After you begin your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Bastrop, LA, you should soon see that there has never been a better time for you to go after a career as an Occupational Therapy Assistant. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts jobs within this industry to expand by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this means over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is that the average Occupational Therapy Assistant income is over $53,000 yearly making it right there with the best paying medical-related professions that does not require a Four Year Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Bastrop, LA
The initial step toward a career as an OTA is finding the best Occupational Therapy Training Program. There are currently approximately 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and most of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you decide to dive in to select a school, you might want to examine all of the options and make sure you find an Occupational Therapy school that satisfies all your requirements.
Details You Should Consider When Choosing an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is essential because you will be reassured you will be taught the full array of competencies needed to be a qualified OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants assist patients on numerous types of issues and disorders making it very important that your course work is very extensive and not too focused on a particular area of specialization.
Another really important variable you should consider is the clinical education experience. This is your hands-on training, and this is where you actually interact with actual patients and put your knowledge to use. Some schools allocate significantly more time on your actual practical training when compared to the other schools. In situations where your school is not devoting a large amount of time with clinical instructing, be sure that you ask why.
Another thing to think about is the class size. The size of the classes can vary significantly from college to college. Make sure that you find out the class sizes at all the schools you are looking at. Try to remember, the smaller the classes , the more one-on-one teaching that you receive with the instructors.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online do not work for every student. Yet, for many people online courses can alleviate many of the burdens of being a full time student. Work and family members tend to be pushed aside as students carry on their training and online classes can provide a bit of flexibility to a busy life.
The last issue you should check out prior to selecting an Occupational Therapy School is the rate of the colleges you are evaluating. Make sure you find out how many people complete the program, what their assessments were, and how many of them have gone to become Occupational Therapy Assistants.
Suggested Occupational Therapy Schools in Bastrop, LA
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Prevention
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- And more...
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Ranked among the Best Online Bachelor’s Programs by U.S. News and World Report in 2015.
- Ranked among the Best Online MBA Programs by U.S. News and World Report in 2015.
- Founded in 1890, it has a campus in Waterbury, CT and offers online degree program in eight-week modules, six times a year.
- About 800 students are enrolled at the main campus, and about half of them commute.
- Online courses make it possible for students to earn a bachelor’s degree in as little as 18 months and a master’s degree in 14-24 months.
- B.S. in Human Services / Counseling
- Graduate Certificate in Alcohol & Drug Counseling
- Graduate Certificate in Professional Counseling
- And more...
Regent University prepares students with the knowledge to excel and the faith to live with purpose. Our 20,000 alumni, from more than 110 countries, are changing the world as accomplished professionals. Named a top-15 school nationally for online bachelor's programs (U.S. News & World Report, 2015), Regent is among the most affordable undergraduate Christian colleges (CCCU 2015). Fully accredited, challenging programs are available online and on campus. New classes begin every eight weeks.
- Certificate in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- Certificate in Trauma
- And more...
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Bachelor of Arts in Substance Abuse Counseling
- eLearners.com Helps You Find the Right College within Minutes.
- Get Matched to the Perfect Psychology Degree Programs From Top Colleges Here.
- Learn at Your Own Pace and Get Qualified to Pursue a Career You Will Love.
- Answer a Few Questions and You Are One Step Closer to Enroll in a Top College!
What to Expect in OTA School
Typically the course work is about two years, with the first year being mostly class-room instruction and with the second year spent carrying out hands on training in a medical facility or private care office. Some of the course work a student will have to take involves pediatrics, gerontology, health care terminology, and physical rehabilitation. All States that require licensure simply require a two year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree is needed if you intend on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but the truth is you will find that a majority of Occupational Therapist started their careers as Assistants and obtained their Bachelor’s Degrees some time later.
Following graduation, those wanting to get started on their careers will need to become licensed as an OTA. Every State has its own rules and specifications that will be governed by an occupational therapy board, with some being private and several run by the State exclusively. In Louisiana, licensing is administered by the Louisiana State Board of Medical Examiners. Although every State is different, there are a number of requirements which happen to be common among the majority of them and can include the following.
A person applying for an occupational therapy assistant license must be a U.S. citizen, must have a social security number and needs to have taken and completed appropriate college course work in addition to having taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Each State requires a federal background check , however convictions are not always immediate grounds for dismissal. Certain States may consider processing an occupational therapy license as long as a written affidavit is turned in to describe the circumstances of the conviction. Other factors including time frame and nature of the offense may be reviewed and be taken into consideration to grant licensure .
Every State will have an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensing package that will contain many forms to fill out. You should not spend money on these forms from a third party because they can be found online from many trustworthy internet sites. It is important to take a very thorough look through the forms before attempting to complete them. You might have official transcripts necessary; notarized signatures and several States will need you to complete a fingerprint card which may be completed at a local police station.
Workplace for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA will work with many different patients who have needs that could be different the previous patient. You may be working in an outpatient clinic with infants that have food or texture aversions or maybe a hospital rehab center working with a middle age woman with emotional struggles . Although an occupational therapy assistant has a large number of job skills, a couple of the basics like following direction, keeping up to date with the most up to date techniques and implementing and using the available technologies are extremely important. Finally, a COTA must also be somewhat physically fit, as you will encounter plenty of instances of transferring patients around, for example from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this sounds like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes to fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of training programs near Bastrop, LA that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant training. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Bastrop, LA reviewed by James WHITE on June 7.
Thank You for creating such an informative website. I was able to get great info about the various schools in my area and found one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my classes and can’t wait to work as an Occupational Therapy Assistant.