After you start your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Bay Shore, NY, you will probably soon see that there has never been a better time to undertake a career as an OTA. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics is expecting jobs in this particular field to increase by 43% over the 10 year period 2010-2020, this equals over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The better news is that the average Occupational Therapy Assistant earnings is greater than $53,000 yearly which makes it right there with the best paying medical-related jobs that does not call for a Four Year Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Bay Shore, NY
The initial step toward a career as an OTA is selecting the right Occupational Therapy School. There are currently nearly two hundred accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and almost all of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you decide to jump in and choose a training program, you will need to analyze all of the options and make certain you choose an Occupational Therapy school that fulfills all your requirements.
Items You Should Consider When Selecting an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is recommended because you can be assured that you will learn about the full range of techniques necessary to be a knowledgeable OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on a wide variety of health problems and disorders so it is essential that your training is very wide-ranging rather then too dedicated to one particular area of specialization.
Another really important variable you must consider is the clinical training experience. This is your practical training, it is when you actually interact with real patients and put your skills to use. Some schools dedicate substantially more time on your actual laboratory experience compared to other schools. In instances where your training program is not devoting a large amount of time with clinical instructing, make sure that you find out why.
Something else to also consider is the class size. The size of your class can vary considerably from college to college. Make sure you find out the class sizes at the schools you are considering. Keep in mind, the smaller the class size , the more one-on-one time you will get with your teachers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online do not work for every student. However, for many people online courses can relieve a few of the burdens of being a full time student. Work and family members tend to be pushed aside as students pursue their education and learning and online classes can offer a bit of flexibility to a busy life.
The last factor you should evaluate before choosing an Occupational Therapy School is the success rate of the colleges you are evaluating. Be sure you find out how many trainees finish the program, what their assessments were, and just how many of them have gone to become OTA’s.
Suggested Occupational Therapy Schools in Bay Shore, NY
- Want to explore human action and interaction? A psychology degree from GCU may be for you!
- Bachelor's and master's degrees offered conveniently online and on campus to fit your needs.
- Choose from a variety of program focuses at the bachelor's or master's level.
- Examine how personality and cognitive thinking is formed, developed and influenced.
- Science-based core curriculum that guides your knowledge of human behavior.
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Christian Counseling
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- M.S. in Addiction Counseling
- And more...
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Master of Arts in Counseling - Clinical Mental Health
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
Building on Purdue's mission to provide greater access to affordable, world-class education, Purdue University Globaldelivers a fully personalized online experience that's tailored to working adults. By opening the doors to adults who need flexibility to fit learning into their busy lives, we make it possible to achieve a high-quality education from a prestigious university system—completely online.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
What to Expect in OTA School
Typically the course work is about 24 months, with the first year consisting of primarily classroom instruction and with the second year spent going through hands on learning in a medical center or private medical practice. Some of the course work a student will want to take includes pediatrics, gerontology, healthcare jargon, and physical therapy. All States that require licensure only want a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree is going to be required if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but you will find that a majority of Occupational Therapist started their careers as Assistants and achieved their Bachelor’s Degrees a couple of years later.
Licensing Information and Facts
Following graduation, those prepared to get started on their careers will need to become certified as an OTA. Each State has its own guidelines and specifications that will be governed by an occupational therapy board, with some being private while others are run by the State exclusively. In New York, licensing is controlled by the New York State Board for Occupational Therapy. Though every State is different, there are a number of requirements that happen to be common among the majority of them and include the following.
Any individual attempting to get an occupational therapy assistant license is required to be a U.S. citizen, must have a social security number and is required to have taken and completed acceptable college course work in addition to having taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Each State requires a federal background check , but convictions are not necessarily immediate grounds for dismissal. A number of States may consider approving an occupational therapy license in a case where a written affidavit is submitted to describe the circumstances of the conviction. Other factors including time and nature of the offense may be evaluated and be taken into consideration to approve licensure .
Each State will have an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensing package that will include several forms to fill out. Do not buy these forms from a third party since they can be accessed online from many reputable web sites. It is important to take a very extensive look through the paper work before trying to complete them. You might have official transcripts needed; notarized signatures and several States will ask you to complete a fingerprint card which can be completed at a local police station.
Job Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA works with many different patients who have needs that will be completely different in comparison to the previous patient. You could be working in an outpatient clinic with children that happen to have food or texture aversions or perhaps a hospital rehab center working with a middle age woman with emotional struggles . Though an occupational therapy assistant has a variety of job skills, a few of the basics like following direction, keeping up to date with the most up-to-date techniques and learning and applying the available technology are the most important. Finally, a COTA also needs to be somewhat physically fit, as there will be many instances of shifting patients around, including from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like the career for you, then take a few minutes and visit the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near Bay Shore, NY that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant training. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Bay Shore, NY reviewed by Billy BUTLER on June 15.
Very Helpful Site
Thank You for sharing such an informative website. I was able to get great info about the various schools in my area and found one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my training and can’t wait to become an Occupational Therapist.