As you begin your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Arvin, CA, you are going to quickly see that there has never been a better time for you to pursue a career as an Occupational Therapy Assistant. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics anticipates jobs within this industry to grow by 43% over the 10 year period 2010-2020, this equates to over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is that the average Occupational Therapy Assistant salary is greater than $53,000 per year making it amongst the best paying medical vocations that does not require a Four Year Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Arvin, CA
The initial step towards a career as an OTA is selecting the best Occupational Therapy Program. There are at this time just about two hundred accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and almost all of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you dive in to select a training program, you will need to think about all of your alternatives and make sure you locate an Occupational Therapy school that fits all your requirements.
Items You Must Consider When Selecting an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is important because you can be assured that you will be taught the full variety of competencies required to be a qualified OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on an array of health conditions and disorders making it essential that your training is very wide-ranging rather then too focused on a particular area of specialization.
Another really important component to take under consideration is the clinical education experience. This is your hands-on training, and this is when you will interact with real patients and put your abilities to use. Some schools commit significantly more time on your actual clinical experience as compared to other training programs. In instances where your school is not devoting a considerable amount of time with clinical instructing, make sure to ask why.
Another thing to consider is the class sizes. The size of the classes will vary greatly from college to college. Make sure that you find out the class sizes at all the schools you are looking at. Keep in mind, the smaller the classes , the more one-on-one instruction you will get with the trainers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online may not work for every student. Yet, for many of us online training can ease some of the burdens of being a full time student. Work and loved ones will often be pushed aside as students continue their education and online classes can offer some flexibility to a busy life.
The final item that you have to examine before selecting an Occupational Therapy School is the rate of the training programs you are evaluating. Make sure that you find out how many trainees complete the program, what their observations were, and how many of them have gone to careers as OTA’s.
Featured Occupational Therapy Schools in Arvin, CA
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 95% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Does the Human Mind Fascinate You? Study Psychology! Choose Your Degree:
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology
- Master of Science in Psychology with an Emphasis in General Psychology
- Master of Science in Psychology with an Emphasis in Industrial and Organizational Psychology
- Convenient online program options available for the master's and bachelor's degree.
- Speak to an enrollment counselor today and find the degree that is right for you!
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Trauma
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Prevention
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Marriage and Family Therapy
- And more...
Back to School Scholarship Available to All New Students Until October 22nd.
Since 1996, Southern California Health Institute has been dedicated and committed to helping students achieve their dreams by providing an exceptional education that enables them to become skilled and successful manual therapists. We have graduated over 1,500 students who are now a part of a larger community of wellness and healthcare.
- Physical Therapy Aide/Sports Rehab Program
We keep education relevant by employing instructors with real-world experience in the field, who bring their career backgrounds to the classroom. Our programs are continually assessed by faculty, staff and members of the business and education communities to help ensure your studies align with your career goals. Programs offered by Brightwood College focus on local employment needs, in areas such as allied health, nursing and technical and professional programs.
- Therapy Health Technician
- Bachelor of Arts in Substance Abuse Counseling
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Master of Science) - Online
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Certificate) - Online
- Sports Counseling (Certificate) - Online
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
The Chicago School is a not-for-profit, regionally accredited institution with more than 4285 students at campuses across the country and online. TCSPP has been an innovator in the field of psychology and related behavioral science for more than 30 years.
- M.A. Clinical Psychology, Marital and Family Therapy Specialization
- Psy.D. Clinical Psychology
- Psy.D. Applied Clinical Psychology
What to Expect in OTA School
In most cases the course work is roughly 24 months, with the first year being predominantly class-room training and with the second year spent doing hands on learning in a medical center or private medical office. Some of the course work a student will need to take involves pediatrics, gerontology, medical terms, and physical rehabilitation. All States that require licensure only call for a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree will be required if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but you will find that almost all Occupational Therapist began their careers as Assistants and achieved their Bachelor’s Degrees a few years later.
Licensing Information and Facts
Following graduation, those wanting to begin their careers will need to become licensed as an occupational therapist assistant. Each State has its own policies and specifications that will be governed by an occupational therapy board, with a few being private while others are run by the State exclusively. In California, licensing is controlled by the California Board of Occupational Therapy. Though each State is unique, there are a number of requirements which happen to be common among the majority of them and include the following.
Any person applying for an occupational therapy assistant license will have to be a U.S. citizen, will need to have a social security number and is required to have taken and completed appropriate college course work as well as taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Each State requires a federal background check , although convictions are not always automatic grounds for dismissal. A handful of States may consider processing an occupational therapist license in a case where a written affidavit is filed to explain the circumstances of the conviction. Additional circumstances including time and nature of the offense may be reviewed and be taken into consideration to grant licensure .
Every State will provide an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensure kit that will contain numerous forms to fill out. Do not pay for these forms from a third party as they can be found online from many trustworthy web sites. It is important to take a very thorough look through the paper work before attempting to complete them. It will have official transcripts necessary; notarized signatures and several States will need you to turn in a fingerprint card that can be completed at a local police station.
Work Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA works with a variety of patients who may have needs that may be totally different than from the previous patient. You may be employed in an outpatient clinic with toddlers that happen to have food or texture aversions or a hospital rehabilitation facility working with a middle age man with emotional struggles . Though an occupational therapy assistant possesses a large number of job skills, a couple of the basics such as following direction, keeping up to date with the most updated techniques and implementing and applying the available technology are the most important. Finally, a COTA should be somewhat physically fit, as there will be numerous instances of moving patients around, including from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like the career for you, then take a few minutes to fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near Arvin, CA that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant training. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Arvin, CA reviewed by Hunter PHILLIPS on June 4.
Thank You for sharing such an informative website. I was able to get more info about the various schools in my area and chose one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my classes and can’t wait to work as an Occupational Therapy Assistant.