As you start your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Ashwaubenon, WI, you can expect to quickly find that there has never been a better time for you to pursue a career as an Occupational Therapy Assistant. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics is expecting jobs in this industry to increase by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this is over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is the fact that the median Occupational Therapy Assistant wage is over $53,000 annually making it amongst the best paying healthcare occupations that does not require a Bachelor’s Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Ashwaubenon, WI
The first step toward a career as an OTA is finding the best Occupational Therapy Program. There are at this time almost 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and most of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you dive in to decide on a training program, it is important to think about all of your alternatives and make sure you find an Occupational Therapy training program that suits all your preferences.
Details You Must Consider When Selecting an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is essential because you will be reassured that you will be taught the full variety of competencies needed to be an effective OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on a wide variety of conditions and disorders making it very important that your schooling is very wide-ranging rather then too concentrated on one particular area of specialization.
Another very important feature you must consider is the clinical teaching experience. This is the practical training, it is where you are able to interact with real patients and put your skills to use. Some schools commit considerably more time on your actual laboratory training in comparison to other training programs. In situations where your school is not devoting a large amount of time with clinical training, make sure that you find out why.
Something else to consider is the class size. The size of the classes may vary greatly from school to school. Make an effort to find out the class sizes at all the schools you are researching. Remember, the smaller the class size , the more one-on-one teaching you will get with the teachers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online might not work for each individual student. Yet, for some people online training courses can ease some of the burdens of being a full time student. Work and family are oftentimes driven aside as students pursue their training and online classes may offer a little flexibility to a busy life.
The final detail that you have to look into before choosing an Occupational Therapy School is the rate of the schools you are looking at. Make sure that you find out how many students complete the program, what their comments were, and just how many of them have gone to careers as OTA’s.
Featured Occupational Therapy Schools in Ashwaubenon, WI
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 95% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Want to explore human action and interaction? A psychology degree from GCU may be for you!
- Bachelor's and master's degrees offered conveniently online and on campus to fit your needs.
- Choose from a variety of program focuses at the bachelor's or master's level.
- Examine how personality and cognitive thinking is formed, developed and influenced.
- Science-based core curriculum that guides your knowledge of human behavior.
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Trauma
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Prevention
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Marriage and Family Therapy
- And more...
- Bachelor of Arts in Substance Abuse Counseling
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Master of Science) - Online
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Certificate) - Online
- Sports Counseling (Certificate) - Online
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
What to Expect in OTA School
Typically the course work is about 24 months, with the first year consisting of mostly classroom instruction and with the second year spent working on hands on training in a healthcare facility or private medical practice. Some of the course work a student will need to take includes pediatrics, gerontology, health care terminology, and physical rehab. All States that require licensure just require a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree shall be necessary if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but you will find that most Occupational Therapist began their careers as Assistants and earned their Bachelor’s Degrees a few years later.
Licensing Information and Facts
Following graduation, those wanting to start their careers have to become certified as an occupational therapist assistant. Each State has its own guidelines and regulations that will be governed by an occupational therapy board, with many being private and several run by the State exclusively. In Wisconsin, licensing is handled by the Bureau of Health Professions Department of Regulation and Licensing. Though every State is different, there are a number of requirements that happen to be common among many of them and include the following.
An individual applying for an occupational therapy assistant license must be a U.S. citizen, must have a social security number and needs to have taken and passed appropriate college course work as well as taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Each State requires a federal background check , although convictions are not necessarily immediate grounds for dismissal. Several States may consider processing an occupational therapy license in a case where a written affidavit is filed to clarify the circumstances of the conviction. Additional circumstances including time frame and nature of the offense may be assessed and be taken into consideration to approve licensure .
Every State will provide an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensing package that is going to include numerous forms to submit. Do not spend money on these forms from a third party since they can be found online from many trusted websites. It is important to take a very comprehensive look through the forms before trying to complete them. There will be official transcripts needed; notarized signatures and several States will require you to turn in a fingerprint card which can be completed at a local police station.
Job Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA will work with a range of patients that have needs that will be different in comparison to the previous patient. You might be working in an outpatient facility with infants who have food or texture aversions or maybe a hospital treatment facility working with a middle age man with emotional struggles . Although an occupational therapy assistant possesses a variety of job skills, a couple of the basics including following direction, keeping up to date with the most updated techniques and implementing and employing the available technology are extremely important. Finally, a COTA must also be reasonably physically fit, because you will have several instances of shifting patients around, including from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like the career for you, then take a few minutes and visit the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of training programs near Ashwaubenon, WI that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant classes. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Ashwaubenon, WI reviewed by Emma HAMILTON on June 17.
Terrific Source of Info
Thank You for sharing such an informative website. I was able to get more info about the OTA schools in my area and chose one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my training and can’t wait to become an OTA.