After you commence your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Whitewater, WI, you will probably soon learn that there has never been a better time for you to undertake a career as an Occupational Therapy Assistant. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics anticipates jobs in this particular field to grow by 43% over the 10 year period 2010-2020, this is over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The better news is that the median Occupational Therapy Assistant salary is over $53,000 yearly which makes it among the best paying medical-related jobs that does not require a University Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Whitewater, WI
The first step toward a career as an OTA is selecting the best Occupational Therapy Training Program. There are presently approximately two hundred accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and most of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you dive in to pick a school, make sure that you evaluate all of the options to make sure you choose an Occupational Therapy school that matches all your needs.
Things You Must Consider When Selecting an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is important because you can be confident that you are going to be taught the full array of techniques necessary to be an effective OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on a wide variety of health concerns and disorders therefore it is very important that your training is very diverse rather then too dedicated to one particular area of specialization.
Another significant feature you should think about is the clinical training experience. This is the hands-on training, it is when you will interact with actual patients and put your abilities to use. Some schools commit considerably more time on your actual laboratory experience when compared to the other schools. In instances where your school is not investing large amounts of time with clinical training, be sure that you ask why.
Something else to also consider is the class sizes. The size of your class will vary considerably from college to college. Make sure that you find out the class sizes at all the schools you are researching. Remember, the smaller the classes , the more one-on-one teaching you will get with the professors.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online might not work for every student. Nevertheless, for many people online courses can ease a few of the burdens of being a full time student. Jobs and household are often times pushed aside while students continue their training and online classes can provide a little flexibility to a busy schedule.
The last detail you might like to look at before choosing an Occupational Therapy School is the graduation rate of the schools you are considering. Make sure to find out how many people graduate from the program, what their reviews were, and exactly how many of them have gone to become Occupational Therapy Assistants.
Recommended Occupational Therapy Schools in Whitewater, WI
- There's still time to apply to Grand Canyon University and pursue your education. Learn more today!
- Study on your schedule - GCU offers many programs 100% online to fit your busy lifestyle.
- GCU offers a variety of opportunities to reduce the cost of furthering your education. Campus students may qualify for scholarships, while online students can take part in limited special offers.
- A regionally accredited university, GCU also holds specialized accreditations and approvals for some of our core program offerings.
- Degrees in business, education, nursing, humanities and social sciences, theology and more. Find the degree that fits you.
- Talk to us today to learn more about financial aid and start dates!
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Prevention
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- And more...
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Designated a 2015 Military Friendly School by Victory Media for the 4th consecutive year.
- Listed on the President’s Higher Education Community Service Honor Roll in 2013, for the sixth consecutive year
- Links students to hundreds of training opportunities (beyond their traditional internships and practicum) at their many “partner agencies” in each of their local communities.
- Accredited by the WASC Senior College and University Commission (WUSCUC).
- M.A. Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- eLearners.com Helps You Find the Right College within Minutes.
- Get Matched to the Perfect Psychology Degree Programs From Top Colleges Here.
- Learn at Your Own Pace and Get Qualified to Pursue a Career You Will Love.
- Answer a Few Questions and You Are One Step Closer to Enroll in a Top College!
Cortiva Institute School of Massage Therapy's innovative program will help you learn the art of massage therapy and introduce you to a range of career opportunities. Through a holistic approach to education, you'll be well-trained to work in clinics, hospitals, health clubs, spas, with sport teams, or to start a private practice.
Classes start November 13!
What to Expect in OTA School
Normally the course work is approximately 24 months, with the first year consisting of primarily class-room teaching and with the second year spent working on hands on lessons in a hospital facility or private medical office. Some of the course work a student will need to take involves pediatrics, gerontology, medical terms, and physical rehab. All States that require licensure only require a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree will be required if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but you will find that almost all Occupational Therapist began their careers as Assistants and obtained their Bachelor’s Degrees a few years later.
Following graduation, those wanting to start their careers will need to become certified as an occupational therapist assistant. Each State has its own guidelines and regulations that are governed by an occupational therapy board, with many being private while others are run by the State exclusively. In Wisconsin, licensing is controlled by the Bureau of Health Professions Department of Regulation and Licensing. Though each State is unique, there are a number of requirements which are common among most of them and can include the following.
Someone seeking an occupational therapy assistant certificate is required to be a U.S. citizen, must have a social security number and is required to have taken and completed appropriate college course work and also taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Every State requires a federal background check , although convictions are not necessarily immediate grounds for dismissal. A number of States may consider approving an occupational therapist license in a case where a written affidavit is turned in to describe the circumstances of the conviction. Additional factors including time frame and nature of the criminal offense may be assessed and be taken into consideration to grant licensure .
Each State will provide an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensing kit which will contain several forms to complete. Never purchase these forms from a third party since they can be found online from many legitimate web sites. It is recommended to take a very extensive look through the forms before attempting to complete them. There may be official transcripts necessary; notarized signatures and several States will ask you to include a fingerprint card which may be completed at a local police station.
Job Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA works with an assortment of patients that have needs that could be completely different in comparison to the previous patient. You may be employed in an outpatient clinic with small children who may have food or texture aversions or maybe a hospital rehab center working with a middle age man with psychological struggles . Although an occupational therapy assistant possesses numerous job skills, a couple of the basics including following direction, keeping up to date with the most current techniques and implementing and employing the available technologies are the most important. Finally, a COTA should be reasonably physically fit, as you will encounter many instances of shifting patients around, such as from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like the career for you, then take a few minutes and visit the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of training programs near Whitewater, WI that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant training. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Whitewater, WI reviewed by Anna MORALES on June 14.
Very Helpful Site
Thank You for creating such an informative website. I was able to get great info about the various schools in my area and chose one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my classes and can’t wait to become an Occupational Therapy Assistant.