Once you begin your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Auburn, CA, you should quickly see that there has never been a better time to go after a career as an OTA. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics expects jobs in this particular industry to increase by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this equals over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The better news is the fact that the average Occupational Therapy Assistant earnings is over $53,000 yearly making it one of the best paying health care occupations that does not require a Four Year Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Auburn, CA
The first step toward a career as an OTA is finding the best Occupational Therapy Program. There are currently just about two hundred accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and most of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you decide to jump in and decide on a training program, you might want to think about all of the options to make sure you choose an Occupational Therapy school that matches all your requirements.
Items You Should Consider When Choosing an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is recommended because you will be certain that you will learn about the full variety of skills needed to be a competent OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants assist patients on a wide variety of ailments and disorders so it is really important that your schooling is very wide-ranging and not too concentrated on one particular area of specialization.
Another significant component you should think about is the clinical education experience. This is the hands-on training, and this is when you will interact with real patients and put your skills to use. Some schools commit significantly more time on your actual clinical training in comparison to other training programs. In situations where your training program is not devoting large amounts of time with clinical instructing, be sure that you ask why.
Another thing to think about is the class size. The size of the classes can vary greatly from college to college. Be sure to find out the class sizes at all the schools you are considering. Remember, the smaller the class size , the more one-on-one instruction you will get with your instructors.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online do not work for each individual student. Yet, for many of us online courses can ease several of the burdens of being a full time student. Work and loved ones can be driven aside while students carry on their schooling and online classes can offer some flexibility to a busy life.
The final thing that you have to look into before choosing an Occupational Therapy School is the graduation rate of the training programs you are evaluating. Make sure you find out how many trainees complete the program, what their evaluations were, and exactly how many of them have gone to become Occupational Therapy Assistants.
Featured Occupational Therapy Schools in Auburn, CA
- Want to explore human action and interaction? A psychology degree from GCU may be for you!
- Bachelor's and master's degrees offered conveniently online and on campus to fit your needs.
- Choose from a variety of program focuses at the bachelor's or master's level.
- Examine how personality and cognitive thinking is formed, developed and influenced.
- Science-based core curriculum that guides your knowledge of human behavior.
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Family Dynamics
- And more...
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 95% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
Back to School Scholarship Available to All New Students Until October 22nd.
Since 1996, Southern California Health Institute has been dedicated and committed to helping students achieve their dreams by providing an exceptional education that enables them to become skilled and successful manual therapists. We have graduated over 1,500 students who are now a part of a larger community of wellness and healthcare.
- Physical Therapy Aide/Sports Rehab Program
Building on Purdue's mission to provide greater access to affordable, world-class education, Purdue University Globaldelivers a fully personalized online experience that's tailored to working adults. By opening the doors to adults who need flexibility to fit learning into their busy lives, we make it possible to achieve a high-quality education from a prestigious university system—completely online.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
- Bachelor of Arts in Substance Abuse Counseling
What to Expect in OTA School
Generally the course work is approximately 2 years, with the first year consisting of mainly class-room teaching and with the second year spent doing hands on learning in a medical facility or private medical practice. Some of the course work a student will be required to take involves pediatrics, gerontology, health care jargon, and physical rehab. All States that require licensure just call for a two year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree is going to be required if you intend on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, however you will find that almost all Occupational Therapist began their careers as Assistants and obtained their Bachelor’s Degrees several years later.
Following graduation, those ready to start their careers will have to become licensed as an OTA. Every State has its own policies and specifications that are governed by an occupational therapy board, with a few being private while others are run by the State exclusively. In California, licensing is controlled by the California Board of Occupational Therapy. While every State is unique, there are a number of requirements that happen to be common among many of them and include the following.
Someone applying for an occupational therapy assistant certificate will have to be a U.S. citizen, must have a social security number and is required to have taken and passed applicable college course work in addition to having taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Each State requires a federal background check , however convictions are not always immediate grounds for dismissal. Certain States may consider approving an occupational therapy license if a written affidavit is filed to describe the circumstances of the conviction. Additional circumstances including time period and nature of the criminal offense may be evaluated and be taken into consideration to grant licensure .
Each State will provide an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensure package that is going to include a number of forms to complete. Do not spend money on these forms from a third party as they can be accessed online from many trustworthy web sites. It is important to take a very in depth look through the paper work before attempting to complete them. There will be official transcripts needed; notarized signatures and several States will need you to submit a fingerprint card which may be completed at a local police station.
Job Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA works with a range of patients that have needs that will be completely different the previous patient. You may be employed in an outpatient facility with children who may have food or texture aversions or a hospital treatment facility working with a middle age man with psychological and mental struggles . Though an occupational therapy assistant has a variety of job skills, a few of the basics including following direction, keeping up to date with the most recent techniques and implementing and using the available technologies are extremely important. Finally, a COTA must also be reasonably physically fit, because you will have many instances of moving patients around, including from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like the career for you, then take a few minutes to visit the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near Auburn, CA that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant training. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Auburn, CA reviewed by Aaron STEWART on June 17.
Thank You for creating such an informative website. I was able to get more info about the various schools in my area and found one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my training and can’t wait to work as an Occupational Therapist.