When you begin your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Apple Valley, CA, you can expect to quickly discover that there has never been a better time for you to undertake a career as an Occupational Therapy Assistant. The U .S . Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics expects jobs in this field to expand by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this equals over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is that the average Occupational Therapy Assistantpay is over $53,000 annually which makes it one ofthe best paying healthcare vocations that does not call for a Bachelor’s Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Apple Valley, CA
The first step toward a career as an OTA is choosing the right Occupational Therapy Training Program. There are presently almost two hundred accredited occupational therapy schools in the United States and Puerto Rico and nearly all the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you decide to jump in and pick a school, you might want to consider all of the options and make sure you choose an Occupational Therapy training program thatsatisfies all your requirements.
Items You Should Consider When Choosing an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is essential because you can be confident that you will learn about the full range of techniques necessary to be a qualified OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on a wide variety of ailments and disorders making it crucial that yourschooling is very diversified instead of too concentrated on one particular area of specialization.
Another important component you should consider is the clinical teaching experience. This is the practical training, and this is when you are going to interact with actual patients and put your skills to use. Some schoolsdesignate substantially more time on your actual laboratory experiencewhen compared to other schools. In situations where your training program is not devoting large amounts of time with clinical training, make sure that you find out why.
Something else to consider is the class size. The size of the classes can varysignificantly from college to college. Make sure you find out the class sizes at all the schools you are considering. Keep in mind, the smaller the classes , the more one-on-one instruction you will get with the teachers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online may not work for every student. However, for some people online training can relieve several of the burdens of being a full time student. Jobs and family members tend to be pushed aside while students carry on their training and online classes provide a little flexibility to a busy schedule.
The last detail you want to look at before selecting an Occupational Therapy School is the graduation rate of the colleges you are considering. Make sure to find out how many people finish the program, what their observations were , and exactly how many of them have gone on to become Occupational Therapy Assistants.
Suggested Occupational Therapy Schools in Apple Valley, CA
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Family Dynamics
- And more...
- Learn how you can make a difference in the Human Services field with a degree from Post
- 100% online Human Services BS degree
- Find concentrations in Counseling, Management, Psychology & more
- Ranked in the Best Online Bachelor’s Programs by the US News & World Report
- Post University earned the 2017 Military Spouse Friendly School® designation
- B.S. in Human Services / Counseling
- Graduate Certificate in Alcohol & Drug Counseling
- Graduate Certificate in Professional Counseling
- And more...
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
Back to School Scholarship Available to All New Students Until October 22nd.
Since 1996, Southern California Health Institute has been dedicated and committed to helping students achieve their dreams by providing an exceptional education that enables them to become skilled and successful manual therapists. We have graduated over 1,500 students who are now a part of a larger community of wellness and healthcare.
- Physical Therapy Aide/Sports Rehab Program
What to Expect in OTA School
In most cases the course work is approximately 2 years, with the first year consisting ofpredominantly classroom teaching and with the second year spent carrying outhands on learning in a medical facility or private medical office. Some of the course work a student will likely need to take involves pediatrics , gerontology,medical terminology , and physical therapy. All States that require licensure onlycall for a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree is going to be necessary if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but the truth is you will find that the majority of Occupational Therapistbegan their careers as Assistants and obtained their Bachelor’s Degrees some time later.
Following graduation, those wanting to get started with their careers mustbecome certified as an OTA. Each State has its own rules and regulations that will be governed by an occupational therapy board, with some being private and some run by the State exclusively. In California, licensure is administered by the Board of Occupational Therapy. Though each State is different, there are a number of requirements which happen to be common among many of themand can include the following.
An individual attempting to get an occupational therapy assistant license will have to be a U.S. citizen, needs to have a social security number and must have taken and completed applicable college course work in addition to having taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Every State requires a federal background check , but convictions are not always immediate grounds for dismissal. A handful of States may consider processing an occupational therapist license as long as a written affidavit is submitted to describe the circumstances of the conviction. Additional circumstances including time period and nature of the transgression may be reviewedand be considered to approve licensure .
Every State will have an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensure packet which will includenumerous forms to submit. Never purchase these forms from a third party because they can be accessed online from many trustworthy sites . It is important to take a very thorough look through theforms before attempting to complete them. There may be official transcriptsneeded ; notarized signatures and many States will need you to submit a fingerprint card that can be completed at a local police station.
Job Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA will work with a range of patients that have needsthat will be very different in comparison to the previous patient . You may be employed in an outpatient facility with children who have food or texture aversions or a hospital rehabilitation center working with a middle age woman with emotional struggles . Although an occupational therapy assistant possesses numerous job skills , a couple of the basics including following direction , keeping up to date with the most up to date techniques and implementing and employing the available technologies are extremely important. Finally, a COTA must also be somewhat physically fit, because there will beplenty of instances of transferring patients around, for example from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes and visit the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near Apple Valley, CA that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant classes. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Apple Valley, CA reviewed by Savannah GORDON on June 9.
Terrific Source of Info
Thank You for sharing such an informative website. I was able to find more info about the various schools in my area and found one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my training and can’t wait to become an OTA.