As you begin your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Bainbridge Island, WA, you will quickly learn that there has never been a better time for you to undertake a career as an Occupational Therapy Assistant. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics expects jobs within this industry to grow by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this equates to over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The better news is that the average Occupational Therapy Assistant earnings is over $53,000 annually which makes it one of the highest paying medical-related occupations that does not require a University Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Bainbridge Island, WA
The first step toward a career as an OTA is selecting the right Occupational Therapy Program. There are presently just about two hundred accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and most of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you dive in and choose a training program, you will need to consider all of your alternatives and make sure you choose an Occupational Therapy training program that matches all your preferences.
Items You Should Consider When Choosing an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is recommended because you can be reassured you will be taught the full range of competencies needed to be a certified OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants assist patients on a wide array of conditions and disorders so it is crucial that your course work is very diversified and not too dedicated to one particular area of specialization.
Another really important feature you should look at is the clinical training experience. This is your hands-on training, and this is when you actually interact with real patients and put your abilities to use. Some schools allocate significantly more time on your actual practical experience as compared to others. In cases where your school is not devoting a considerable amount of time with clinical instructing, be sure that you find out why.
Something else to consider is the class size. The size of the classes may vary significantly from college to college. Make sure that you find out the class sizes at all the schools you are considering. Bear in mind, the smaller the classes , the more one-on-one time you will get with your teachers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online do not work for each individual student. Nevertheless, for some online training courses can alleviate some of the burdens of being a full time student. Job and family members are frequently driven aside while students undertake their education and learning and online classes provide a little flexibility to a busy schedule.
The last thing that you have to evaluate prior to selecting an Occupational Therapy School is the graduation rate of the colleges you are considering. Make sure to find out how many students complete the program, what their assessments were, and just how many of them have gone on to become OTA’s.
Recommended Occupational Therapy Schools in Bainbridge Island, WA
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 95% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Does the Human Mind Fascinate You? Study Psychology! Choose Your Degree:
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology
- Master of Science in Psychology with an Emphasis in General Psychology
- Master of Science in Psychology with an Emphasis in Industrial and Organizational Psychology
- Convenient online program options available for the master's and bachelor's degree.
- Speak to an enrollment counselor today and find the degree that is right for you!
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Christian Counseling
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Childhood and Adolescence Disorders
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Trauma
- And more...
- Ranked among the Best Online Bachelor's Programs in 2015 by U.S. News and World Report.
- Lets undergrad students try classes before paying any tuition.
- Has an average class sizes of 18 for undergraduate and 13 for graduate-level courses.
- Offers numerous scholarship opportunities that can help students save up to $750 per term on their tuition.
- Tends to educate degree-seeking online and campus-based students who are adult learners with families and students who work while pursuing higher education.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
- Bachelor of Arts in Substance Abuse Counseling
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Master of Science) - Online
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Certificate) - Online
- Sports Counseling (Certificate) - Online
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
What to Expect in OTA School
Normally the course work is approximately 2 years, with the first year consisting of mostly classroom instruction and with the second year spent working on hands on lessons in a hospital facility or private medical office. Some of the course work a student will need to take involves pediatrics, gerontology, health care jargon, and physical rehab. All States that require licensure only call for a two year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree is going to be required if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but the truth is you will find that most Occupational Therapist began their careers as Assistants and earned their Bachelor’s Degrees a couple of years later.
Licensing Information and Facts
Following graduation, those ready to begin their careers have to become licensed as an OTA. Each State has its own rules and specifications which are governed by an occupational therapy board, with many being private and some run by the State exclusively. In Washington, licensing is administrated by the Washington Occupational Therapy Practice Board. Though each State is different, there are a number of requirements which are common among most of them and can include the following.
An individual applying for an occupational therapy assistant certificate is required to be a U.S. citizen, must have a social security number and is required to have taken and completed appropriate college course work in addition to having taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Each State requires a federal background check , although convictions are not necessarily immediate grounds for dismissal. A few States may consider processing an occupational therapist license in a case where a written affidavit is filed to clarify the circumstances of the conviction. Additional circumstances including time and nature of the offense may be evaluated and be considered to grant licensure .
Every State will have an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensure kit which will include numerous forms to complete. Never purchase these forms from a third party as they can be found online from many trusted sites. It is recommended to take a very in depth look through the paper work before trying to complete them. There will be official transcripts wanted; notarized signatures and several States will ask you to submit a fingerprint card that can be completed at a local police station.
Job Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA will work with an assortment of patients which have needs that will be completely different the previous patient. You may be employed in an outpatient clinic with toddlers that happen to have food or texture aversions or perhaps a hospital rehab center working with a middle age woman with psychological and mental struggles . Though an occupational therapy assistant has numerous job skills, a few of the basics such as following direction, keeping up to date with the most up to date techniques and learning and applying the available technologies are extremely important. Finally, a COTA should be somewhat physically fit, since there will be plenty of instances of shifting patients around, for example from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like the career for you, then take a few minutes and fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near Bainbridge Island, WA that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant training. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Bainbridge Island, WA reviewed by Vinnie CARPENTER on June 9.
Very Helpful Site
Thank You for creating such an informative website. I was able to get a lot of info about the various schools in my area and chose one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my training and can’t wait to become an Occupational Therapy Assistant.