseling with an Emphasis in Marriage and Family Therapy
- And more...
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
- Bachelor of Arts in Substance Abuse Counseling
- View Associates, Bachelors or Graduate Degree Programs in Psychology Near YOU!
- Enter YOUR Needs and Requirements. Get Matched to the Perfect Campus or Online Degree Programs for You.
- Free information for Psychology, Counseling Psychology Degree Programs and MORE.
- Accredited, Flexible Psychology Degree Programs to Fit Your Time and Budget. Use our Matching Service - It's Easy and FREE!
What to Expect in OTA School
Typically the course work is roughly 2 years, with the first year consisting of mainly classroom training and with the second year spent working on hands on learning in a hospital or private medical practice. Some of the course work a student will need to take involves pediatrics, gerontology, medical jargon, and physical rehab. All States that require licensure simply want a two year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree is going to be necessary if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but the truth is you will find that the majority of Occupational Therapist began their careers as Assistants and obtained their Bachelor’s Degrees a few years later.
Licensing Information and Facts
Following graduation, those wanting to begin their careers need to become licensed as an occupational therapist assistant. Every State has its own rules and specifications that will be governed by an occupational therapy board, with many being private and several run by the State exclusively. In New Jersey, licensing is handled by the New Jersey Occupational Therapy Advisory Council. While every State is unique, there are a number of requirements which are common among most of them and can include the following.
An individual applying for an occupational therapy assistant certificate has to be a U.S. citizen, needs to have a social security number and must have taken and completed appropriate college course work in addition to having taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Every State requires a federal background check , although convictions are not necessarily automatic grounds for dismissal. Some States may consider approving an occupational therapist license in a case where a written affidavit is turned in to describe the circumstances of the conviction. Other factors including time and nature of the offense may be evaluated and be considered to approve licensure .
Each State will have an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensure package that is going to contain several forms to complete. You should not buy these forms from a third party because they can be found online from many reputable sites. It is important to take a very detailed look through the paper work before attempting to complete them. There may be official transcripts required; notarized signatures and several States will require you to turn in a fingerprint card which may be completed at a local police station.
Work Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA works with many different patients who have needs that will be very different in comparison to the previous patient. You could be working in an outpatient clinic with children that happen to have food or texture aversions or perhaps a hospital rehab center working with a middle age patient with psychological and mental struggles . Even though an occupational therapy assistant possesses numerous job skills, a couple of the basics like following direction, keeping up to date with the most updated techniques and learning and employing the available technology are extremely important. Finally, a COTA should be somewhat physically fit, because there will be many instances of moving patients around, including from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like the career for you, then take a few minutes and visit the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of training programs near West Paterson, NJ that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant classes. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in West Paterson, NJ reviewed by Katherine STEPHENS on June 4.
Very Helpful Site
Thank You for creating such an informative website. I was able to get a lot of info about the various schools in my area and chose one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my training and can’t wait to become an OTA.