When you commence your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Angleton, TX, you can expect to soon discover that there has never been a better time to go after a career as an OTA. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics is expecting jobs within this industry to grow by 43% over the 10 year period 2010-2020, this equates to over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The better news is the fact that the median Occupational Therapy Assistant income is over $53,000 annually which makes it one of the best paying healthcare jobs that does not require a Four Year Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Angleton, TX
The initial step toward a career as an OTA is determining the right Occupational Therapy Program. There are currently approximately 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the United States and Puerto Rico and nearly all the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you decide to jump in to decide on a school, make sure you examine all of the options to make sure you locate an Occupational Therapy training program that matches all your needs.
Details You Must Consider When Deciding On an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is important because you can be confident that you are going to be taught the full array of competencies necessary to be a competent OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants assist patients on numerous types of health problems and disorders therefore it is imperative that your training is very diversified and not too focused on a particular discipline.
Another very important feature you must consider is the clinical learning experience. This is the practical training, it is where you are going to interact with real patients and put your skills to use. Some schools designate significantly more time on your actual clinical training when compared to the others. In cases where your training program is not devoting large amounts of time with clinical training, be sure that you find out why.
Another thing to think about is the class size. The size of will vary significantly from school to school. Be sure to find out the class sizes at the schools you are researching. Keep in mind, the smaller the class size , the more one-on-one teaching that you receive with the professors.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online do not work for each individual student. However, for many of us online training courses can alleviate some of the burdens of being a full time student. Job and family members are often times driven aside as students pursue their education and online classes provide a bit of flexibility to a busy schedule.
The final detail you should evaluate before selecting an Occupational Therapy School is the graduation rate of the colleges you are looking at. Be sure to find out how many people graduate from the program, what their observations were, and just how many of them have gone to become OTA’s.
Suggested Occupational Therapy Schools in Angleton, TX
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 95% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Does psychology interest you? See if Grand Canyon University could be a good fit for your journey in discovering the human mind!
- GCU offers a Bachelor of Science in Psychology and a Master of Science in Psychology with an emphasis in either General Psychology or Industrial & Organizational Psychology.
- The College of Humanities and Social Sciences at GCU provides a job focused education, blending the study of traditional humanities in a modern context.
- GCU offers a variety of learning options, including: traditional degree programs offered at our main campus, online degrees, or evening classes meeting once a week at various locations.
- Founded in 1949, GCU is a regionally accredited, private Christian university and is recognized as offering some of the best online education programs in the nation.
- Request information and learn more about our program offerings, start dates, financial aid and more!
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Family Dynamics
- And more...
- Bachelor of Arts in Substance Abuse Counseling
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Master of Science) - Online
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Certificate) - Online
- Sports Counseling (Certificate) - Online
What to Expect in OTA School
Generally the course work is approximately 24 months, with the first year being predominantly classroom training and with the second year spent doing hands on training in a medical facility or private medical practice. Some of the course work a student will have to take includes pediatrics, gerontology, clinical jargon, and physical rehabilitation. All States that require licensure only require a two year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree shall be needed if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but you will find that the majority of Occupational Therapist launched their careers as Assistants and obtained their Bachelor’s Degrees some time later.
Licensing Information and Facts
Following graduation, those prepared to get started with their careers will have to become licensed as an occupational therapist assistant. Every State has its own policies and specifications that are governed by an occupational therapy board, with many being private and several run by the State exclusively. In Texas, licensing is controlled by the Texas Executive Council of PT & OT Examiners. Though each State is unique, there are a number of requirements which happen to be common among many of them and can include the following.
A person seeking an occupational therapy assistant certificate is required to be a U.S. citizen, must have a social security number and is required to have taken and completed acceptable college course work and also taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Every State requires a federal background check , however convictions are not always immediate grounds for dismissal. A few States may consider approving an occupational therapy license in a case where a written affidavit is turned in to describe the circumstances of the conviction. Additional factors including time frame and nature of the criminal offense may be reviewed and be taken into consideration to grant licensure .
Each State will have an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensing packet that is going to include several forms to submit. Never spend money on these forms from a third party as they can be accessed online from many reputable internet sites. It is important to take a very extensive look through the forms before attempting to complete them. It will have official transcripts wanted; notarized signatures and many States will require you to turn in a fingerprint card which can be completed at a local police station.
Work Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA works with many different patients which have needs that could be completely different than from the previous patient. You could be working in an outpatient facility with toddlers that have food or texture aversions or a hospital rehabilitation facility working with a middle age patient with emotional struggles . Although an occupational therapy assistant has a variety of job skills, a couple of the basics like following direction, keeping up to date with the most up to date techniques and learning and using the available technologies are extremely important. Finally, a COTA should be relatively physically fit, as you will encounter many instances of moving patients around, such as from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this sounds like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes and fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of training programs near Angleton, TX that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant training. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Angleton, TX reviewed by Mia WEST on June 9.
Very Helpful Site
Thank You for creating such an informative website. I was able to find great info about the various schools in my area and chose one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my classes and can’t wait to become an OTA.