As you commence your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Bainbridge, GA, you can expect to soon realize that there has never been a better time for you to go after a career as an Occupational Therapy Assistant. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics is expecting jobs in this particular field to expand by 43% over the 10 year period 2010-2020, this is over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is that the median Occupational Therapy Assistant pay is greater than $53,000 yearly making it one of the highest paying medical-related jobs that does not require a Bachelor’s Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Bainbridge, GA
The first step toward a career as an OTA is choosing the best Occupational Therapy Program. There are presently nearly 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and nearly all the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you decide to dive in and pick a school, it is important to consider all of your alternatives to make certain you choose an Occupational Therapy school that meets all your requirements.
Items You Should Consider When Picking an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is important because you can be reassured you will learn about the full array of techniques required to be an effective OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on an array of conditions and disorders therefore it is essential that your schooling is very diversified rather then too focused on a particular area of specialization.
Another really important factor you should consider is the clinical teaching experience. This is the hands-on training, and this is where you will interact with real patients and put your knowledge to use. Some schools apply substantially more time on your actual laboratory training compared to other schools. In cases where your school is not devoting a large amount of time with clinical training, make sure that you find out why.
Another thing to consider is the class size. The size of may vary considerably from school to school. Make sure to find out the class sizes at the schools you are considering. Remember, the smaller the classes , the more one-on-one teaching that you receive with the instructors.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online may not work for every student. However, for some online training courses can ease several of the burdens of being a full time student. Jobs and household are sometimes pushed aside while students carry on their schooling and online classes can provide a bit of flexibility to a busy schedule.
The final factor you should consider prior to selecting an Occupational Therapy School is the success rate of the colleges you are looking at. Make sure you find out how many people finish the program, what their opinions were, and how many of them have gone to careers as OTA’s.
Suggested Occupational Therapy Schools in Bainbridge, GA
Since 1977, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career-focused education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.
- Associate of Science in Occupational Therapy Assistant
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Ranked among the Best Online Bachelor’s Programs by U.S. News and World Report in 2015.
- Ranked among the Best Online MBA Programs by U.S. News and World Report in 2015.
- Founded in 1890, it has a campus in Waterbury, CT and offers online degree program in eight-week modules, six times a year.
- About 800 students are enrolled at the main campus, and about half of them commute.
- Online courses make it possible for students to earn a bachelor’s degree in as little as 18 months and a master’s degree in 14-24 months.
- B.S. in Human Services / Counseling
- Graduate Certificate in Alcohol & Drug Counseling
- Graduate Certificate in Professional Counseling
- And more...
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- M.S. in Professional Counseling with an Emphasis in Childhood and Adolescence Disorders
- M.S. in Christian Counseling
- M.S. in Professional Counseling with an Emphasis in Marriage and Family Therapy
- And more...
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Bachelor of Arts in Substance Abuse Counseling
- View Associates, Bachelors or Graduate Degree Programs in Psychology Near YOU!
- Enter YOUR Needs and Requirements. Get Matched to the Perfect Campus or Online Degree Programs for You.
- Free information for Psychology, Counseling Psychology Degree Programs and MORE.
- Accredited, Flexible Psychology Degree Programs to Fit Your Time and Budget. Use our Matching Service - It's Easy and FREE!
What to Expect in OTA School
Generally the course work is about 2 years, with the first year being predominantly classroom teaching and with the second year spent working on hands on learning in a medical facility or private care office. Some of the course work a student will likely need to take involves pediatrics, gerontology, clinical terminology, and physical rehabilitation. All States that require licensure simply call for a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree will be necessary if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but the truth is you will find that a majority of Occupational Therapist began their careers as Assistants and achieved their Bachelor’s Degrees some time later.
Following graduation, those prepared to get started with their careers must become licensed as an occupational therapist assistant. Every State has its own rules and specifications which are governed by an occupational therapy board, with many being private and some run by the State exclusively. In Georgia, licensing is handled by the Georgia State Board of Occupational Therapy. Even though every State is unique, there are a number of requirements that happen to be common among many of them and can include the following.
Any person trying to get an occupational therapy assistant license has to be a U.S. citizen, will need to have a social security number and is required to have taken and passed acceptable college course work and also taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Every State requires a federal background check , however convictions are not necessarily immediate grounds for dismissal. Some States may consider approving an occupational therapist license in a case where a written affidavit is filed to clarify the circumstances of the conviction. Additional factors including time frame and nature of the transgression may be assessed and be considered to grant licensure .
Every State will provide an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensure packet which will contain many forms to submit. Do not pay for these forms from a third party as they can be found online from many reputable websites. It is recommended to take a very detailed look through the paper work before trying to complete them. It will have official transcripts required; notarized signatures and several States will require you to include a fingerprint card which may be completed at a local police station.
Job Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA will work with an assortment of patients which have needs which are often completely different compared to the previous patient. You may be employed in an outpatient clinic with kids who have food or texture aversions or a hospital rehab facility working with a middle age patient with psychological struggles . Although an occupational therapy assistant possesses numerous job skills, a couple of the basics including following direction, keeping up to date with the most up to date techniques and implementing and employing the available technology are extremely important. Finally, a COTA also needs to be somewhat physically fit, as there will be numerous instances of shifting patients around, such as from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this sounds like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes and fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near Bainbridge, GA that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant classes. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Bainbridge, GA reviewed by Scarlett HUDSON on June 4.
Terrific Source of Info
Thank You for sharing such an informative website. I was able to find more info about the various schools in my area and found one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my training and can’t wait to work as an Occupational Therapist.