Once you start your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in West University Place, TX, you can expect to quickly realize that there has never been a better time to undertake a career as an Occupational Therapy Assistant. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics expects jobs within this industry to grow by 43% over the 10 year period 2010-2020, this equates to over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The better news is that the average Occupational Therapy Assistant earnings is greater than $53,000 annually making it one of the best paying health care careers that does not call for a Four Year Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in West University Place, TX
The initial step towards a career as an OTA is finding the best Occupational Therapy Training Program. There are presently nearly 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the United States and Puerto Rico and most of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you jump in and choose a training program, make sure that you examine all of the options and make sure you locate an Occupational Therapy training program that meets all your requirements.
Details You Should Consider When Choosing an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is essential because you can be certain you will learn about the full array of competencies necessary to be a qualified OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants assist patients on an array of health problems and disorders so it is crucial that your course work is very wide-ranging rather then too focused on one particular area of specialization.
Another significant feature you should look at is the clinical teaching experience. This is your hands-on training, and this is when you are able to interact with actual patients and put your skills to use. Some schools commit significantly more time on your actual practical training when compared to the other schools. In situations where your school is not spending large amounts of time with clinical instructing, be sure that you find out why.
Something else to look into is the class sizes. The size of the classes may vary considerably from college to college. Make sure to find out the class sizes at all the schools you are considering. Bear in mind, the smaller the classes , the more one-on-one time that you receive with your instructors.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online do not work for each individual student. Yet, for some people online classes can ease a few of the burdens of being a full time student. Job and family members will often be driven aside as students carry on their education and learning and online classes provide a little flexibility to a busy life.
The last issue that you have to take a look at before choosing an Occupational Therapy School is the graduation rate of the colleges you are evaluating. Make certain you find out how many students finish the program, what their comments were, and exactly how many of them have gone on to careers as OTA’s.
Featured Occupational Therapy Schools in West University Place, TX
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology program helps students prepare for careers in counseling, marketing/sales, human services, ministry, and more.
- The School of Psychology & Counseling received a 95% match rate for 4th year Psy.D. student internships in 2015.
- Programmatic accreditation for psychology programs is provided by the American Psychological Association (APA).
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- M.A. in Human Services - Addictions Counseling
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 95% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Pursue a Rewarding Career in a Field That Helps Individuals Better Their Lives With a Psychology Degree Online From Grand Canyon University
- Degree Emphases: General Psychology, Performance & Sport Psychology, Forensic Psychology, Geropsychology, Life Coaching and more.
- Discover how each person’s cognitive thinking is formed & influenced through class discussions and a capstone project.
- Prepare for a variety of career opportunities while studying human behavior and thought through GCU's psychology programs.
- Whether you are a full-time student or working professional, Grand Canyon University offers the flexibility you need to earn a psychology degree.
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Family Dynamics
- And more...
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Health Psychology - MA in Psychology
- Health Psychology - C.A.G.S. in Psychology
- And more...
What to Expect in OTA School
Generally the course work is approximately 2 years, with the first year being mostly classroom instruction and with the second year spent working on hands on training in a medical center or private care practice. Some of the course work a student will have to take involves pediatrics, gerontology, clinical terminology, and physical rehabilitation. All States that require licensure just want a two year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree is necessary if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but you will find that most Occupational Therapist began their careers as Assistants and obtained their Bachelor’s Degrees a few years later.
Licensing Information and Facts
Following graduation, those wanting to start their careers have to become certified as an occupational therapist assistant. Every State has its own policies and specifications which are governed by an occupational therapy board, with many being private and some run by the State exclusively. In Texas, licensing is administrated by the Texas Executive Council of PT & OT Examiners. Even though each State is different, there are a number of requirements which are common among many of them and can include the following.
Any person seeking an occupational therapy assistant license is required to be a U.S. citizen, must have a social security number and needs to have taken and completed acceptable college course work in addition to having taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Each State requires a federal background check , however convictions are not necessarily automatic grounds for dismissal. A few States may consider approving an occupational therapy license if a written affidavit is submitted to clarify the circumstances of the conviction. Additional factors including time and nature of the offense may be assessed and be taken into consideration to approve licensure .
Every State will have an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensing kit that will include numerous forms to submit. Do not spend money on these forms from a third party because they can be found online from many legitimate websites. It is recommended to take a very detailed look through the paper work before trying to complete them. There may be official transcripts needed; notarized signatures and many States will want you to complete a fingerprint card which can be completed at a local police station.
Workplace for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA will work with an assortment of patients that have needs which may be totally different than from the previous patient. You could be working for an outpatient clinic with kids who may have food or texture aversions or perhaps a hospital rehab facility working with a middle age woman with psychological struggles . Even though an occupational therapy assistant has a variety of job skills, some of the basics like following direction, keeping up to date with the most updated techniques and implementing and using the available technologies are the most important. Finally, a COTA should also be relatively physically fit, as you will encounter plenty of instances of transferring patients around, including from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like the career for you, then take a few minutes and fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near West University Place, TX that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant classes. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in West University Place, TX reviewed by Gabriella WARREN on June 5.
Very Helpful Site
Thank You for creating such an informative website. I was able to get a lot of info about the various schools in my area and chose one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my training and can’t wait to work as an OTA.