As you begin your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Wylie, TX, you will soon discover that there has never been a better time for you to pursue a career as an OTA. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics is expecting jobs in this particular industry to expand by 43% over the 10 year period 2010-2020, this is over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is the fact that the median Occupational Therapy Assistant income is over $53,000 yearly making it amongst the highest paying medical-related professions that does not require a Four Year Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Wylie, TX
The first step toward a career as an OTA is selecting the right Occupational Therapy Training Program. There are currently approximately 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the United States and Puerto Rico and most of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you jump in to decide on a training program, make sure you consider all of your alternatives to make certain you choose an Occupational Therapy training program that meets all your preferences.
Items You Should Consider When Picking an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is essential because you will be reassured that you are going to learn about the full range of techniques required to be a knowledgeable OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on a wide array of health problems and disorders therefore it is crucial that your training is very wide-ranging rather then too focused on one particular discipline.
Another significant feature you should think about is the clinical learning experience. This is your hands-on training, it is when you will interact with actual patients and put your knowledge to use. Some schools designate considerably more time on your actual laboratory experience as compared to other schools. In situations where your training program is not investing a large amount of time with clinical instructing, make sure to ask why.
Something else to look into is the class sizes. The size of your class may vary greatly from college to college. Be sure to find out the class sizes at the schools you are researching. Remember, the smaller the classes , the more one-on-one teaching that you receive with your professors.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online may not work for each individual student. However, for many people online classes can alleviate a few of the burdens of being a full time student. Work and family tend to be driven aside as students undertake their education and learning and online classes provide a little flexibility to a busy schedule.
The last thing you want to look into prior to selecting an Occupational Therapy School is the graduation rate of the training programs you are considering. Be sure you find out how many students finish the program, what their observations were, and exactly how many of them have gone on to careers as OTA’s.
Suggested Occupational Therapy Schools in Wylie, TX
- Why Earn Your Degree from GCU?
- Options: Choose from a variety of undergraduate and graduate degree programs in Business, Nursing, Psychology, Education & more!
- Convenience: Complete courses online, on campus, or a combination of both!
- Earlier Graduation: Our 4-credit courses allow you to complete your degree program in less time.
- Transfer Friendly: We will request your transcripts, evaluate your graduate coursework, and determine your anticipated graduation date within 24 hours.
- Quality: Grand Canyon University was founded in 1949 and is regionally accredited. Learn more today!
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Prevention
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- And more...
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
The Chicago School is a not-for-profit, regionally accredited institution with more than 4285 students at campuses across the country and online. TCSPP has been an innovator in the field of psychology and related behavioral science for more than 30 years.
- M.A. Clinical Psychology, Marital and Family Therapy Specialization
- Psy.D. Clinical Psychology
- Psy.D. Applied Clinical Psychology
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
WELCOME TO KAPLAN UNIVERSITY
Online Education That Fits Your Life
For 80 years, we’ve been preparing students for career success. We’ve led the wayso that our students can too.
Globally Renowned Purdue to Acquire Kaplan University
Purdue University, one of the nation's most respected universities, will acquire Kaplan University and create a new, nonprofit, public institution within the Purdue system. Pending regulatory approvals, this exciting transition is expected to take place later this year. This change will be seamless—during the transition, you will still be able to enroll at Kaplan University, earn a high-quality education, and meet your educational and career goals.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Master of Science) - Online
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Certificate) - Online
- Sports Counseling (Certificate) - Online
- Education Connection is a 100% Free College Matching Service used by 50,000 People Daily.
- Get Matched to Psychology, Counseling, Human Services, Organizational, and Clinical Psychology Degree Programs and MORE.
- View Bachelor's, Master's, Doctorate and Graduate Certificate Degree Programs in Psychology and Human Services Near YOU!
- Accredited and Flexible Psychology Degree Programs to Fit Your Time and Budget. Use Our Matching Service - It's Easy and FREE!
What to Expect in OTA School
Generally the course work is approximately 2 years, with the first year consisting of predominantly class-room instruction and with the second year spent carrying out hands on lessons in a hospital facility or private medical practice. Some of the course work a student will need to take involves pediatrics, gerontology, healthcare terms, and physical therapy. All States that require licensure simply want a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree is required if you intend on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but you will find that a majority of Occupational Therapist launched their careers as Assistants and earned their Bachelor’s Degrees some time later.
Following graduation, those wanting to get started on their careers need to become licensed as an OTA. Each State has its own policies and specifications that will be governed by an occupational therapy board, with some being private while others are run by the State exclusively. In Texas, licensing is administrated by the Texas Executive Council of PT & OT Examiners. Although every State is unique, there are a number of requirements that are common among many of them and can include the following.
Someone seeking an occupational therapy assistant license must be a U.S. citizen, needs to have a social security number and needs to have taken and passed applicable college course work as well as taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Every State requires a federal background check , but convictions are not always immediate grounds for dismissal. A few States may consider processing an occupational therapy license as long as a written affidavit is submitted to explain the circumstances of the conviction. Additional circumstances including time frame and nature of the crime may be examined and be taken into consideration to approve licensure .
Each State will have an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensure kit that is going to include a number of forms to fill out. You should not spend money on these forms from a third party since they can be found online from many reputable web sites. It is advised to take a very comprehensive look through the forms before trying to complete them. It will have official transcripts needed; notarized signatures and many States will require you to submit a fingerprint card which may be completed at a local police station.
Work Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA works with many different patients who may have needs which can be very different than from the previous patient. You could be working in an outpatient clinic with infants who may have food or texture aversions or a hospital treatment facility working with a middle age man with emotional struggles . Even though an occupational therapy assistant has a large number of job skills, a few of the basics such as following direction, keeping up to date with the latest techniques and implementing and applying the available technology are the most important. Finally, a COTA must also be relatively physically fit, since there will be numerous instances of transferring patients around, including from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this sounds like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes and fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near Wylie, TX that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant classes. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Wylie, TX reviewed by Harper WEBB on June 2.
Thank You for creating such an informative website. I was able to get great info about the various schools in my area and chose one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my classes and can’t wait to work as an Occupational Therapy Assistant.