When you begin your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in White Settlement, TX, you should quickly learn that there has never been a better time for you to go after a career as an OTA. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics is expecting jobs within this industry to increase by 43% over the 10 year period 2010-2020, this is over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is that the median Occupational Therapy Assistant wage is over $53,000 annually which makes it one of the highest paying medical-related professions that does not call for a Bachelor’s Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in White Settlement, TX
The first step towards a career as an OTA is selecting the best Occupational Therapy Training Program. There are at this time just about 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and most of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you dive in to decide on a school, make sure that you consider all of the options and make sure you choose an Occupational Therapy training program that fits all your preferences.
Items You Must Consider When Deciding On an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is important because you can be reassured that you will be taught the full array of skills required to be a knowledgeable OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants assist patients on a wide array of conditions and disorders therefore it is really important that your course work is very diverse and not too focused on one particular discipline.
Another very important factor you should think about is the clinical education experience. This is the practical training, and this is where you will interact with actual patients and put your skills to use. Some schools commit considerably more time on your actual laboratory training compared to others. In instances where your training program is not devoting large amounts of time with clinical teaching, make sure that you find out why.
Something else to look into is the class sizes. The size of may vary significantly from college to college. Make an effort to find out the class sizes at all of schools you are looking at. Keep in mind, the smaller the classes , the more one-on-one instruction that you receive with your instructors.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online may not work for every student. Yet, for many people online training courses can ease several of the burdens of being a full time student. Jobs and family are oftentimes pushed aside as students pursue their schooling and online classes may offer a bit of flexibility to a busy life.
The final factor you need to take a look at prior to selecting an Occupational Therapy School is the rate of the schools you are evaluating. Make certain you find out how many students finish the program, what their opinions were, and exactly how many of them have gone to careers as OTA’s.
Featured Occupational Therapy Schools in White Settlement, TX
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 95% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Does psychology interest you? See if Grand Canyon University could be a good fit for your journey in discovering the human mind!
- GCU offers a Bachelor of Science in Psychology and a Master of Science in Psychology with an emphasis in either General Psychology or Industrial & Organizational Psychology.
- The College of Humanities and Social Sciences at GCU provides a job focused education, blending the study of traditional humanities in a modern context.
- GCU offers a variety of learning options, including: traditional degree programs offered at our main campus, online degrees, or evening classes meeting once a week at various locations.
- Founded in 1949, GCU is a regionally accredited, private Christian university and is recognized as offering some of the best online education programs in the nation.
- Request information and learn more about our program offerings, start dates, financial aid and more!
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Family Dynamics
- And more...
- Bachelor of Arts in Substance Abuse Counseling
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Master of Science) - Online
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Certificate) - Online
- Sports Counseling (Certificate) - Online
What to Expect in OTA School
Normally the course work is roughly two years, with the first year being primarily classroom training and with the second year spent working on hands on lessons in a medical center or private medical office. Some of the course work a student will have to take involves pediatrics, gerontology, medical jargon, and physical rehab. All States that require licensure just call for a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree shall be needed if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, however you will find that almost all Occupational Therapist launched their careers as Assistants and received their Bachelor’s Degrees a few years later.
Licensing Information and Facts
Following graduation, those wanting to get started with their careers will have to become certified as an occupational therapist assistant. Each State has its own rules and specifications that are governed by an occupational therapy board, with a few being private while others are run by the State exclusively. In Texas, licensing is administrated by the Texas Executive Council of PT & OT Examiners. Even though each State is unique, there are a number of requirements which are common among the majority of them and can include the following.
Any individual seeking an occupational therapy assistant certificate must be a U.S. citizen, must have a social security number and is required to have taken and passed applicable college course work in addition to having taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Each State requires a federal background check , but convictions are not always automatic grounds for dismissal. Some States may consider processing an occupational therapist license if a written affidavit is submitted to clarify the circumstances of the conviction. Other factors including time frame and nature of the offense may be assessed and be taken into consideration to approve licensure .
Every State will have an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensing packet which will include a number of forms to fill out. You should not purchase these forms from a third party because they can be accessed online from many trusted internet sites. It is important to take a very in depth look through the forms before trying to complete them. There may be official transcripts necessary; notarized signatures and several States will want you to submit a fingerprint card which can be completed at a local police station.
Work Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA works with a range of patients which have needs which can be very different the previous patient. You might be working for an outpatient facility with kids that have food or texture aversions or a hospital rehab facility working with a middle age man with psychological and mental struggles . Although an occupational therapy assistant has a variety of job skills, some of the basics including following direction, keeping up to date with the most updated techniques and implementing and employing the available technology are the most important. Finally, a COTA should also be somewhat physically fit, since you will encounter numerous instances of transferring patients around, including from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this sounds like the career for you, then take a few minutes and visit the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near White Settlement, TX that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant training. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in White Settlement, TX reviewed by Victoria PORTER on June 7.
Very Helpful Site
Thank You for creating such an informative website. I was able to get a lot of info about the various schools in my area and found one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my training and can’t wait to become an Occupational Therapy Assistant.