Once you commence your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Americus, GA, you can expect to soon discover that there has never been a better time for you to pursue a career as an Occupational Therapy Assistant. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics expects jobs in this particular industry to grow by 43% over the 10 year period 2010-2020, this is over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is the fact that the average Occupational Therapy Assistant income is over $53,000 per year making it among the highest paying health care careers that does not call for a Bachelor’s Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Americus, GA
The initial step toward a career as an OTA is finding the right Occupational Therapy Training Program. There are presently nearly 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and most of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you decide to jump in to pick a school, it is very important to evaluate all of the options to make sure you choose an Occupational Therapy school that matches all your preferences.
Details You Must Consider When Choosing an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is important because you can be reassured that you will be taught the full variety of techniques needed to be an effective OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on numerous types of health concerns and disorders so it is really important that your training is very wide-ranging instead of too focused on a particular discipline.
Another significant factor you should think about is the clinical training experience. This is the hands-on training, it is when you are going to interact with real patients and put your abilities to use. Some schools commit considerably more time on your actual clinical experience when compared to the other schools. In situations where your school is not spending large amounts of time with clinical training, be sure that you find out why.
Another thing to think about is the class sizes. The size of your class can vary significantly from college to college. Make an effort to find out the class sizes at all of schools you are researching. Bear in mind, the smaller the classes , the more one-on-one teaching that you receive with your instructors.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online do not work for each individual student. However, for some online training courses can relieve many of the burdens of being a full time student. Jobs and loved ones are frequently driven aside as students undertake their education and online classes can offer a bit of flexibility to a busy schedule.
The final issue you might want to look at before selecting an Occupational Therapy School is the graduation rate of the training programs you are evaluating. Be sure you find out how many trainees graduate from the program, what their assessments were, and just how many of them have gone to become OTA’s.
Featured Occupational Therapy Schools in Americus, GA
- Keiser University Online
- Offering 100% online programs for undergraduate and graduate degrees at Keiser!
- Associate of Science in Occupational Therapy Assistant
- Master of Science in Occupational Therapy - Bridge Program
- Associate of Science in Physical Therapist Assistant
Since 1977, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career-focused education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.
- Associate of Science in Occupational Therapy Assistant
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology program helps students prepare for careers in counseling, marketing/sales, human services, ministry, and more.
- The School of Psychology & Counseling received a 95% match rate for 4th year Psy.D. student internships in 2015.
- Programmatic accreditation for psychology programs is provided by the American Psychological Association (APA).
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- M.A. in Human Services - Addictions Counseling
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Pursue a Rewarding Career in a Field That Helps Individuals Better Their Lives With a Psychology Degree Online From Grand Canyon University
- Degree Emphases: General Psychology, Performance & Sport Psychology, Forensic Psychology, Geropsychology, Life Coaching and more.
- Discover how each person’s cognitive thinking is formed & influenced through class discussions and a capstone project.
- Prepare for a variety of career opportunities while studying human behavior and thought through GCU's psychology programs.
- Whether you are a full-time student or working professional, Grand Canyon University offers the flexibility you need to earn a psychology degree.
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Christian Counseling
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Childhood and Adolescence Disorders
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Trauma
- And more...
- Founded in 1949 as a private, accredited, nondenominational Christian university located in Phoenix, Arizona.
- Its student-faculty ratio is 16:1 and 33.9% of its classes have fewer than 20 students.
- Encourages students to find their purpose in Christ, with an emphasis on applying Christian values and ethics to the workplace.
- Provides Student Success Webinars where tutors provide tips and tricks to help make college a little easier.
- Offers programs in business, psychology, theology, engineering, communications, and more.
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Community Mental Health Administration
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- And more...
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
Building on Purdue's mission to provide greater access to affordable, world-class education, Purdue University Globaldelivers a fully personalized online experience that's tailored to working adults. By opening the doors to adults who need flexibility to fit learning into their busy lives, we make it possible to achieve a high-quality education from a prestigious university system—completely online.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Health Psychology - MA in Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
What to Expect in OTA School
Generally the course work is about 24 months, with the first year consisting of mostly class-room instruction and with the second year spent doing hands on learning in a healthcare facility or private medical office. Some of the course work a student will want to take involves pediatrics, gerontology, clinical terms, and physical rehab. All States that require licensure just require a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree is going to be required if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but you will find that a majority of Occupational Therapist began their careers as Assistants and earned their Bachelor’s Degrees some time later.
Licensing Information and Facts
Following graduation, those wanting to begin their careers must become licensed as an occupational therapist assistant. Every State has its own policies and specifications which are governed by an occupational therapy board, with some being private while others are run by the State exclusively. In Georgia, licensing is administered by the Georgia State Board of Occupational Therapy. Although each State is unique, there are a number of requirements that happen to be common among many of them and can include the following.
Any individual applying for an occupational therapy assistant certificate has to be a U.S. citizen, will need to have a social security number and is required to have taken and completed acceptable college course work in addition to having taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Every State requires a federal background check , although convictions are not always automatic grounds for dismissal. Some States may consider approving an occupational therapist license if a written affidavit is submitted to explain the circumstances of the conviction. Other factors including time and nature of the transgression may be assessed and be considered to approve licensure .
Every State will have an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensing kit that is going to include a number of forms to submit. You should not pay for these forms from a third party since they can be found online from many legitimate web sites. It is important to take a very comprehensive look through the paper work before trying to complete them. You might have official transcripts necessary; notarized signatures and several States will ask you to complete a fingerprint card which may be completed at a local police station.
Work Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA will work with many different patients which have needs which are often completely different than from the previous patient. You might be employed in an outpatient facility with small children who have food or texture aversions or perhaps a hospital rehabilitation facility working with a middle age woman with psychological and mental struggles . Even though an occupational therapy assistant has a variety of job skills, a few of the basics such as following direction, keeping up to date with the latest techniques and implementing and using the available technologies are the most important. Finally, a COTA also needs to be reasonably physically fit, because you will have plenty of instances of shifting patients around, for example from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes and fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of training programs near Americus, GA that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant classes. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Americus, GA reviewed by Camila BLACK on June 11.
Terrific Source of Info
Thank You for sharing such an informative website. I was able to get great info about the OTA schools in my area and found one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my classes and can’t wait to become an Occupational Therapy Assistant.