When you commence your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Wilton Manors, FL, you should quickly find that there has never been a better time for you to go after a career as an Occupational Therapy Assistant. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics expects jobs within this industry to increase by 43% over the 10 year period 2010-2020, this equals over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The better news is the fact that the average Occupational Therapy Assistant wage is greater than $53,000 annually which makes it amongst the best paying healthcare careers that does not call for a Bachelor’s Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Wilton Manors, FL
The first step toward a career as an OTA is determining the right Occupational Therapy Training Program. There are at this time almost 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the United States and Puerto Rico and almost all of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you dive in to choose a training program, it is important to examine all of your options to make certain you locate an Occupational Therapy school that meets all your requirements.
Items You Should Consider When Deciding On an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is essential because you can be reassured you will learn about the full array of competencies necessary to be an effective OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants assist patients on a wide variety of health conditions and disorders so it is really important that your training is very wide-ranging instead of too concentrated on one particular discipline.
Another very important component to take under consideration is the clinical education experience. This is the hands-on training, it is when you actually interact with actual patients and put your skills to use. Some schools allocate considerably more time on your actual clinical training in comparison to other schools. In instances where your school is not devoting a considerable amount of time with clinical instructing, be sure that you ask why.
Something else to think about is the class size. The size of the classes will vary greatly from school to school. Make sure to find out the class sizes at all the schools you are researching. Bear in mind, the smaller the class size , the more one-on-one teaching you will get with the instructors.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online may not work for each individual student. Yet, for many of us online training courses can alleviate some of the burdens of being a full time student. Jobs and family members are often times driven aside as students carry on their training and online classes may offer a little flexibility to a busy schedule.
The last issue you should evaluate prior to selecting an Occupational Therapy School is the rate of the colleges you are evaluating. Make certain you find out how many trainees graduate from the program, what their assessments were, and just how many of them have gone on to careers as OTA’s.
Featured Occupational Therapy Schools in Wilton Manors, FL
Since 1977, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career-focused education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.
- Associate of Science in Occupational Therapy Assistant
- Master of Science in Occupational Therapy - Bridge Program
- Associate of Science in Physical Therapist Assistant
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 95% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Trauma
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Prevention
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Marriage and Family Therapy
- And more...
- Bachelor of Arts in Substance Abuse Counseling
- A.S. - A.H. - Mental Health Technology
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Master of Science) - Online
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Certificate) - Online
- Sports Counseling (Certificate) - Online
What to Expect in OTA School
Normally the course work is approximately 2 years, with the first year consisting of primarily class-room instruction and with the second year spent going through hands on lessons in a medical center or private care practice. Some of the course work a student will want to take includes pediatrics, gerontology, healthcare terminology, and physical rehab. All States that require licensure only call for a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree will be required if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but you will find that the majority of Occupational Therapist started their careers as Assistants and received their Bachelor’s Degrees a couple of years later.
Licensing Information and Facts
Following graduation, those ready to start their careers have to become certified as an occupational therapist assistant. Each State has its own policies and regulations that are governed by an occupational therapy board, with a few being private and several run by the State exclusively. In Florida, licensing is handled by the Florida Board of Occupational Therapy Practice. Even though every State is unique, there are a number of requirements which are common among many of them and include the following.
Any person attempting to get an occupational therapy assistant certificate is required to be a U.S. citizen, must have a social security number and is required to have taken and completed appropriate college course work in addition to having taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Every State requires a federal background check , although convictions are not always immediate grounds for dismissal. A few States may consider approving an occupational therapist license if a written affidavit is turned in to clarify the circumstances of the conviction. Additional circumstances including time period and nature of the transgression may be examined and be taken into consideration to approve licensure .
Each State will have an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensing packet that is going to contain numerous forms to complete. Do not pay for these forms from a third party as they can be accessed online from many trustworthy internet sites. It is advised to take a very detailed look through the paper work before attempting to complete them. It will have official transcripts necessary; notarized signatures and many States will need you to include a fingerprint card that can be completed at a local police station.
Job Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA works with an assortment of patients which have needs that may be completely different in comparison to the previous patient. You may be working for an outpatient facility with toddlers who have food or texture aversions or perhaps a hospital rehab facility working with a middle age patient with psychological and mental struggles . Even though an occupational therapy assistant possesses a variety of job skills, a couple of the basics such as following direction, keeping up to date with the most recent techniques and implementing and applying the available technology are the most important. Finally, a COTA must also be relatively physically fit, as you will encounter several instances of moving patients around, including from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like the career for you, then take a few minutes and fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near Wilton Manors, FL that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant training. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Wilton Manors, FL reviewed by Eva RILEY on June 14.
Terrific Source of Info
Thank You for creating such an informative website. I was able to find more info about the various schools in my area and found one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my training and can’t wait to become an Occupational Therapy Assistant.