After you begin your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Bay City, TX, you are going to soon find that there has never been a better time for you to undertake a career as an Occupational Therapy Assistant. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics is expecting jobs within this field to expand by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this is over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is that the median Occupational Therapy Assistant salary is over $53,000 annually making it one of the highest paying health care jobs that does not require a University Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Bay City, TX
The first step towards a career as an OTA is selecting the best Occupational Therapy School. There are currently approximately 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and almost all of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you decide to jump in to decide on a training program, you will need to evaluate all of your options to make sure you find an Occupational Therapy school that suits all your requirements.
Details You Must Consider When Deciding On an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is essential because you can be certain that you will learn about the full array of techniques needed to be an effective OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants assist patients on a wide variety of health conditions and disorders so it is imperative that your training is very diversified rather then too focused on one particular area of specialization.
Another very important feature you should think about is the clinical training experience. This is the practical training, it is when you are able to interact with actual patients and put your skills to use. Some schools allocate significantly more time on your actual clinical training in comparison to others. In cases where your training program is not devoting a large amount of time with clinical instructing, make sure that you ask why.
Another thing to think about is the class sizes. The size of may vary greatly from school to school. Make sure that you find out the class sizes at the schools you are looking at. Try to remember, the smaller the classes , the more one-on-one instruction you will get with your teachers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online might not work for every student. Nevertheless, for many people online classes can ease several of the burdens of being a full time student. Work and loved ones are often times driven aside while students pursue their schooling and online classes can provide a little flexibility to a busy life.
The final factor you need to check out before choosing an Occupational Therapy School is the graduation rate of the training programs you are looking at. Make certain you find out how many people complete the program, what their comments were, and how many of them have gone on to become Occupational Therapists.
Featured Occupational Therapy Schools in Bay City, TX
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 95% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Does psychology interest you? See if Grand Canyon University could be a good fit for your journey in discovering the human mind!
- GCU offers a Bachelor of Science in Psychology and a Master of Science in Psychology with an emphasis in either General Psychology or Industrial & Organizational Psychology.
- The College of Humanities and Social Sciences at GCU provides a job focused education, blending the study of traditional humanities in a modern context.
- GCU offers a variety of learning options, including: traditional degree programs offered at our main campus, online degrees, or evening classes meeting once a week at various locations.
- Founded in 1949, GCU is a regionally accredited, private Christian university and is recognized as offering some of the best online education programs in the nation.
- Request information and learn more about our program offerings, start dates, financial aid and more!
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Family Dynamics
- And more...
- Bachelor of Arts in Substance Abuse Counseling
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Master of Science) - Online
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Certificate) - Online
- Sports Counseling (Certificate) - Online
What to Expect in OTA School
Typically the course work is approximately 2 years, with the first year consisting of mostly class-room training and with the second year spent working on hands on training in a hospital or private care office. Some of the course work a student will likely need to take includes pediatrics, gerontology, healthcare terms, and physical rehab. All States that require licensure only want a two year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree shall be necessary if you intend on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, however you will find that a majority of Occupational Therapist began their careers as Assistants and received their Bachelor’s Degrees several years later.
Licensing Information and Facts
Following graduation, those ready to get started with their careers need to become licensed as an occupational therapist assistant. Every State has its own policies and specifications that are governed by an occupational therapy board, with many being private and several run by the State exclusively. In Texas, licensing is administered by the Texas Executive Council of PT & OT Examiners. While every State is different, there are a number of requirements that are common among many of them and can include the following.
An individual applying for an occupational therapy assistant license will have to be a U.S. citizen, must have a social security number and needs to have taken and completed applicable college course work as well as taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Every State requires a federal background check , but convictions are not always automatic grounds for dismissal. Certain States may consider processing an occupational therapist license as long as a written affidavit is turned in to explain the circumstances of the conviction. Additional circumstances including time and nature of the transgression may be reviewed and be considered to approve licensure .
Every State will provide an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensure kit that is going to include numerous forms to fill out. You should not pay for these forms from a third party since they can be accessed online from many reputable web sites. It is recommended to take a very in depth look through the paper work before attempting to complete them. It will have official transcripts needed; notarized signatures and several States will need you to turn in a fingerprint card that can be completed at a local police station.
Workplace for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA works with a variety of patients who may have needs which can be totally different compared to the previous patient. You might be employed in an outpatient clinic with young children who have food or texture aversions or maybe a hospital treatment facility working with a middle age man with emotional struggles . Though an occupational therapy assistant possesses a large number of job skills, some of the basics including following direction, keeping up to date with the most up-to-date techniques and learning and applying the available technology are the most important. Finally, a COTA must also be somewhat physically fit, since you will have numerous instances of transferring patients around, such as from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this sounds like the career for you, then take a few minutes and fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of training programs near Bay City, TX that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant training. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Bay City, TX reviewed by Emily WOODS on June 13.
Very Helpful Site
Thank You for creating such an informative website. I was able to find a lot of info about the OTA schools in my area and chose one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my classes and can’t wait to work as an Occupational Therapy Assistant.