As you start your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Avenal, CA, you will soon learn that there has never been a better time to undertake a career as an Occupational Therapy Assistant. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics expects jobs within this field to expand by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this equals over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is the fact that the average Occupational Therapy Assistant wage is over $53,000 annually which makes it right there with the highest paying healthcare careers that does not call for a Four Year Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Avenal, CA
The first step toward a career as an OTA is selecting the best Occupational Therapy Program. There are presently just about two hundred accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and nearly all the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you decide to jump in to select a training program, it is important to evaluate all of the options and make certain you find an Occupational Therapy school that fits all your requirements.
Items You Should Consider When Choosing an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is recommended because you can be reassured that you will be taught the full range of skills required to be a qualified OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on a wide variety of ailments and disorders making it really important that your schooling is very diverse rather then too concentrated on one particular discipline.
Another important component you should consider is the clinical teaching experience. This is the practical training, and this is when you will interact with actual patients and put your knowledge to use. Some schools designate significantly more time on your actual practical experience when compared to the others. In cases where your training program is not spending a large amount of time with clinical training, make sure to ask why.
Something else to consider is the class sizes. The size of your class can vary greatly from school to school. Be sure to find out the class sizes at all the schools you are considering. Keep in mind, the smaller the classes , the more one-on-one teaching that you receive with your trainers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online do not work for every student. However, for many people online training can relieve several of the burdens of being a full time student. Jobs and loved ones are sometimes driven aside as students continue their schooling and online classes may offer some flexibility to a busy life.
The final issue you ought to check out before selecting an Occupational Therapy School is the success rate of the colleges you are looking at. Always find out how many students complete the program, what their observations were, and just how many of them have gone on to careers as OTA’s.
Suggested Occupational Therapy Schools in Avenal, CA
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 95% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Does the Human Mind Fascinate You? Study Psychology! Choose Your Degree:
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology
- Master of Science in Psychology with an Emphasis in General Psychology
- Master of Science in Psychology with an Emphasis in Industrial and Organizational Psychology
- Convenient online program options available for the master's and bachelor's degree.
- Speak to an enrollment counselor today and find the degree that is right for you!
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Trauma
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Prevention
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Marriage and Family Therapy
- And more...
Back to School Scholarship Available to All New Students Until October 22nd.
Since 1996, Southern California Health Institute has been dedicated and committed to helping students achieve their dreams by providing an exceptional education that enables them to become skilled and successful manual therapists. We have graduated over 1,500 students who are now a part of a larger community of wellness and healthcare.
- Physical Therapy Aide/Sports Rehab Program
- Bachelor of Arts in Substance Abuse Counseling
We keep education relevant by employing instructors with real-world experience in the field, who bring their career backgrounds to the classroom. Our programs are continually assessed by faculty, staff and members of the business and education communities to help ensure your studies align with your career goals. Programs offered by Brightwood College focus on local employment needs, in areas such as allied health, nursing and technical and professional programs.
- Therapy Health Technician
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Master of Science) - Online
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Certificate) - Online
- Sports Counseling (Certificate) - Online
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
The Chicago School is a not-for-profit, regionally accredited institution with more than 4285 students at campuses across the country and online. TCSPP has been an innovator in the field of psychology and related behavioral science for more than 30 years.
- M.A. Clinical Psychology, Marital and Family Therapy Specialization
- Psy.D. Clinical Psychology
- Psy.D. Applied Clinical Psychology
What to Expect in OTA School
Typically the course work is about 24 months, with the first year consisting of primarily classroom instruction and with the second year spent carrying out hands on training in a medical facility or private medical practice. Some of the course work a student will likely need to take includes pediatrics, gerontology, health care terminology, and physical rehabilitation. All States that require licensure only want a two year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree will be required if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but the truth is you will find that a majority of Occupational Therapist started their careers as Assistants and obtained their Bachelor’s Degrees a few years later.
Following graduation, those prepared to start their careers must become certified as an occupational therapist assistant. Each State has its own rules and regulations that will be governed by an occupational therapy board, with some being private and some run by the State exclusively. In California, licensing is controlled by the California Board of Occupational Therapy. Although every State is different, there are a number of requirements that are common among most of them and include the following.
Someone seeking an occupational therapy assistant license must be a U.S. citizen, must have a social security number and needs to have taken and completed acceptable college course work as well as taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Every State requires a federal background check , but convictions are not always automatic grounds for dismissal. Some States may consider approving an occupational therapy license as long as a written affidavit is filed to describe the circumstances of the conviction. Additional circumstances including time and nature of the transgression may be examined and be considered to approve licensure .
Every State will provide an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensure kit that will contain numerous forms to submit. You should not pay for these forms from a third party since they can be accessed online from many trusted internet sites. It is important to take a very extensive look through the forms before attempting to complete them. You might have official transcripts needed; notarized signatures and several States will want you to turn in a fingerprint card that can be completed at a local police station.
Work Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA will work with a variety of patients that have needs that may be different than from the previous patient. You might be working for an outpatient facility with children who have food or texture aversions or maybe a hospital rehabilitation facility working with a middle age man with emotional struggles . Even though an occupational therapy assistant possesses many job skills, a couple of the basics like following direction, keeping up to date with the most up to date techniques and implementing and employing the available technology are extremely important. Finally, a COTA should be relatively physically fit, since you will have many instances of moving patients around, such as from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this sounds like the career for you, then take a few minutes and visit the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of training programs near Avenal, CA that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant classes. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Avenal, CA reviewed by Dylan WRIGHT on June 6.
Thank You for creating such an informative website. I was able to find more info about the OTA schools in my area and chose one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my training and can’t wait to become an Occupational Therapist.