As you commence your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Yeadon, PA, you will soon realize that there has never been a better time to pursue a career as an Occupational Therapy Assistant. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics anticipates jobs in this particular field to expand by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this equates to over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is the fact that the average Occupational Therapy Assistant salary is greater than $53,000 annually making it among the highest paying health care vocations that does not call for a Bachelor’s Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Yeadon, PA
The first step toward a career as an OTA is selecting the right Occupational Therapy School. There are at the moment almost two hundred accredited occupational therapy schools in the United States and Puerto Rico and most of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you dive in and decide on a training program, you will need to analyze all of the options to make certain you choose an Occupational Therapy training program that fulfills all your needs.
Details You Should Consider When Picking an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is recommended because you can be confident you will learn about the full array of skills required to be a certified OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on numerous types of health problems and disorders making it imperative that your training is very wide-ranging and not too dedicated to a particular area of specialization.
Another very important component you should look at is the clinical learning experience. This is the practical training, it is when you are going to interact with real patients and put your skills to use. Some schools designate significantly more time on your actual practical training compared to others. In cases where your training program is not spending large amounts of time with clinical training, make sure to find out why.
Another thing to look into is the class sizes. The size of can vary significantly from college to college. Make sure that you find out the class sizes at all the schools you are researching. Bear in mind, the smaller the class size , the more one-on-one time that you receive with the teachers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online do not work for every student. Nevertheless, for many people online training courses can relieve some of the burdens of being a full time student. Job and loved ones will often be pushed aside while students pursue their training and online classes provide a bit of flexibility to a busy schedule.
The final item you need to have a look at prior to selecting an Occupational Therapy School is the rate of the colleges you are looking at. Make sure you find out how many students complete the program, what their reviews were, and exactly how many of them have gone on to become Occupational Therapists.
Recommended Occupational Therapy Schools in Yeadon, PA
- Want to explore human action and interaction? A psychology degree from GCU may be for you!
- Bachelor's and master's degrees offered conveniently online and on campus to fit your needs.
- Choose from a variety of program focuses at the bachelor's or master's level.
- Examine how personality and cognitive thinking is formed, developed and influenced.
- Science-based core curriculum that guides your knowledge of human behavior.
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Christian Counseling
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Childhood and Adolescence Disorders
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Trauma
- And more...
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology program helps students prepare for careers in counseling, marketing/sales, human services, ministry, and more.
- The School of Psychology & Counseling received a 95% match rate for 4th year Psy.D. student internships in 2015.
- Programmatic accreditation for psychology programs is provided by the American Psychological Association (APA).
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- M.A. in Human Services - Addictions Counseling
- Learn how you can make a difference in the Human Services field with a degree from Post
- 100% online Human Services BS degree
- Find concentrations in Counseling, Management, Psychology & more
- Ranked in the Best Online Bachelor’s Programs by the US News & World Report
- Post University earned the 2017 Military Spouse Friendly School® designation
- B.S. in Human Services / Counseling
- Graduate Certificate in Alcohol & Drug Counseling
- Graduate Certificate in Professional Counseling
- And more...
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Experience world-class education online: Purdue Global offers 180 programs at associate's, bachelor's, master's and doctoral levels
- Courses taught by highly respected faculty members who are experts in their fields
- Competency-based ExcelTrack™ Programs may allow you to earn your degree faster and for less money
- Full range of student services: individual educational advising, hands-on learning through interactive online classroom, no-cost tutoring in math, science and writing
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
What to Expect in OTA School
Typically the course work is roughly 24 months, with the first year being mostly classroom teaching and with the second year spent working on hands on training in a medical facility or private care office. Some of the course work a student will be required to take involves pediatrics, gerontology, healthcare terms, and physical therapy. All States that require licensure only call for a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree will be necessary if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but you will find that the majority of Occupational Therapist began their careers as Assistants and received their Bachelor’s Degrees some time later.
Following graduation, those wanting to begin their careers will have to become licensed as an occupational therapist assistant. Each State has its own policies and specifications which are governed by an occupational therapy board, with many being private and several run by the State exclusively. In Pennsylvania, licensing is handled by the Pennsylvania State Board of Occupational Therapy Education and Licensure. Though every State is different, there are a number of requirements which are common among most of them and can include the following.
Any individual attempting to get an occupational therapy assistant certificate has to be a U.S. citizen, needs to have a social security number and must have taken and passed applicable college course work in addition to having taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Every State requires a federal background check , although convictions are not necessarily automatic grounds for dismissal. A few States may consider approving an occupational therapist license as long as a written affidavit is turned in to clarify the circumstances of the conviction. Additional circumstances including time frame and nature of the transgression may be evaluated and be considered to approve licensure .
Every State will have an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensing packet that will include several forms to submit. Never spend money on these forms from a third party since they can be found online from many reputable web sites. It is important to take a very detailed look through the forms before attempting to complete them. There will be official transcripts wanted; notarized signatures and many States will ask you to complete a fingerprint card that can be completed at a local police station.
Job Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA works with a range of patients who have needs which can be completely different the previous patient. You could be working in an outpatient facility with toddlers who may have food or texture aversions or a hospital treatment facility working with a middle age man with psychological and mental struggles . Though an occupational therapy assistant has a large number of job skills, a few of the basics including following direction, keeping up to date with the freshest techniques and learning and using the available technology are extremely important. Finally, a COTA should be relatively physically fit, because you will encounter several instances of moving patients around, for example from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this sounds like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes to fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of training programs near Yeadon, PA that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant classes. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Yeadon, PA reviewed by Xavier HENDERSON on June 4.
Very Helpful Site
Thank You for creating such an informative website. I was able to get great info about the OTA schools in my area and chose one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my training and can’t wait to become an Occupational Therapy Assistant.