When you begin your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Atlantic Beach, FL, you will quickly learn that there has never been a better time to go after a career as an OTA. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics expects jobs in this industry to grow by 43% over the 10 year period 2010-2020, this equates to over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The better news is the fact that the average Occupational Therapy Assistant salary is over $53,000 per year making it right there with the highest paying medical-related vocations that does not call for a Four Year Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Atlantic Beach, FL
The first step toward a career as an OTA is selecting the right Occupational Therapy Training Program. There are at the moment almost two hundred accredited occupational therapy schools in the United States and Puerto Rico and nearly all the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you jump in and decide on a training program, it is important to analyze all of your options and make sure you choose an Occupational Therapy school that matches all your requirements.
Things You Must Consider When Choosing an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is essential because you can be reassured that you are going to learn about the full variety of competencies needed to be a competent OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on a wide variety of health concerns and disorders therefore it is important that your schooling is very diversified and not too focused on one particular discipline.
Another important variable you should consider is the clinical training experience. This is your hands-on training, and this is when you actually interact with actual patients and put your abilities to use. Some schools commit substantially more time on your actual laboratory experience compared to other schools. In cases where your school is not spending a considerable amount of time with clinical training, make sure to ask why.
Another thing to look into is the class size. The size of your class will vary considerably from school to school. Make sure you find out the class sizes at the schools you are researching. Try to remember, the smaller the class size , the more one-on-one instruction that you receive with the instructors.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online might not work for every student. However, for many of us online courses can alleviate a few of the burdens of being a full time student. Jobs and household tend to be driven aside as students undertake their education and learning and online classes may offer some flexibility to a busy life.
The last factor you might like to look into before selecting an Occupational Therapy School is the rate of the colleges you are considering. Always find out how many students graduate from the program, what their observations were, and how many of them have gone on to become Occupational Therapists.
Suggested Occupational Therapy Schools in Atlantic Beach, FL
- Fortis offers nursing programs including ADN, PN, BSN degrees, and more
- 40+ schools in 15 states including Florida, Arizona, Ohio, and Virginia
- All colleges are accredited by ABHES, ACCSC, ACICS, or other accrediting bodies
- Fortis Online serves benefits to US military service members
- Grants & scholarship aid may be available for qualifying students
- Associate of Occupational Science Degree in Management
Since 1977, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career-focused education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.
- Associate of Science in Occupational Therapy Assistant
- Master of Science in Occupational Therapy - Bridge Program
- Associate of Science in Physical Therapist Assistant
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Prevention
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- And more...
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Ranked among the Best Online Bachelor’s Programs by U.S. News and World Report in 2015.
- Ranked among the Best Online MBA Programs by U.S. News and World Report in 2015.
- Founded in 1890, it has a campus in Waterbury, CT and offers online degree program in eight-week modules, six times a year.
- About 800 students are enrolled at the main campus, and about half of them commute.
- Online courses make it possible for students to earn a bachelor’s degree in as little as 18 months and a master’s degree in 14-24 months.
- B.S. in Human Services / Counseling
- Graduate Certificate in Alcohol & Drug Counseling
- Graduate Certificate in Professional Counseling
- And more...
- A.S. - A.H. - Mental Health Technology
WELCOME TO KAPLAN UNIVERSITY
Online Education That Fits Your Life
For 80 years, we’ve been preparing students for career success. We’ve led the wayso that our students can too.
Globally Renowned Purdue to Acquire Kaplan University
Purdue University, one of the nation's most respected universities, will acquire Kaplan University and create a new, nonprofit, public institution within the Purdue system. Pending regulatory approvals, this exciting transition is expected to take place later this year. This change will be seamless—during the transition, you will still be able to enroll at Kaplan University, earn a high-quality education, and meet your educational and career goals.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
- Bachelor of Arts in Substance Abuse Counseling
What to Expect in OTA School
In most cases the course work is about 24 months, with the first year consisting of predominantly classroom teaching and with the second year spent carrying out hands on learning in a medical facility or private care office. Some of the course work a student will be required to take involves pediatrics, gerontology, health care jargon, and physical rehabilitation. All States that require licensure just call for a two year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree will be necessary if you intend on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but the truth is you will find that almost all Occupational Therapist started their careers as Assistants and earned their Bachelor’s Degrees several years later.
Following graduation, those wanting to get started with their careers have to become licensed as an OTA. Each State has its own rules and specifications which are governed by an occupational therapy board, with some being private and several run by the State exclusively. In Florida, licensing is handled by the Florida Board of Occupational Therapy Practice. Even though each State is different, there are a number of requirements which happen to be common among the majority of them and can include the following.
Someone attempting to get an occupational therapy assistant license has to be a U.S. citizen, must have a social security number and must have taken and completed applicable college course work and also taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Every State requires a federal background check , although convictions are not necessarily immediate grounds for dismissal. Some States may consider approving an occupational therapist license as long as a written affidavit is turned in to describe the circumstances of the conviction. Additional circumstances including time frame and nature of the criminal offense may be evaluated and be taken into consideration to approve licensure .
Every State will provide an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensing packet that will include many forms to submit. Never purchase these forms from a third party because they can be accessed online from many legitimate websites. It is advised to take a very detailed look through the paper work before trying to complete them. You might have official transcripts required; notarized signatures and several States will ask you to turn in a fingerprint card which may be completed at a local police station.
Workplace for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA will work with a variety of patients which have needs which may be totally different the previous patient. You could be employed in an outpatient facility with toddlers who may have food or texture aversions or perhaps a hospital rehabilitation center working with a middle age man with psychological and mental struggles . Even though an occupational therapy assistant possesses a variety of job skills, a couple of the basics like following direction, keeping up to date with the most current techniques and learning and applying the available technologies are extremely important. Finally, a COTA should be reasonably physically fit, because there will be plenty of instances of moving patients around, including from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes and fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of training programs near Atlantic Beach, FL that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant training. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Atlantic Beach, FL reviewed by Kennedy RUIZ on June 1.
Terrific Source of Info
Thank You for creating such an informative website. I was able to find more info about the OTA schools in my area and found one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my training and can’t wait to work as an Occupational Therapy Assistant.