After you start your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Arroyo Grande, CA, you will probably soon realize that there has never been a better time to pursue a career as an OTA. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics is expecting jobs in this industry to expand by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this equates to over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is that the average Occupational Therapy Assistant income is greater than $53,000 yearly making it one of the best paying medical careers that does not call for a University Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Arroyo Grande, CA
The initial step towards a career as an OTA is choosing the best Occupational Therapy Training Program. There are at this time almost 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the United States and Puerto Rico and nearly all the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you dive in to select a training program, it is important to analyze all of the options to make sure you choose an Occupational Therapy training program that matches all your preferences.
Items You Should Consider When Selecting an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is important because you can be reassured that you are going to be taught the full variety of skills necessary to be a qualified OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants assist patients on an array of health conditions and disorders therefore it is important that your training is very diverse and not too concentrated on a particular discipline.
Another really important feature you must consider is the clinical learning experience. This is the hands-on training, and this is when you actually interact with real patients and put your skills to use. Some schools designate considerably more time on your actual clinical training in comparison to other schools. In instances where your training program is not investing large amounts of time with clinical instructing, be sure that you ask why.
Another thing to think about is the class size. The size of the classes may vary considerably from college to college. Make sure to find out the class sizes at all the schools you are researching. Bear in mind, the smaller the class size , the more one-on-one time that you receive with your trainers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online might not work for each individual student. Yet, for many people online classes can relieve a few of the burdens of being a full time student. Jobs and family members are frequently pushed aside while students undertake their training and online classes may offer a little flexibility to a busy schedule.
The last thing you want to examine before selecting an Occupational Therapy School is the success rate of the schools you are evaluating. Always find out how many students complete the program, what their opinions were, and just how many of them have gone on to become OTA’s.
Featured Occupational Therapy Schools in Arroyo Grande, CA
- Does psychology interest you? See if Grand Canyon University could be a good fit for your journey in discovering the human mind!
- GCU offers a Bachelor of Science in Psychology and a Master of Science in Psychology with an emphasis in either General Psychology or Industrial & Organizational Psychology.
- The College of Humanities and Social Sciences at GCU provides a job focused education, blending the study of traditional humanities in a modern context.
- GCU offers a variety of learning options, including: traditional degree programs offered at our main campus, online degrees, or evening classes meeting once a week at various locations.
- Founded in 1949, GCU is a regionally accredited, private Christian university and is recognized as offering some of the best online education programs in the nation.
- Request information and learn more about our program offerings, start dates, financial aid and more!
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Prevention
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- And more...
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
The Chicago School is a not-for-profit, regionally accredited institution with more than 4285 students at campuses across the country and online. TCSPP has been an innovator in the field of psychology and related behavioral science for more than 30 years.
- M.A. Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
Back to School Scholarship Available to All New Students Until October 22nd.
Since 1996, Southern California Health Institute has been dedicated and committed to helping students achieve their dreams by providing an exceptional education that enables them to become skilled and successful manual therapists. We have graduated over 1,500 students who are now a part of a larger community of wellness and healthcare.
- Physical Therapy Aide/Sports Rehab Program
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Master of Science) - Online
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Certificate) - Online
- Sports Counseling (Certificate) - Online
At NHI you will receive hands-on training through our teaching clinic from dedicated instructors with a combined 530 years of experience as well as classroom instruction and business marketing classes. We offer daytime, evening and weekend classes to accommodate your busy schedule. It is our goal to see you learn and embrace the material and go on to have a successful career you love. Financial aid is available to those who qualify. So why wait?
- Massage Therapy/Therapist
- Respiratory Therapy
The Secret to Getting Ahead is Getting Started
Congratulations! Your interest in California College San Diego is an important first step toward changing your life. A career-focused degree is the key to a new career with a potentially higher income, better benefits, and more satisfaction.
- Respiratory Therapy (AS)
What to Expect in OTA School
In most cases the course work is about 2 years, with the first year consisting of mainly class-room teaching and with the second year spent going through hands on learning in a healthcare facility or private care office. Some of the course work a student will have to take includes pediatrics, gerontology, clinical terms, and physical rehab. All States that require licensure just want a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree shall be necessary if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but the truth is you will find that the majority of Occupational Therapist launched their careers as Assistants and received their Bachelor’s Degrees several years later.
Licensing Information and Facts
Following graduation, those wanting to get started with their careers have to become licensed as an OTA. Every State has its own guidelines and specifications that will be governed by an occupational therapy board, with many being private and several run by the State exclusively. In California, licensing is administrated by the California Board of Occupational Therapy. Although each State is different, there are a number of requirements which happen to be common among the majority of them and include the following.
Someone trying to get an occupational therapy assistant certificate must be a U.S. citizen, must have a social security number and needs to have taken and passed applicable college course work and also taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Every State requires a federal background check , however convictions are not necessarily immediate grounds for dismissal. A handful of States may consider processing an occupational therapist license as long as a written affidavit is submitted to clarify the circumstances of the conviction. Additional circumstances including time frame and nature of the offense may be assessed and be considered to approve licensure .
Every State will have an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensure kit that is going to contain numerous forms to submit. You should not purchase these forms from a third party because they can be accessed online from many trustworthy web sites. It is important to take a very comprehensive look through the forms before trying to complete them. There will be official transcripts necessary; notarized signatures and several States will want you to complete a fingerprint card that can be completed at a local police station.
Work Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA works with a range of patients who have needs that will be completely different than from the previous patient. You might be working for an outpatient facility with toddlers that happen to have food or texture aversions or a hospital rehabilitation facility working with a middle age woman with psychological and mental struggles . Though an occupational therapy assistant possesses many job skills, some of the basics such as following direction, keeping up to date with the freshest techniques and learning and using the available technologies are extremely important. Finally, a COTA should also be relatively physically fit, since you will have numerous instances of moving patients around, for example from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like the career for you, then take a few minutes and visit the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of training programs near Arroyo Grande, CA that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant classes. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Arroyo Grande, CA reviewed by Christopher LEWIS on June 14.
Terrific Source of Info
Thank You for creating such an informative website. I was able to get a lot of info about the OTA schools in my area and chose one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my training and can’t wait to become an OTA.