When you begin your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Addison, TX, you will quickly see that there has never been a better time to pursue a career as an OTA. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics is expecting jobs in this field to grow by 43% over the 10 year period 2010-2020, this equates to over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The better news is that the median Occupational Therapy Assistant earnings is greater than $53,000 per year making it amongst the best paying health care jobs that does not require a University Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Addison, TX
The initial step toward a career as an OTA is determining the right Occupational Therapy School. There are at the moment almost two hundred accredited occupational therapy schools in the United States and Puerto Rico and almost all of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you dive in to pick a training program, you will need to think about all of your alternatives to make certain you locate an Occupational Therapy school that matches all your preferences.
Details You Must Consider When Selecting an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is essential because you will be assured you will be taught the full variety of skills necessary to be a knowledgeable OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants assist patients on numerous types of issues and disorders making it very important that your schooling is very diversified instead of too focused on a particular area of specialization.
Another significant factor to take under consideration is the clinical training experience. This is your hands-on training, it is when you are going to interact with real patients and put your skills to use. Some schools designate substantially more time on your actual clinical training in comparison with others. In situations where your school is not devoting a considerable amount of time with clinical training, make sure that you ask why.
Something else to look into is the class sizes. The size of the classes will vary considerably from school to school. Make sure you find out the class sizes at all the schools you are researching. Keep in mind, the smaller the class size , the more one-on-one teaching that you receive with the trainers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online might not work for each individual student. However, for some people online courses can ease some of the burdens of being a full time student. Work and family members are sometimes pushed aside as students continue their schooling and online classes can provide some flexibility to a busy life.
The last detail that you have to look at prior to selecting an Occupational Therapy School is the success rate of the colleges you are looking at. Make sure that you find out how many people finish the program, what their reviews were, and just how many of them have gone to become Occupational Therapists.
Recommended Occupational Therapy Schools in Addison, TX
- Does psychology interest you? See if Grand Canyon University could be a good fit for your journey in discovering the human mind!
- GCU offers a Bachelor of Science in Psychology and a Master of Science in Psychology with an emphasis in either General Psychology or Industrial & Organizational Psychology.
- The College of Humanities and Social Sciences at GCU provides a job focused education, blending the study of traditional humanities in a modern context.
- GCU offers a variety of learning options, including: traditional degree programs offered at our main campus, online degrees, or evening classes meeting once a week at various locations.
- Founded in 1949, GCU is a regionally accredited, private Christian university and is recognized as offering some of the best online education programs in the nation.
- Request information and learn more about our program offerings, start dates, financial aid and more!
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Prevention
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- And more...
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Designated a 2015 Military Friendly School by Victory Media for the 4th consecutive year.
- Listed on the President’s Higher Education Community Service Honor Roll in 2013, for the sixth consecutive year
- Links students to hundreds of training opportunities (beyond their traditional internships and practicum) at their many “partner agencies” in each of their local communities.
- Accredited by the WASC Senior College and University Commission (WUSCUC).
- M.A. Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- Education Connection is a 100% Free College Matching Service used by 50,000 People Daily.
- Get Matched to Psychology, Counseling, Human Services, Organizational, and Clinical Psychology Degree Programs and MORE.
- View Bachelor's, Master's, Doctorate and Graduate Certificate Degree Programs in Psychology and Human Services Near YOU!
- Accredited and Flexible Psychology Degree Programs to Fit Your Time and Budget. Use Our Matching Service - It's Easy and FREE!
The Texas Center for Massage Therapy is a member of the Steiner Education Group, which is a subsidiary of Steiner Leisure Limited, a global provider of spa services. Steiner Leisure Limited operates more than 175 spas and salons on cruise ships and at resorts worldwide. Steiner spas recruit from the Steiner Education Group schools.
Classes start November 13!
REACH HIGHER, GET HIRED
Take the step to get a new career today
SPARK SUCCESS WITH SCI
Southern Careers Institute has maintained a tradition of career training for over 50 years in Texas with campuses in Austin, Brownsville, Corpus Christi, Harlingen, Pharr, San Antonio & Online courses available to anyone, anywhere.
At SCI, we have made it our mission to provide our students with the training they need to be successful in a new career. We offer career training in Medical, Business, Skilled Trades, Cosmetology, & Technology programs. These certification-based programs are designed to make our graduates some of the most marketable job candidates.
We are Texas born, Texas proud.
The goal of Virginia College lies in its responsibility to its students, the technical and business communities, and the general citizenry. We have a long history of offering new direction to students.
What to Expect in OTA School
Normally the course work is approximately 24 months, with the first year consisting of primarily class-room training and with the second year spent doing hands on instruction in a hospital facility or private care office. Some of the course work a student will have to take involves pediatrics, gerontology, healthcare terminology, and physical therapy. All States that require licensure only call for a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree will be required if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, however you will find that the majority of Occupational Therapist started their careers as Assistants and achieved their Bachelor’s Degrees a couple of years later.
Following graduation, those ready to start their careers will have to become licensed as an OTA. Each State has its own rules and regulations that are governed by an occupational therapy board, with some being private and some run by the State exclusively. In Texas, licensing is administered by the Texas Executive Council of PT & OT Examiners. While every State is different, there are a number of requirements which are common among most of them and include the following.
A person trying to get an occupational therapy assistant license is required to be a U.S. citizen, needs to have a social security number and is required to have taken and completed applicable college course work in addition to having taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Each State requires a federal background check , although convictions are not necessarily immediate grounds for dismissal. Certain States may consider processing an occupational therapy license if a written affidavit is filed to clarify the circumstances of the conviction. Other factors including time and nature of the transgression may be evaluated and be considered to approve licensure .
Every State will provide an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensure kit which will contain several forms to fill out. Never buy these forms from a third party as they can be found online from many legitimate sites. It is advised to take a very comprehensive look through the paper work before trying to complete them. There will be official transcripts wanted; notarized signatures and many States will ask you to include a fingerprint card which may be completed at a local police station.
Work Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA will work with an assortment of patients which have needs that could be totally different than from the previous patient. You might be working in an outpatient facility with infants that happen to have food or texture aversions or a hospital rehabilitation center working with a middle age man with psychological struggles . Though an occupational therapy assistant possesses a large number of job skills, some of the basics including following direction, keeping up to date with the freshest techniques and learning and using the available technologies are extremely important. Finally, a COTA also needs to be reasonably physically fit, since you will encounter several instances of transferring patients around, including from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this sounds like the career for you, then take a few minutes to fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near Addison, TX that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant training. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Addison, TX reviewed by Allison DIXON on June 11.
Thank You for sharing such an informative website. I was able to get great info about the OTA schools in my area and found one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my training and can’t wait to work as an Occupational Therapy Assistant.