After you begin your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Anoka, MN, you are going to soon learn that there has never been a better time for you to undertake a career as an OTA. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics expects jobs in this particular field to grow by 43% over the 10 year period 2010-2020, this equates to over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is the fact that the median Occupational Therapy Assistant salary is greater than $53,000 yearly making it one of the best paying medical-related occupations that does not require a University Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Anoka, MN
The initial step towards a career as an OTA is finding the right Occupational Therapy Training Program. There are currently almost 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and almost all of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you decide to dive in and pick a school, make sure that you consider all of the options to make sure you locate an Occupational Therapy school that fulfills all your requirements.
Items You Must Consider When Deciding On an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is essential because you will be reassured that you are going to learn about the full range of techniques needed to be a knowledgeable OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on a wide array of health concerns and disorders making it essential that your schooling is very wide-ranging and not too focused on one particular area of specialization.
Another significant factor to take under consideration is the clinical learning experience. This is the practical training, it is when you are able to interact with actual patients and put your skills to use. Some schools designate significantly more time on your actual practical training compared to other training programs. In cases where your school is not spending a large amount of time with clinical training, make sure to ask why.
Something else to think about is the class sizes. The size of the classes will vary greatly from school to school. Make sure you find out the class sizes at all the schools you are researching. Remember, the smaller the class size , the more one-on-one teaching that you receive with the teachers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online do not work for every student. However, for some online courses can ease some of the burdens of being a full time student. Job and loved ones are often pushed aside as students carry on their education and learning and online classes provide a little flexibility to a busy schedule.
The final thing you want to consider before choosing an Occupational Therapy School is the rate of the schools you are looking at. Make certain you find out how many students graduate from the program, what their opinions were, and how many of them have gone to careers as OTA’s.
Featured Occupational Therapy Schools in Anoka, MN
- Pursue a Rewarding Career in a Field That Helps Individuals Better Their Lives With a Psychology Degree Online From Grand Canyon University
- Degree Emphases: General Psychology, Performance & Sport Psychology, Forensic Psychology, Geropsychology, Life Coaching and more.
- Discover how each person’s cognitive thinking is formed & influenced through class discussions and a capstone project.
- Prepare for a variety of career opportunities while studying human behavior and thought through GCU's psychology programs.
- Whether you are a full-time student or working professional, Grand Canyon University offers the flexibility you need to earn a psychology degree.
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Christian Counseling
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Childhood and Adolescence Disorders
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Trauma
- And more...
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Master of Arts in Counseling - Clinical Mental Health
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
Building on Purdue's mission to provide greater access to affordable, world-class education, Purdue University Globaldelivers a fully personalized online experience that's tailored to working adults. By opening the doors to adults who need flexibility to fit learning into their busy lives, we make it possible to achieve a high-quality education from a prestigious university system—completely online.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
What to Expect in OTA School
In most cases the course work is roughly 24 months, with the first year being primarily class-room instruction and with the second year spent carrying out hands on lessons in a healthcare facility or private care office. Some of the course work a student will likely need to take includes pediatrics, gerontology, health care terminology, and physical rehab. All States that require licensure just call for a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree will be required if you intend on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but you will find that the majority of Occupational Therapist started their careers as Assistants and obtained their Bachelor’s Degrees several years later.
Licensing Information and Facts
Following graduation, those prepared to get started on their careers will have to become certified as an OTA. Every State has its own rules and specifications that will be governed by an occupational therapy board, with a few being private and some run by the State exclusively. In Minnesota, licensing is administrated by the Minnesota Department of Health OT/OTA Licensing Advisory Council. Though every State is unique, there are a number of requirements which are common among most of them and include the following.
A person seeking an occupational therapy assistant certificate must be a U.S. citizen, will need to have a social security number and needs to have taken and completed acceptable college course work and also taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Each State requires a federal background check , although convictions are not necessarily immediate grounds for dismissal. Certain States may consider approving an occupational therapy license if a written affidavit is turned in to clarify the circumstances of the conviction. Other factors including time period and nature of the crime may be examined and be taken into consideration to approve licensure .
Each State will provide an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensing package which will contain quite a few forms to complete. Never buy these forms from a third party as they can be accessed online from many legitimate internet sites. It is important to take a very thorough look through the forms before attempting to complete them. There will be official transcripts required; notarized signatures and many States will ask you to submit a fingerprint card that can be completed at a local police station.
Job Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA will work with a variety of patients who may have needs that could be totally different the previous patient. You could be employed in an outpatient clinic with small children who may have food or texture aversions or perhaps a hospital treatment facility working with a middle age man with emotional struggles . Though an occupational therapy assistant possesses a variety of job skills, some of the basics including following direction, keeping up to date with the most updated techniques and learning and using the available technologies are the most important. Finally, a COTA must also be somewhat physically fit, because you will encounter several instances of shifting patients around, such as from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this sounds like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes to visit the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of training programs near Anoka, MN that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant classes. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Anoka, MN reviewed by Piper FRANKLIN on June 17.
Very Helpful Site
Thank You for sharing such an informative website. I was able to get a lot of info about the OTA schools in my area and found one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my classes and can’t wait to become an Occupational Therapist.