As you commence your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Aliquippa, PA, you will probably soon discover that there has never been a better time to go after a career as an OTA. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics expects jobs in this particular field to grow by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this equals over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The better news is the fact that the average Occupational Therapy Assistant income is over $53,000 annually which makes it right there with the highest paying medical careers that does not require a Four Year Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Aliquippa, PA
The initial step towards a career as an OTA is choosing the right Occupational Therapy School. There are at this time almost two hundred accredited occupational therapy schools in the United States and Puerto Rico and nearly all the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you jump in and decide on a school, you might want to think about all of the options and make sure you find an Occupational Therapy school that satisfies all your preferences.
Details You Must Consider When Picking an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is important because you can be confident you will learn about the full range of skills necessary to be an effective OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants assist patients on a wide variety of health conditions and disorders making it very important that your schooling is very diverse instead of too dedicated to a particular area of specialization.
Another really important component you must consider is the clinical learning experience. This is the hands-on training, it is where you actually interact with actual patients and put your abilities to use. Some schools allocate significantly more time on your actual laboratory training in comparison with others. In situations where your training program is not spending large amounts of time with clinical teaching, make sure to ask why.
Something else to look into is the class sizes. The size of the classes can vary considerably from school to school. Make an effort to find out the class sizes at the schools you are considering. Keep in mind, the smaller the class size , the more one-on-one teaching that you receive with the teachers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online do not work for each individual student. However, for many of us online training can ease many of the burdens of being a full time student. Work and family are oftentimes pushed aside while students continue their training and online classes provide a bit of flexibility to a busy schedule.
The final issue you ought to take a look at prior to selecting an Occupational Therapy School is the rate of the colleges you are considering. Be sure you find out how many people graduate from the program, what their assessments were, and exactly how many of them have gone on to become Occupational Therapists.
Recommended Occupational Therapy Schools in Aliquippa, PA
- Fortis offers nursing programs including ADN, PN, BSN degrees, and more
- 40+ schools in 15 states including Florida, Arizona, Ohio, and Virginia
- All colleges are accredited by ABHES, ACCSC, ACICS, or other accrediting bodies
- Fortis Online serves benefits to US military service members
- Grants & scholarship aid may be available for qualifying students
- Associate of Occupational Science Degree in Management
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Christian Counseling
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Childhood and Adolescence Disorders
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Trauma
- And more...
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
Building on Purdue's mission to provide greater access to affordable, world-class education, Purdue University Globaldelivers a fully personalized online experience that's tailored to working adults. By opening the doors to adults who need flexibility to fit learning into their busy lives, we make it possible to achieve a high-quality education from a prestigious university system—completely online.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
Divine Mercy University (DMU) is a Catholic graduate school of psychology and counseling, founded in 1999 as the Institute for the Psychological Sciences. The University is dedicated to the scientific study of psychology with a Catholic understanding of the person, marriage and the family. The University offers Master of Science (M.S.) and Doctoral (Psy.D.) degrees in Clinical Psychology, a Master of Science (M.S.) degree in Psychology and a Master of Science (M.S.) in Clinical Mental Health Counseling.
- Psy.D. in Clinical Psychology
- M.S. in Counseling
- Bachelor of Arts in Substance Abuse Counseling
Abilene Christian University is a national leader in Christian higher education and a place where students, faculty, staff and alumni make a real difference in the world.
- Master of Arts in Christian Ministry
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
What to Expect in OTA School
Generally the course work is approximately two years, with the first year being mostly class-room instruction and with the second year spent going through hands on instruction in a hospital facility or private medical office. Some of the course work a student will likely need to take includes pediatrics, gerontology, clinical jargon, and physical rehab. All States that require licensure simply require a two year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree will be required if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but the truth is you will find that a majority of Occupational Therapist started their careers as Assistants and earned their Bachelor’s Degrees several years later.
Licensing Information and Facts
Following graduation, those prepared to get started on their careers must become certified as an OTA. Every State has its own rules and specifications which are governed by an occupational therapy board, with a few being private while others are run by the State exclusively. In Pennsylvania, licensing is handled by the Pennsylvania State Board of Occupational Therapy Education and Licensure. Although each State is unique, there are a number of requirements that are common among most of them and can include the following.
A person attempting to get an occupational therapy assistant license has to be a U.S. citizen, will need to have a social security number and must have taken and completed applicable college course work and also taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Each State requires a federal background check , however convictions are not always immediate grounds for dismissal. Several States may consider processing an occupational therapy license if a written affidavit is submitted to clarify the circumstances of the conviction. Other factors including time frame and nature of the offense may be evaluated and be taken into consideration to grant licensure .
Every State will have an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensure packet that is going to include a number of forms to submit. Never buy these forms from a third party since they can be accessed online from many trustworthy internet sites. It is advised to take a very in depth look through the forms before attempting to complete them. You might have official transcripts necessary; notarized signatures and several States will ask you to include a fingerprint card that can be completed at a local police station.
Work Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA will work with a number of different patients who may have needs that may be very different the previous patient. You may be working for an outpatient facility with young children who may have food or texture aversions or perhaps a hospital rehab facility working with a middle age man with psychological struggles . Though an occupational therapy assistant has many job skills, a few of the basics including following direction, keeping up to date with the freshest techniques and implementing and employing the available technology are extremely important. Finally, a COTA also needs to be relatively physically fit, because you will have many instances of moving patients around, such as from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this sounds like the career for you, then take a few minutes and visit the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near Aliquippa, PA that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant classes. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Aliquippa, PA reviewed by Adam COLEMAN on June 13.
Terrific Source of Info
Thank You for creating such an informative website. I was able to get great info about the various schools in my area and chose one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my training and can’t wait to become an Occupational Therapist.