As you commence your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Whitefish Bay, WI, you are going to soon discover that there has never been a better time for you to go after a career as an Occupational Therapy Assistant. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics expects jobs in this industry to increase by 43% over the 10 year period 2010-2020, this equals over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is that the median Occupational Therapy Assistant salary is over $53,000 annually which makes it among the highest paying healthcare careers that does not require a Bachelor’s Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Whitefish Bay, WI
The first step towards a career as an OTA is selecting the best Occupational Therapy School. There are currently just about 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the United States and Puerto Rico and almost all of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you decide to jump in and pick a school, make sure that you examine all of your options and make sure you find an Occupational Therapy school that suits all your preferences.
Items You Should Consider When Picking an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is essential because you can be confident you will learn about the full array of skills necessary to be a knowledgeable OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants assist patients on a wide variety of health concerns and disorders so it is very important that your schooling is very wide-ranging and not too concentrated on one particular discipline.
Another significant component to take under consideration is the clinical teaching experience. This is the hands-on training, and this is when you actually interact with actual patients and put your knowledge to use. Some schools dedicate substantially more time on your actual practical training when compared to the others. In situations where your training program is not spending a considerable amount of time with clinical training, make sure to ask why.
Another thing to think about is the class sizes. The size of your class may vary considerably from school to school. Make sure you find out the class sizes at the schools you are looking at. Keep in mind, the smaller the class size , the more one-on-one instruction that you receive with your instructors.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online do not work for each individual student. Nevertheless, for some online training courses can relieve a few of the burdens of being a full time student. Jobs and household can be driven aside while students pursue their schooling and online classes can offer a bit of flexibility to a busy life.
The final issue you want to evaluate before selecting an Occupational Therapy School is the graduation rate of the schools you are evaluating. Be sure to find out how many students finish the program, what their assessments were, and just how many of them have gone to careers as OTA’s.
Suggested Occupational Therapy Schools in Whitefish Bay, WI
- Occupational Therapy Aide
- Physical Therapy Aide
- Substance Abuse
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Prevention
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- And more...
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Designated a 2015 Military Friendly School by Victory Media for the 4th consecutive year.
- Listed on the President’s Higher Education Community Service Honor Roll in 2013, for the sixth consecutive year
- Links students to hundreds of training opportunities (beyond their traditional internships and practicum) at their many “partner agencies” in each of their local communities.
- Accredited by the WASC Senior College and University Commission (WUSCUC).
- M.A. Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
As a community of initiative, University of the Southwest challenges graduates to become enterprising members of our society contributing to the common good by advocating and participating in the productive commerce of free enterprise, the constitutional privilege of self-government, and the practical contributions of community service.
- MSE Mental Health
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- eLearners.com Helps You Find the Right College within Minutes.
- Get Matched to the Perfect Psychology Degree Programs From Top Colleges Here.
- Learn at Your Own Pace and Get Qualified to Pursue a Career You Will Love.
- Answer a Few Questions and You Are One Step Closer to Enroll in a Top College!
Cortiva Institute School of Massage Therapy's innovative program will help you learn the art of massage therapy and introduce you to a range of career opportunities. Through a holistic approach to education, you'll be well-trained to work in clinics, hospitals, health clubs, spas, with sport teams, or to start a private practice.
Classes start November 13!
What to Expect in OTA School
Normally the course work is about 2 years, with the first year being primarily classroom teaching and with the second year spent going through hands on training in a healthcare facility or private medical office. Some of the course work a student will likely need to take involves pediatrics, gerontology, health care terminology, and physical therapy. All States that require licensure simply want a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree shall be needed if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but you will find that a majority of Occupational Therapist started their careers as Assistants and obtained their Bachelor’s Degrees a couple of years later.
Licensing Information and Facts
Following graduation, those wanting to start their careers need to become licensed as an occupational therapist assistant. Each State has its own policies and specifications that will be governed by an occupational therapy board, with many being private and several run by the State exclusively. In Wisconsin, licensing is administrated by the Bureau of Health Professions Department of Regulation and Licensing. Although every State is unique, there are a number of requirements which happen to be common among many of them and include the following.
Any person trying to get an occupational therapy assistant certificate is required to be a U.S. citizen, must have a social security number and needs to have taken and completed applicable college course work in addition to having taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Each State requires a federal background check , but convictions are not always immediate grounds for dismissal. A few States may consider approving an occupational therapist license if a written affidavit is filed to clarify the circumstances of the conviction. Other factors including time and nature of the offense may be examined and be considered to grant licensure .
Every State will have an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensing package which will include a number of forms to complete. Never buy these forms from a third party as they can be found online from many trusted sites. It is important to take a very thorough look through the paper work before attempting to complete them. You might have official transcripts required; notarized signatures and several States will require you to turn in a fingerprint card which may be completed at a local police station.
Job Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA will work with a variety of patients that have needs which may be completely different in comparison to the previous patient. You could be working in an outpatient clinic with children who may have food or texture aversions or maybe a hospital rehab center working with a middle age woman with emotional struggles . Although an occupational therapy assistant has a variety of job skills, some of the basics including following direction, keeping up to date with the most up-to-date techniques and implementing and applying the available technology are extremely important. Finally, a COTA should be somewhat physically fit, because you will encounter many instances of moving patients around, including from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like the career for you, then take a few minutes and fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of training programs near Whitefish Bay, WI that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant training. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Whitefish Bay, WI reviewed by Hailey HENRY on June 3.
Thank You for sharing such an informative website. I was able to find great info about the various schools in my area and chose one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my training and can’t wait to work as an Occupational Therapist.