As you commence your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Aliquippa, PA, you will probably soon discover that there has never been a better time to go after a career as an OTA. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics expects jobs in this particular field to grow by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this equals over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The better news is the fact that the average Occupational Therapy Assistant income is over $53,000 annually which makes it right there with the highest paying medical careers that does not require a Four Year Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Aliquippa, PA
The initial step towards a career as an OTA is choosing the right Occupational Therapy School. There are at this time almost two hundred accredited occupational therapy schools in the United States and Puerto Rico and nearly all the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you jump in and decide on a school, you might want to think about all of the options and make sure you find an Occupational Therapy school that satisfies all your preferences.
Details You Must Consider When Picking an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is important because you can be confident you will learn about the full range of skills necessary to be an effective OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants assist patients on a wide variety of health conditions and disorders making it very important that your schooling is very diverse instead of too dedicated to a particular area of specialization.
Another really important component you must consider is the clinical learning experience. This is the hands-on training, it is where you actually interact with actual patients and put your abilities to use. Some schools allocate significantly more time on your actual laboratory training in comparison with others. In situations where your training program is not spending large amounts of time with clinical teaching, make sure to ask why.
Something else to look into is the class sizes. The size of the classes can vary considerably from school to school. Make an effort to find out the class sizes at the schools you are considering. Keep in mind, the smaller the class size , the more one-on-one teaching that you receive with the teachers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online do not work for each individual student. However, for many of us online training can ease many of the burdens of being a full time student. Work and family are oftentimes pushed aside while students continue their training and online classes provide a bit of flexibility to a busy schedule.
The final issue you ought to take a look at prior to selecting an Occupational Therapy School is the rate of the colleges you are considering. Be sure you find out how many people graduate from the program, what their assessments were, and exactly how many of them have gone on to become Occupational Therapists.
Recommended Occupational Therapy Schools in Aliquippa, PA
- Want to explore human action and interaction? A psychology degree from GCU may be for you!
- Bachelor's and master's degrees offered conveniently online and on campus to fit your needs.
- Choose from a variety of program focuses at the bachelor's or master's level.
- Examine how personality and cognitive thinking is formed, developed and influenced.
- Science-based core curriculum that guides your knowledge of human behavior.
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Christian Counseling
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Childhood and Adolescence Disorders
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Trauma
- And more...
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology program helps students prepare for careers in counseling, marketing/sales, human services, ministry, and more.
- The School of Psychology & Counseling received a 95% match rate for 4th year Psy.D. student internships in 2015.
- Programmatic accreditation for psychology programs is provided by the American Psychological Association (APA).
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- M.A. in Human Services - Addictions Counseling
- Learn how you can make a difference in the Human Services field with a degree from Post
- 100% online Human Services BS degree
- Find concentrations in Counseling, Management, Psychology & more
- Ranked in the Best Online Bachelor’s Programs by the US News & World Report
- Post University earned the 2017 Military Spouse Friendly School® designation
- B.S. in Human Services / Counseling
- Graduate Certificate in Alcohol & Drug Counseling
- Graduate Certificate in Professional Counseling
- And more...
- Experience world-class education online: Purdue Global offers 180 programs at associate's, bachelor's, master's and doctoral levels
- Courses taught by highly respected faculty members who are experts in their fields
- Competency-based ExcelTrack™ Programs may allow you to earn your degree faster and for less money
- Full range of student services: individual educational advising, hands-on learning through interactive online classroom, no-cost tutoring in math, science and writing
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
What to Expect in OTA School
Generally the course work is approximately two years, with the first year being mostly class-room instruction and with the second year spent going through hands on instruction in a hospital facility or private medical office. Some of the course work a student will likely need to take includes pediatrics, gerontology, clinical jargon, and physical rehab. All States that require licensure simply require a two year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree will be required if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but the truth is you will find that a majority of Occupational Therapist started their careers as Assistants and earned their Bachelor’s Degrees several years later.
Licensing Information and Facts
Following graduation, those prepared to get started on their careers must become certified as an OTA. Every State has its own rules and specifications which are governed by an occupational therapy board, with a few being private while others are run by the State exclusively. In Pennsylvania, licensing is handled by the Pennsylvania State Board of Occupational Therapy Education and Licensure. Although each State is unique, there are a number of requirements that are common among most of them and can include the following.
A person attempting to get an occupational therapy assistant license has to be a U.S. citizen, will need to have a social security number and must have taken and completed applicable college course work and also taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Each State requires a federal background check , however convictions are not always immediate grounds for dismissal. Several States may consider processing an occupational therapy license if a written affidavit is submitted to clarify the circumstances of the conviction. Other factors including time frame and nature of the offense may be evaluated and be taken into consideration to grant licensure .
Every State will have an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensure packet that is going to include a number of forms to submit. Never buy these forms from a third party since they can be accessed online from many trustworthy internet sites. It is advised to take a very in depth look through the forms before attempting to complete them. You might have official transcripts necessary; notarized signatures and several States will ask you to include a fingerprint card that can be completed at a local police station.
Work Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA will work with a number of different patients who may have needs that may be very different the previous patient. You may be working for an outpatient facility with young children who may have food or texture aversions or perhaps a hospital rehab facility working with a middle age man with psychological struggles . Though an occupational therapy assistant has many job skills, a few of the basics including following direction, keeping up to date with the freshest techniques and implementing and employing the available technology are extremely important. Finally, a COTA also needs to be relatively physically fit, because you will have many instances of moving patients around, such as from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this sounds like the career for you, then take a few minutes and visit the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near Aliquippa, PA that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant classes. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Aliquippa, PA reviewed by Adam COLEMAN on June 13.
Terrific Source of Info
Thank You for creating such an informative website. I was able to get great info about the various schools in my area and chose one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my training and can’t wait to become an Occupational Therapist.