When you start your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Auburndale, FL, you will soon find that there has never been a better time to pursue a career as an Occupational Therapy Assistant. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics is expecting jobs in this field to increase by 43% over the 10 year period 2010-2020, this equals over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is the fact that the average Occupational Therapy Assistant wage is greater than $53,000 annually which makes it one of the best paying health care jobs that does not call for a Bachelor’s Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Auburndale, FL
The initial step towards a career as an OTA is choosing the right Occupational Therapy Program. There are presently approximately two hundred accredited occupational therapy schools in the United States and Puerto Rico and almost all of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you dive in to pick a school, it is important to consider all of the options to make certain you find an Occupational Therapy school that fulfills all your needs.
Items You Must Consider When Deciding On an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is important because you can be reassured that you are going to learn about the full variety of skills needed to be a competent OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on an array of conditions and disorders making it really important that your course work is very diversified and not too dedicated to a particular discipline.
Another important factor you must consider is the clinical learning experience. This is the hands-on training, and this is when you are going to interact with actual patients and put your abilities to use. Some schools apply significantly more time on your actual practical experience in comparison to other schools. In situations where your school is not spending a large amount of time with clinical training, be sure that you ask why.
Something else to look into is the class size. The size of your class may vary significantly from school to school. Be sure to find out the class sizes at the schools you are considering. Bear in mind, the smaller the class size , the more one-on-one time you will get with the teachers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online do not work for every student. Yet, for some people online training can alleviate some of the burdens of being a full time student. Job and loved ones are often pushed aside while students continue their education and online classes can provide some flexibility to a busy schedule.
The last thing you need to check out prior to selecting an Occupational Therapy School is the graduation rate of the schools you are considering. Make sure you find out how many people complete the program, what their comments were, and how many of them have gone to careers as OTA’s.
Featured Occupational Therapy Schools in Auburndale, FL
- Gain Knowledge and Skills While You Earn Your Nursing Degree at Fortis!
- Associate of Occupational Science Degree in Management
Since 1977, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career-focused education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.
- Associate of Science in Occupational Therapy Assistant
- Associate of Science in Physical Therapist Assistant
- Why Earn Your Degree from GCU?
- Options: Choose from a variety of undergraduate and graduate degree programs in Business, Nursing, Psychology, Education & more!
- Convenience: Complete courses online, on campus, or a combination of both!
- Earlier Graduation: Our 4-credit courses allow you to complete your degree program in less time.
- Transfer Friendly: We will request your transcripts, evaluate your graduate coursework, and determine your anticipated graduation date within 24 hours.
- Quality: Grand Canyon University was founded in 1949 and is regionally accredited. Learn more today!
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Prevention
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- And more...
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Designated a 2015 Military Friendly School by Victory Media for the 4th consecutive year.
- Listed on the President’s Higher Education Community Service Honor Roll in 2013, for the sixth consecutive year
- Links students to hundreds of training opportunities (beyond their traditional internships and practicum) at their many “partner agencies” in each of their local communities.
- Accredited by the WASC Senior College and University Commission (WUSCUC).
- M.A. Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- Mental Health Technology
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
WELCOME TO KAPLAN UNIVERSITY
Online Education That Fits Your Life
For 80 years, we’ve been preparing students for career success. We’ve led the wayso that our students can too.
Globally Renowned Purdue to Acquire Kaplan University
Purdue University, one of the nation's most respected universities, will acquire Kaplan University and create a new, nonprofit, public institution within the Purdue system. Pending regulatory approvals, this exciting transition is expected to take place later this year. This change will be seamless—during the transition, you will still be able to enroll at Kaplan University, earn a high-quality education, and meet your educational and career goals.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Master of Science) - Online
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Certificate) - Online
- Sports Counseling (Certificate) - Online
What to Expect in OTA School
Typically the course work is roughly 24 months, with the first year consisting of mainly classroom training and with the second year spent doing hands on lessons in a healthcare facility or private care practice. Some of the course work a student will need to take includes pediatrics, gerontology, healthcare terminology, and physical rehabilitation. All States that require licensure just want a two year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree is needed if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but you will find that the majority of Occupational Therapist started their careers as Assistants and obtained their Bachelor’s Degrees some time later.
Licensing Information and Facts
Following graduation, those wanting to get started with their careers will need to become licensed as an OTA. Every State has its own rules and specifications that will be governed by an occupational therapy board, with some being private and some run by the State exclusively. In Florida, licensing is handled by the Florida Board of Occupational Therapy Practice. Though every State is unique, there are a number of requirements which are common among most of them and include the following.
Someone trying to get an occupational therapy assistant certificate must be a U.S. citizen, will need to have a social security number and is required to have taken and completed acceptable college course work in addition to having taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Every State requires a federal background check , but convictions are not necessarily automatic grounds for dismissal. A handful of States may consider approving an occupational therapist license in a case where a written affidavit is turned in to clarify the circumstances of the conviction. Additional factors including time and nature of the crime may be examined and be considered to approve licensure .
Every State will have an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensure packet that is going to include quite a few forms to submit. Do not buy these forms from a third party since they can be accessed online from many reputable websites. It is advised to take a very in depth look through the forms before trying to complete them. There may be official transcripts necessary; notarized signatures and several States will need you to include a fingerprint card that can be completed at a local police station.
Job Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA works with an assortment of patients who may have needs that may be completely different compared to the previous patient. You could be working in an outpatient facility with children that have food or texture aversions or perhaps a hospital rehabilitation facility working with a middle age patient with psychological struggles . Even though an occupational therapy assistant possesses a large number of job skills, some of the basics such as following direction, keeping up to date with the most updated techniques and learning and applying the available technologies are the most important. Finally, a COTA must also be relatively physically fit, because there will be numerous instances of shifting patients around, such as from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes to fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near Auburndale, FL that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant classes. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Auburndale, FL reviewed by Kimberly OLSON on June 11.
Very Helpful Site
Thank You for creating such an informative website. I was able to find a lot of info about the OTA schools in my area and found one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my classes and can’t wait to become an Occupational Therapist.