When you begin your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Acworth, GA, you are going to quickly learn that there has never been a better time for you to undertake a career as an OTA. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics expects jobs in this particular industry to increase by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this means over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is the fact that the median Occupational Therapy Assistant wage is over $53,000 per year making it among the best paying healthcare careers that does not require a University Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Acworth, GA
The first step towards a career as an OTA is choosing the right Occupational Therapy Program. There are currently approximately two hundred accredited occupational therapy schools in the United States and Puerto Rico and almost all of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you decide to jump in to select a training program, you will need to consider all of your options and make sure you locate an Occupational Therapy training program that fulfills all your needs.
Details You Should Consider When Selecting an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is essential because you can be assured that you are going to be taught the full range of skills necessary to be an effective OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants assist patients on an array of health problems and disorders making it essential that your course work is very diversified rather then too concentrated on one particular area of specialization.
Another significant factor you should consider is the clinical training experience. This is the hands-on training, it is when you are able to interact with actual patients and put your knowledge to use. Some schools designate significantly more time on your actual clinical training when compared to the others. In cases where your training program is not spending large amounts of time with clinical instructing, be sure that you ask why.
Something else to consider is the class size. The size of will vary considerably from school to school. Make sure you find out the class sizes at all the schools you are considering. Bear in mind, the smaller the classes , the more one-on-one instruction that you receive with your instructors.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online do not work for every student. Yet, for many of us online courses can ease many of the burdens of being a full time student. Job and household will often be driven aside as students continue their education and online classes provide a little flexibility to a busy life.
The final issue you ought to look into before selecting an Occupational Therapy School is the rate of the colleges you are evaluating. Always find out how many students finish the program, what their comments were, and how many of them have gone on to become OTA’s.
Recommended Occupational Therapy Schools in Acworth, GA
Since 1977, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career-focused education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.
- Associate of Science in Occupational Therapy Assistant
- Work in the fascinating and rewarding field of psychology - earn your bachelor's or master's degree online with Grand Canyon University.
- The College of Humanities and Social Sciences promotes research, creativity, ethical formation and inquiry through critical, analytical and interdisciplinary study.
- GCU's bachelor's and master's in psychology degrees combine academic theory with practical application.
- Gain a comprehensive study of human behavior within a Christian values-oriented environment designed to emphasize compassion and ethics.
- Join a values-based community surrounded by compassion, ethics and research on human behavior.
- M.S. in Professional Counseling with an Emphasis in Childhood and Adolescence Disorders
- M.S. in Christian Counseling
- M.S. in Professional Counseling with an Emphasis in Marriage and Family Therapy
- And more...
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Kaplan University Online Degree Programs
- Attend college on your terms. Kaplan University offers fully online degree programs that fit any schedule.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Master of Science) - Online
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Certificate) - Online
- Sports Counseling (Certificate) - Online
- Bachelor of Arts in Substance Abuse Counseling
- View Associates, Bachelors or Graduate Degree Programs in Psychology Near YOU!
- Enter YOUR Needs and Requirements. Get Matched to the Perfect Campus or Online Degree Programs for You.
- Free information for Psychology, Counseling Psychology Degree Programs and MORE.
- Accredited, Flexible Psychology Degree Programs to Fit Your Time and Budget. Use our Matching Service - It's Easy and FREE!
The goal of Virginia College lies in its responsibility to its students, the technical and business communities, and the general citizenry. We have a long history of offering new direction to students.
What to Expect in OTA School
Typically the course work is roughly 24 months, with the first year being primarily classroom instruction and with the second year spent doing hands on training in a medical center or private medical office. Some of the course work a student will likely need to take includes pediatrics, gerontology, healthcare terms, and physical rehab. All States that require licensure just require a two year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree is going to be required if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but the truth is you will find that most Occupational Therapist launched their careers as Assistants and received their Bachelor’s Degrees a couple of years later.
Following graduation, those ready to get started with their careers need to become certified as an OTA. Each State has its own guidelines and regulations that will be governed by an occupational therapy board, with some being private while others are run by the State exclusively. In Georgia, licensing is controlled by the Georgia State Board of Occupational Therapy. Although each State is different, there are a number of requirements which happen to be common among many of them and can include the following.
An individual applying for an occupational therapy assistant certificate must be a U.S. citizen, must have a social security number and must have taken and completed appropriate college course work and also taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Every State requires a federal background check , but convictions are not always immediate grounds for dismissal. A handful of States may consider processing an occupational therapy license in a case where a written affidavit is submitted to describe the circumstances of the conviction. Additional circumstances including time and nature of the crime may be reviewed and be considered to approve licensure .
Every State will provide an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensing package which will contain many forms to complete. Do not pay for these forms from a third party since they can be accessed online from many legitimate sites. It is advised to take a very in depth look through the forms before attempting to complete them. There will be official transcripts needed; notarized signatures and several States will want you to submit a fingerprint card which can be completed at a local police station.
Workplace for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA will work with a range of patients which have needs that may be different in comparison to the previous patient. You could be working for an outpatient facility with toddlers that happen to have food or texture aversions or maybe a hospital rehabilitation facility working with a middle age man with psychological struggles . Even though an occupational therapy assistant possesses a variety of job skills, some of the basics like following direction, keeping up to date with the most current techniques and learning and using the available technology are the most important. Finally, a COTA also needs to be reasonably physically fit, because there will be several instances of transferring patients around, for example from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this sounds like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes to visit the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near Acworth, GA that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant classes. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Acworth, GA reviewed by Serenity HAWKINS on June 11.
Very Helpful Site
Thank You for creating such an informative website. I was able to find great info about the OTA schools in my area and chose one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my classes and can’t wait to become an Occupational Therapy Assistant.