Once you commence your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Albany, CA, you will quickly find that there has never been a better time to pursue a career as an OTA. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts jobs in this industry to grow by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this equals over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The better news is the fact that the median Occupational Therapy Assistant wage is greater than $53,000 annually making it one of the highest paying healthcare careers that does not call for a Bachelor’s Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Albany, CA
The initial step toward a career as an OTA is choosing the best Occupational Therapy School. There are at this time nearly 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the United States and Puerto Rico and almost all of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you decide to jump in and select a school, you might want to think about all of the options to make sure you locate an Occupational Therapy school that suits all your requirements.
Things You Must Consider When Selecting an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is essential because you can be reassured you will be taught the full variety of skills required to be a knowledgeable OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on a wide array of issues and disorders therefore it is crucial that your training is very wide-ranging instead of too dedicated to one particular area of specialization.
Another really important feature to take under consideration is the clinical teaching experience. This is the practical training, and this is when you are going to interact with real patients and put your abilities to use. Some schools allocate considerably more time on your actual laboratory experience when compared to the other training programs. In instances where your training program is not devoting a large amount of time with clinical teaching, make sure that you find out why.
Something else to also consider is the class sizes. The size of your class may vary significantly from college to college. Make sure you find out the class sizes at all the schools you are researching. Try to remember, the smaller the class size , the more one-on-one teaching that you receive with your professors.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online do not work for every student. However, for some online classes can alleviate a few of the burdens of being a full time student. Job and family can be driven aside while students undertake their education and online classes provide a little flexibility to a busy schedule.
The final thing that you have to look at before choosing an Occupational Therapy School is the success rate of the colleges you are looking at. Make sure to find out how many students finish the program, what their assessments were, and just how many of them have gone on to become OTA’s.
Recommended Occupational Therapy Schools in Albany, CA
- Does the Human Mind Fascinate You? Study Psychology! Choose Your Degree:
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology
- Master of Science in Psychology with an Emphasis in General Psychology
- Master of Science in Psychology with an Emphasis in Industrial and Organizational Psychology
- Convenient online program options available for the master's and bachelor's degree.
- Speak to an enrollment counselor today and find the degree that is right for you!
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Prevention
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- And more...
- Ranked among the Best Online Bachelor’s Programs by U.S. News and World Report in 2015.
- Ranked among the Best Online MBA Programs by U.S. News and World Report in 2015.
- Founded in 1890, it has a campus in Waterbury, CT and offers online degree program in eight-week modules, six times a year.
- About 800 students are enrolled at the main campus, and about half of them commute.
- Online courses make it possible for students to earn a bachelor’s degree in as little as 18 months and a master’s degree in 14-24 months.
- B.S. in Human Services / Counseling
- Graduate Certificate in Alcohol & Drug Counseling
- Graduate Certificate in Professional Counseling
- And more...
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
Back to School Scholarship Available to All New Students Until October 22nd.
Since 1996, Southern California Health Institute has been dedicated and committed to helping students achieve their dreams by providing an exceptional education that enables them to become skilled and successful manual therapists. We have graduated over 1,500 students who are now a part of a larger community of wellness and healthcare.
- Physical Therapy Aide/Sports Rehab Program
We keep education relevant by employing instructors with real-world experience in the field, who bring their career backgrounds to the classroom. Our programs are continually assessed by faculty, staff and members of the business and education communities to help ensure your studies align with your career goals. Programs offered by Brightwood College focus on local employment needs, in areas such as allied health, nursing and technical and professional programs.
- Therapy Health Technician
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
The Chicago School is a not-for-profit, regionally accredited institution with more than 4285 students at campuses across the country and online. TCSPP has been an innovator in the field of psychology and related behavioral science for more than 30 years.
- M.A. Clinical Psychology, Marital and Family Therapy Specialization
- Psy.D. Clinical Psychology
- Psy.D. Applied Clinical Psychology
- Bachelor of Arts in Substance Abuse Counseling
What to Expect in OTA School
Generally the course work is about two years, with the first year consisting of predominantly class-room teaching and with the second year spent carrying out hands on learning in a hospital or private care practice. Some of the course work a student will want to take includes pediatrics, gerontology, healthcare terminology, and physical therapy. All States that require licensure simply require a two year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree is necessary if you intend on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but you will find that most Occupational Therapist began their careers as Assistants and received their Bachelor’s Degrees a few years later.
Licensing Information and Facts
Following graduation, those prepared to begin their careers have to become certified as an occupational therapist assistant. Each State has its own policies and specifications which are governed by an occupational therapy board, with many being private while others are run by the State exclusively. In California, licensing is administered by the California Board of Occupational Therapy. Though each State is different, there are a number of requirements which happen to be common among most of them and include the following.
Any person seeking an occupational therapy assistant license has to be a U.S. citizen, will need to have a social security number and needs to have taken and passed appropriate college course work as well as taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Each State requires a federal background check , although convictions are not always immediate grounds for dismissal. Several States may consider approving an occupational therapy license in a case where a written affidavit is filed to describe the circumstances of the conviction. Additional factors including time and nature of the crime may be assessed and be considered to grant licensure .
Every State will have an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensure kit which will include many forms to complete. Never buy these forms from a third party as they can be found online from many trusted websites. It is advised to take a very comprehensive look through the forms before attempting to complete them. You might have official transcripts needed; notarized signatures and many States will require you to complete a fingerprint card which can be completed at a local police station.
Workplace for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA will work with a number of different patients who have needs that could be different in comparison to the previous patient. You could be employed in an outpatient clinic with small children that happen to have food or texture aversions or a hospital treatment facility working with a middle age woman with psychological and mental struggles . Although an occupational therapy assistant has numerous job skills, a couple of the basics such as following direction, keeping up to date with the most up-to-date techniques and learning and applying the available technology are extremely important. Finally, a COTA should also be relatively physically fit, because you will encounter several instances of shifting patients around, such as from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like the career for you, then take a few minutes and fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of training programs near Albany, CA that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant classes. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Albany, CA reviewed by Andrew GARCIA on June 11.
Terrific Source of Info
Thank You for sharing such an informative website. I was able to get a lot of info about the various schools in my area and found one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my training and can’t wait to become an Occupational Therapist.