Once you begin your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Baldwin, PA, you will probably soon learn that there has never been a better time for you to go after a career as an Occupational Therapy Assistant. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics expects jobs in this field to increase by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this equals over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is that the average Occupational Therapy Assistant earnings is greater than $53,000 yearly making it one of the best paying health care professions that does not require a University Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Baldwin, PA
The initial step towards a career as an OTA is choosing the right Occupational Therapy Training Program. There are at this time just about two hundred accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and most of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you dive in to pick a training program, make sure you consider all of your options and make sure you locate an Occupational Therapy school that fulfills all your needs.
Details You Must Consider When Choosing an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is recommended because you will be assured that you will be taught the full range of skills required to be a competent OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on numerous types of issues and disorders making it essential that your training is very extensive and not too concentrated on one particular area of specialization.
Another very important component you should consider is the clinical education experience. This is your hands-on training, it is where you are going to interact with actual patients and put your knowledge to use. Some schools allocate substantially more time on your actual laboratory experience as compared to others. In situations where your training program is not investing a considerable amount of time with clinical instructing, make sure that you find out why.
Another thing to think about is the class size. The size of may vary greatly from school to school. Be sure to find out the class sizes at all of schools you are researching. Try to remember, the smaller the classes , the more one-on-one instruction that you receive with your teachers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online might not work for every student. Yet, for some people online training can alleviate a few of the burdens of being a full time student. Jobs and family members will often be pushed aside while students pursue their education and learning and online classes can offer a little flexibility to a busy life.
The final factor you want to take a look at before choosing an Occupational Therapy School is the graduation rate of the schools you are considering. Always find out how many students graduate from the program, what their observations were, and exactly how many of them have gone to become Occupational Therapists.
Suggested Occupational Therapy Schools in Baldwin, PA
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Want to explore human action and interaction? A psychology degree from GCU may be for you!
- Bachelor's and master's degrees offered conveniently online and on campus to fit your needs.
- Choose from a variety of program focuses at the bachelor's or master's level.
- Examine how personality and cognitive thinking is formed, developed and influenced.
- Science-based core curriculum that guides your knowledge of human behavior.
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Christian Counseling
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Childhood and Adolescence Disorders
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Trauma
- And more...
- Ranked among the Best Online Bachelor's Programs in 2015 by U.S. News and World Report.
- Lets undergrad students try classes before paying any tuition.
- Has an average class sizes of 18 for undergraduate and 13 for graduate-level courses.
- Offers numerous scholarship opportunities that can help students save up to $750 per term on their tuition.
- Tends to educate degree-seeking online and campus-based students who are adult learners with families and students who work while pursuing higher education.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
What to Expect in OTA School
In most cases the course work is approximately 2 years, with the first year being predominantly classroom training and with the second year spent carrying out hands on training in a hospital or private medical practice. Some of the course work a student will need to take involves pediatrics, gerontology, medical terminology, and physical rehabilitation. All States that require licensure only call for a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree is going to be required if you intend on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but you will find that almost all Occupational Therapist launched their careers as Assistants and received their Bachelor’s Degrees a couple of years later.
Following graduation, those ready to get started on their careers will need to become certified as an occupational therapist assistant. Each State has its own rules and regulations that will be governed by an occupational therapy board, with a few being private and several run by the State exclusively. In Pennsylvania, licensing is controlled by the Pennsylvania State Board of Occupational Therapy Education and Licensure. While every State is different, there are a number of requirements which happen to be common among many of them and can include the following.
Any person seeking an occupational therapy assistant certificate has to be a U.S. citizen, needs to have a social security number and needs to have taken and passed applicable college course work in addition to having taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Every State requires a federal background check , but convictions are not always immediate grounds for dismissal. A handful of States may consider processing an occupational therapy license if a written affidavit is submitted to explain the circumstances of the conviction. Additional factors including time frame and nature of the crime may be reviewed and be taken into consideration to grant licensure .
Every State will have an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensure package that will contain several forms to complete. Do not spend money on these forms from a third party as they can be accessed online from many reputable web sites. It is advised to take a very in depth look through the paper work before trying to complete them. There will be official transcripts wanted; notarized signatures and many States will ask you to complete a fingerprint card which may be completed at a local police station.
Job Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA will work with many different patients which have needs which may be very different in comparison to the previous patient. You might be working for an outpatient clinic with infants that have food or texture aversions or maybe a hospital rehab center working with a middle age man with psychological struggles . Even though an occupational therapy assistant possesses a large number of job skills, a couple of the basics like following direction, keeping up to date with the most current techniques and learning and employing the available technologies are the most important. Finally, a COTA must also be somewhat physically fit, because you will encounter plenty of instances of shifting patients around, for example from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this sounds like the career for you, then take a few minutes to visit the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of training programs near Baldwin, PA that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant classes. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Baldwin, PA reviewed by Mason THOMPSON on June 14.
Thank You for sharing such an informative website. I was able to get more info about the various schools in my area and chose one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my classes and can’t wait to become an Occupational Therapy Assistant.