When you start your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Weston, FL, you should soon see that there has never been a better time for you to undertake a career as an OTA. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts jobs in this particular industry to expand by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this equals over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is the fact that the median Occupational Therapy Assistant pay is over $53,000 yearly making it amongst the highest paying healthcare professions that does not call for a Bachelor’s Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Weston, FL
The first step towards a career as an OTA is selecting the best Occupational Therapy Training Program. There are presently approximately 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and almost all of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you dive in and choose a training program, make sure that you examine all of your alternatives and make certain you find an Occupational Therapy school that fits all your preferences.
Things You Should Consider When Selecting an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is recommended because you will be reassured that you will be taught the full array of skills necessary to be an effective OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants assist patients on a wide array of conditions and disorders making it really important that your schooling is very wide-ranging instead of too concentrated on one particular discipline.
Another really important component you should look at is the clinical education experience. This is your practical training, it is where you are going to interact with actual patients and put your skills to use. Some schools commit substantially more time on your actual clinical training in comparison to other schools. In situations where your school is not devoting a considerable amount of time with clinical training, be sure that you find out why.
Another thing to consider is the class size. The size of your class may vary significantly from college to college. Make sure that you find out the class sizes at the schools you are researching. Keep in mind, the smaller the classes , the more one-on-one time that you receive with the teachers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online may not work for every student. However, for some people online training courses can alleviate some of the burdens of being a full time student. Job and household are often times driven aside as students continue their schooling and online classes can provide a little flexibility to a busy life.
The final item you should take a look at before choosing an Occupational Therapy School is the graduation rate of the colleges you are considering. Make sure you find out how many trainees graduate from the program, what their comments were, and just how many of them have gone on to become Occupational Therapy Assistants.
Suggested Occupational Therapy Schools in Weston, FL
Since 1977, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career-focused education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.
- Associate of Science in Occupational Therapy Assistant
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Family Dynamics
- And more...
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
What to Expect in OTA School
Typically the course work is approximately two years, with the first year being mostly class-room instruction and with the second year spent going through hands on lessons in a medical center or private medical practice. Some of the course work a student will need to take involves pediatrics, gerontology, healthcare terminology, and physical therapy. All States that require licensure just call for a two year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree will be required if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but you will find that the majority of Occupational Therapist launched their careers as Assistants and achieved their Bachelor’s Degrees several years later.
Licensing Information and Facts
Following graduation, those prepared to begin their careers need to become certified as an OTA. Each State has its own rules and regulations which are governed by an occupational therapy board, with some being private and several run by the State exclusively. In Florida, licensing is administered by the Florida Board of Occupational Therapy Practice. Although each State is different, there are a number of requirements which are common among most of them and include the following.
Someone applying for an occupational therapy assistant license will have to be a U.S. citizen, needs to have a social security number and needs to have taken and passed appropriate college course work in addition to having taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Each State requires a federal background check , although convictions are not always immediate grounds for dismissal. A number of States may consider approving an occupational therapist license if a written affidavit is submitted to describe the circumstances of the conviction. Other factors including time period and nature of the transgression may be assessed and be considered to approve licensure .
Every State will provide an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensing kit that will include quite a few forms to complete. You should not pay for these forms from a third party as they can be accessed online from many trusted internet sites. It is important to take a very thorough look through the forms before attempting to complete them. You might have official transcripts wanted; notarized signatures and several States will need you to turn in a fingerprint card that can be completed at a local police station.
Job Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA works with a variety of patients which have needs which are often very different the previous patient. You might be working for an outpatient facility with kids that happen to have food or texture aversions or perhaps a hospital rehabilitation center working with a middle age patient with psychological struggles . Although an occupational therapy assistant possesses a large number of job skills, some of the basics including following direction, keeping up to date with the most up-to-date techniques and learning and using the available technology are the most important. Finally, a COTA should also be relatively physically fit, because there will be many instances of transferring patients around, for example from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes and visit the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near Weston, FL that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant classes. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Weston, FL reviewed by Bryson SNYDER on June 6.
Thank You for sharing such an informative website. I was able to get a lot of info about the various schools in my area and found one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my training and can’t wait to become an Occupational Therapist.