After you begin your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in York, ME, you can expect to quickly learn that there has never been a better time to pursue a career as an OTA. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics is expecting jobs within this industry to expand by 43% over the 10 year period 2010-2020, this equals over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is the fact that the average Occupational Therapy Assistant wage is over $53,000 per year which makes it right there with the highest paying medical careers that does not require a Bachelor’s Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in York, ME
The initial step towards a career as an OTA is finding the best Occupational Therapy Training Program. There are presently approximately 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and most of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you jump in to choose a training program, it is very important to evaluate all of your alternatives and make sure you find an Occupational Therapy school that satisfies all your preferences.
Things You Should Consider When Selecting an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is essential because you will be certain you will be taught the full variety of skills required to be a certified OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on a wide variety of issues and disorders so it is very important that your training is very diverse and not too focused on one particular area of specialization.
Another significant variable you should think about is the clinical teaching experience. This is the hands-on training, it is when you actually interact with real patients and put your skills to use. Some schools allocate substantially more time on your actual laboratory training as compared to others. In cases where your school is not devoting large amounts of time with clinical instructing, make sure to ask why.
Another thing to think about is the class size. The size of your class can vary considerably from college to college. Make sure to find out the class sizes at all the schools you are researching. Try to remember, the smaller the classes , the more one-on-one instruction that you receive with the professors.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online might not work for each individual student. Nevertheless, for some people online training can relieve some of the burdens of being a full time student. Work and family can be pushed aside while students pursue their training and online classes may offer a bit of flexibility to a busy schedule.
The last detail you might want to check out before selecting an Occupational Therapy School is the success rate of the training programs you are evaluating. Be sure to find out how many trainees graduate from the program, what their evaluations were, and just how many of them have gone on to become Occupational Therapy Assistants.
Featured Occupational Therapy Schools in York, ME
- Pursue a Rewarding Career in a Field That Helps Individuals Better Their Lives With a Psychology Degree Online From Grand Canyon University
- Degree Emphases: General Psychology, Performance & Sport Psychology, Forensic Psychology, Geropsychology, Life Coaching and more.
- Discover how each person’s cognitive thinking is formed & influenced through class discussions and a capstone project.
- Prepare for a variety of career opportunities while studying human behavior and thought through GCU's psychology programs.
- Whether you are a full-time student or working professional, Grand Canyon University offers the flexibility you need to earn a psychology degree.
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Family Dynamics
- And more...
- Learn how you can make a difference in the Human Services field with a degree from Post
- 100% online Human Services BS degree
- Find concentrations in Counseling, Management, Psychology & more
- Ranked in the Best Online Bachelor’s Programs by the US News & World Report
- Post University earned the 2017 Military Spouse Friendly School® designation
- B.S. in Human Services / Counseling
- Graduate Certificate in Alcohol & Drug Counseling
- Graduate Certificate in Professional Counseling
- And more...
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 87% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
Building on Purdue's mission to provide greater access to affordable, world-class education, Purdue University Global delivers a fully personalized online experience that's tailored to working adults. By opening the doors to adults who need flexibility to fit learning into their busy lives, we make it possible to achieve a high-quality education from a prestigious university system—completely online.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
What to Expect in OTA School
Generally the course work is about 24 months, with the first year being predominantly classroom teaching and with the second year spent doing hands on learning in a medical center or private care office. Some of the course work a student will likely need to take includes pediatrics, gerontology, medical terminology, and physical rehabilitation. All States that require licensure simply require a two year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree is required if you intend on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but you will find that almost all Occupational Therapist began their careers as Assistants and obtained their Bachelor’s Degrees a couple of years later.
Following graduation, those prepared to get started with their careers will have to become certified as an occupational therapist assistant. Each State has its own policies and regulations that will be governed by an occupational therapy board, with many being private and some run by the State exclusively. In Maine, licensing is controlled by the Maine Board of Occupational Therapy Practice. Although each State is unique, there are a number of requirements that are common among the majority of them and include the following.
Someone attempting to get an occupational therapy assistant certificate is required to be a U.S. citizen, will need to have a social security number and must have taken and passed appropriate college course work and also taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Every State requires a federal background check , however convictions are not necessarily automatic grounds for dismissal. Certain States may consider approving an occupational therapist license as long as a written affidavit is submitted to clarify the circumstances of the conviction. Other factors including time period and nature of the criminal offense may be examined and be taken into consideration to approve licensure .
Every State will provide an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensing packet that is going to contain several forms to submit. You should not pay for these forms from a third party since they can be found online from many trusted websites. It is advised to take a very in depth look through the forms before attempting to complete them. It will have official transcripts necessary; notarized signatures and many States will need you to complete a fingerprint card that can be completed at a local police station.
Job Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA will work with many different patients that have needs which may be totally different compared to the previous patient. You might be working in an outpatient facility with kids that happen to have food or texture aversions or maybe a hospital rehab facility working with a middle age man with emotional struggles . Though an occupational therapy assistant has numerous job skills, some of the basics such as following direction, keeping up to date with the most current techniques and implementing and employing the available technologies are extremely important. Finally, a COTA should be somewhat physically fit, since you will encounter numerous instances of shifting patients around, including from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like the career for you, then take a few minutes and visit the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of training programs near York, ME that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant classes. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in York, ME reviewed by Melanie SNYDER on June 4.
Thank You for creating such an informative website. I was able to find great info about the various schools in my area and chose one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my classes and can’t wait to become an OTA.