After you begin your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Bastrop, LA, you should soon see that there has never been a better time for you to go after a career as an Occupational Therapy Assistant. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts jobs within this industry to expand by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this means over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is that the average Occupational Therapy Assistant income is over $53,000 yearly making it right there with the best paying medical-related professions that does not require a Four Year Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Bastrop, LA
The initial step toward a career as an OTA is finding the best Occupational Therapy Training Program. There are currently approximately 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and most of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you decide to dive in to select a school, you might want to examine all of the options and make sure you find an Occupational Therapy school that satisfies all your requirements.
Details You Should Consider When Choosing an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is essential because you will be reassured you will be taught the full array of competencies needed to be a qualified OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants assist patients on numerous types of issues and disorders making it very important that your course work is very extensive and not too focused on a particular area of specialization.
Another really important variable you should consider is the clinical education experience. This is your hands-on training, and this is where you actually interact with actual patients and put your knowledge to use. Some schools allocate significantly more time on your actual practical training when compared to the other schools. In situations where your school is not devoting a large amount of time with clinical instructing, be sure that you ask why.
Another thing to think about is the class size. The size of the classes can vary significantly from college to college. Make sure that you find out the class sizes at all the schools you are looking at. Try to remember, the smaller the classes , the more one-on-one teaching that you receive with the instructors.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online do not work for every student. Yet, for many people online courses can alleviate many of the burdens of being a full time student. Work and family members tend to be pushed aside as students carry on their training and online classes can provide a bit of flexibility to a busy life.
The last issue you should check out prior to selecting an Occupational Therapy School is the rate of the colleges you are evaluating. Make sure you find out how many people complete the program, what their assessments were, and how many of them have gone to become Occupational Therapy Assistants.
Suggested Occupational Therapy Schools in Bastrop, LA
- Earn a nursing degree focused on leadership & expanding technologies in healthcare
- SACS accredited with flexible options for Associate, Bachelor & Master degrees
- Regionally accredited private career university with degrees on campus or online
- Ranked #42 in 2018 Best Value Schools in U.S. News & World Report
- Ranked as a top school in the nation by the Military Times Best for Vets Colleges
- Associate of Science in Occupational Therapy Assistant
- Master of Science in Occupational Therapy - Bridge Program
- Associate of Science in Physical Therapist Assistant
- Pursue a Rewarding Career in a Field That Helps Individuals Better Their Lives With a Psychology Degree Online From Grand Canyon University
- Degree Emphases: General Psychology, Performance & Sport Psychology, Forensic Psychology, Geropsychology, Life Coaching and more.
- Discover how each person’s cognitive thinking is formed & influenced through class discussions and a capstone project.
- Prepare for a variety of career opportunities while studying human behavior and thought through GCU's psychology programs.
- Whether you are a full-time student or working professional, Grand Canyon University offers the flexibility you need to earn a psychology degree.
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Family Dynamics
- And more...
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
Building on Purdue's mission to provide greater access to affordable, world-class education, Purdue University Globaldelivers a fully personalized online experience that's tailored to working adults. By opening the doors to adults who need flexibility to fit learning into their busy lives, we make it possible to achieve a high-quality education from a prestigious university system—completely online.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
What to Expect in OTA School
Typically the course work is about two years, with the first year being mostly class-room instruction and with the second year spent carrying out hands on training in a medical facility or private care office. Some of the course work a student will have to take involves pediatrics, gerontology, health care terminology, and physical rehabilitation. All States that require licensure simply require a two year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree is needed if you intend on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but the truth is you will find that a majority of Occupational Therapist started their careers as Assistants and obtained their Bachelor’s Degrees some time later.
Following graduation, those wanting to get started on their careers will need to become licensed as an OTA. Every State has its own rules and specifications that will be governed by an occupational therapy board, with some being private and several run by the State exclusively. In Louisiana, licensing is administered by the Louisiana State Board of Medical Examiners. Although every State is different, there are a number of requirements which happen to be common among the majority of them and can include the following.
A person applying for an occupational therapy assistant license must be a U.S. citizen, must have a social security number and needs to have taken and completed appropriate college course work in addition to having taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Each State requires a federal background check , however convictions are not always immediate grounds for dismissal. Certain States may consider processing an occupational therapy license as long as a written affidavit is turned in to describe the circumstances of the conviction. Other factors including time frame and nature of the offense may be reviewed and be taken into consideration to grant licensure .
Every State will have an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensing package that will contain many forms to fill out. You should not spend money on these forms from a third party because they can be found online from many trustworthy internet sites. It is important to take a very thorough look through the forms before attempting to complete them. You might have official transcripts necessary; notarized signatures and several States will need you to complete a fingerprint card which may be completed at a local police station.
Workplace for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA will work with many different patients who have needs that could be different the previous patient. You may be working in an outpatient clinic with infants that have food or texture aversions or maybe a hospital rehab center working with a middle age woman with emotional struggles . Although an occupational therapy assistant has a large number of job skills, a couple of the basics like following direction, keeping up to date with the most up to date techniques and implementing and using the available technologies are extremely important. Finally, a COTA must also be somewhat physically fit, as you will encounter plenty of instances of transferring patients around, for example from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this sounds like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes to fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of training programs near Bastrop, LA that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant training. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Bastrop, LA reviewed by James WHITE on June 7.
Thank You for creating such an informative website. I was able to get great info about the various schools in my area and found one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my classes and can’t wait to work as an Occupational Therapy Assistant.