When you commence your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in West Plains, MO, you will probably quickly see that there has never been a better time to pursue a career as an OTA. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts jobs in this particular field to grow by 43% over the 10 year period 2010-2020, this means over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The better news is that the average Occupational Therapy Assistant pay is over $53,000 per year which makes it right there with the best paying health care occupations that does not require a Four Year Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in West Plains, MO
The first step towards a career as an OTA is finding the best Occupational Therapy Training Program. There are currently just about two hundred accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and nearly all the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you jump in and decide on a training program, you might want to examine all of the options to make certain you find an Occupational Therapy training program that matches all your needs.
Items You Should Consider When Deciding On an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is essential because you can be confident you will learn about the full array of competencies necessary to be an effective OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on a wide array of health concerns and disorders making it important that your schooling is very diverse instead of too concentrated on one particular area of specialization.
Another important factor to take under consideration is the clinical learning experience. This is the hands-on training, it is where you are able to interact with real patients and put your abilities to use. Some schools commit considerably more time on your actual clinical experience in comparison with others. In cases where your school is not spending a considerable amount of time with clinical teaching, be sure that you find out why.
Another thing to think about is the class sizes. The size of the classes may vary significantly from school to school. Make sure to find out the class sizes at all of schools you are looking at. Try to remember, the smaller the classes , the more one-on-one teaching that you receive with your professors.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online might not work for each individual student. However, for some people online classes can alleviate some of the burdens of being a full time student. Job and family members are often times pushed aside as students continue their education and learning and online classes can offer a little flexibility to a busy life.
The final factor you might want to evaluate before choosing an Occupational Therapy School is the graduation rate of the colleges you are looking at. Make sure you find out how many students complete the program, what their assessments were, and exactly how many of them have gone to become Occupational Therapy Assistants.
Featured Occupational Therapy Schools in West Plains, MO
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 95% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Does the Human Mind Fascinate You? Study Psychology! Choose Your Degree:
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology
- Master of Science in Psychology with an Emphasis in General Psychology
- Master of Science in Psychology with an Emphasis in Industrial and Organizational Psychology
- Convenient online program options available for the master's and bachelor's degree.
- Speak to an enrollment counselor today and find the degree that is right for you!
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Christian Counseling
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- Bachelor of Arts in Substance Abuse Counseling
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Master of Science) - Online
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Certificate) - Online
- Sports Counseling (Certificate) - Online
What to Expect in OTA School
Typically the course work is about two years, with the first year being primarily class-room training and with the second year spent working on hands on training in a healthcare facility or private care practice. Some of the course work a student will have to take includes pediatrics, gerontology, clinical terminology, and physical rehab. All States that require licensure just want a two year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree is needed if you intend on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but you will find that a majority of Occupational Therapist started their careers as Assistants and received their Bachelor’s Degrees several years later.
Following graduation, those ready to start their careers need to become licensed as an occupational therapist assistant. Every State has its own rules and specifications that will be governed by an occupational therapy board, with a few being private while others are run by the State exclusively. In Missouri, licensing is controlled by the Missouri State Board of Occupational Therapy. While each State is different, there are a number of requirements which happen to be common among many of them and can include the following.
A person seeking an occupational therapy assistant license must be a U.S. citizen, must have a social security number and needs to have taken and passed applicable college course work and also taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Each State requires a federal background check , however convictions are not necessarily immediate grounds for dismissal. A handful of States may consider processing an occupational therapy license in a case where a written affidavit is turned in to clarify the circumstances of the conviction. Other factors including time period and nature of the offense may be reviewed and be taken into consideration to grant licensure .
Every State will have an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensing kit that is going to include many forms to submit. You should not buy these forms from a third party because they can be accessed online from many legitimate web sites. It is important to take a very thorough look through the forms before attempting to complete them. It will have official transcripts wanted; notarized signatures and several States will need you to include a fingerprint card that can be completed at a local police station.
Workplace for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA works with many different patients who may have needs that could be completely different compared to the previous patient. You could be employed in an outpatient clinic with toddlers that have food or texture aversions or perhaps a hospital rehab center working with a middle age man with psychological struggles . Though an occupational therapy assistant has a large number of job skills, some of the basics like following direction, keeping up to date with the most up to date techniques and learning and employing the available technologies are the most important. Finally, a COTA should also be somewhat physically fit, as you will have numerous instances of transferring patients around, including from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this sounds like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes and fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near West Plains, MO that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant training. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in West Plains, MO reviewed by Aaliyah KENNEDY on June 16.
Terrific Source of Info
Thank You for creating such an informative website. I was able to get more info about the various schools in my area and chose one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my classes and can’t wait to become an Occupational Therapist.