As you commence your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Barboursville, WV, you are going to quickly find that there has never been a better time for you to go after a career as an Occupational Therapy Assistant. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts jobs in this particular industry to expand by 43% over the 10 year period 2010-2020, this means over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The better news is that the median Occupational Therapy Assistant wage is over $53,000 per year making it right there with the best paying health care jobs that does not require a University Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Barboursville, WV
The first step towards a career as an OTA is selecting the best Occupational Therapy Program. There are at the moment nearly two hundred accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and nearly all the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you dive in and pick a training program, make sure that you evaluate all of your options to make certain you choose an Occupational Therapy training program that satisfies all your preferences.
Things You Should Consider When Deciding On an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is important because you can be certain you will be taught the full variety of skills required to be a competent OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on numerous types of health conditions and disorders so it is essential that your course work is very extensive rather then too concentrated on one particular area of specialization.
Another important feature you should think about is the clinical education experience. This is your hands-on training, it is where you are able to interact with actual patients and put your knowledge to use. Some schools commit significantly more time on your actual laboratory training as compared to other training programs. In cases where your training program is not devoting large amounts of time with clinical training, make sure to find out why.
Another thing to look into is the class sizes. The size of can vary considerably from college to college. Make sure that you find out the class sizes at all the schools you are researching. Keep in mind, the smaller the classes , the more one-on-one instruction that you receive with the instructors.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online might not work for each individual student. Nevertheless, for many people online training can alleviate a few of the burdens of being a full time student. Job and family can be driven aside while students carry on their training and online classes may offer some flexibility to a busy life.
The last thing you should check out prior to selecting an Occupational Therapy School is the graduation rate of the colleges you are evaluating. Make sure that you find out how many students finish the program, what their evaluations were, and exactly how many of them have gone on to become Occupational Therapists.
Featured Occupational Therapy Schools in Barboursville, WV
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology program helps students prepare for careers in counseling, marketing/sales, human services, ministry, and more.
- The School of Psychology & Counseling received a 95% match rate for 4th year Psy.D. student internships in 2015.
- Programmatic accreditation for psychology programs is provided by the American Psychological Association (APA).
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- M.A. in Human Services - Addictions Counseling
- Does the Human Mind Fascinate You? Study Psychology! Choose Your Degree:
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology
- Master of Science in Psychology with an Emphasis in General Psychology
- Master of Science in Psychology with an Emphasis in Industrial and Organizational Psychology
- Convenient online program options available for the master's and bachelor's degree.
- Speak to an enrollment counselor today and find the degree that is right for you!
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Family Dynamics
- And more...
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 95% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Health Psychology - MA in Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
- Founded in 1949 as a private, accredited, nondenominational Christian university located in Phoenix, Arizona.
- Its student-faculty ratio is 16:1 and 33.9% of its classes have fewer than 20 students.
- Encourages students to find their purpose in Christ, with an emphasis on applying Christian values and ethics to the workplace.
- Provides Student Success Webinars where tutors provide tips and tricks to help make college a little easier.
- Offers programs in business, psychology, theology, engineering, communications, and more.
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Community Mental Health Administration
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- And more...
What to Expect in OTA School
Generally the course work is roughly two years, with the first year being mainly class-room training and with the second year spent doing hands on training in a medical center or private medical office. Some of the course work a student will likely need to take involves pediatrics, gerontology, health care terms, and physical therapy. All States that require licensure simply call for a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree will be needed if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but you will find that a majority of Occupational Therapist launched their careers as Assistants and achieved their Bachelor’s Degrees a few years later.
Following graduation, those ready to get started on their careers need to become certified as an occupational therapist assistant. Every State has its own rules and specifications that will be governed by an occupational therapy board, with many being private and several run by the State exclusively. In WV, licensing is controlled by the West Virginia Board of Occupational Therapy. Though every State is different, there are a number of requirements which are common among the majority of them and include the following.
Any person applying for an occupational therapy assistant certificate must be a U.S. citizen, will need to have a social security number and needs to have taken and completed applicable college course work and also taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Each State requires a federal background check , however convictions are not always immediate grounds for dismissal. A handful of States may consider processing an occupational therapy license in a case where a written affidavit is turned in to explain the circumstances of the conviction. Additional circumstances including time and nature of the offense may be evaluated and be considered to grant licensure .
Each State will provide an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensing packet that will contain quite a few forms to fill out. Do not purchase these forms from a third party since they can be accessed online from many legitimate web sites. It is advised to take a very detailed look through the paper work before attempting to complete them. You might have official transcripts wanted; notarized signatures and many States will ask you to include a fingerprint card that can be completed at a local police station.
Work Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA will work with a number of different patients which have needs that could be very different than from the previous patient. You might be working in an outpatient clinic with young children that happen to have food or texture aversions or a hospital rehabilitation center working with a middle age man with psychological and mental struggles . Although an occupational therapy assistant has many job skills, a couple of the basics such as following direction, keeping up to date with the latest techniques and implementing and employing the available technologies are extremely important. Finally, a COTA also needs to be relatively physically fit, since you will encounter plenty of instances of shifting patients around, including from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this sounds like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes and fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of training programs near Barboursville, WV that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant classes. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Barboursville, WV reviewed by Samantha STEVENS on June 7.
Thank You for creating such an informative website. I was able to get great info about the OTA schools in my area and found one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my classes and can’t wait to work as an OTA.