After you commence your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Bayonne, NJ, you will probably soon see that there has never been a better time to pursue a career as an OTA. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts jobs in this field to grow by 43% over the 10 year period 2010-2020, this equates to over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is that the average Occupational Therapy Assistant wage is over $53,000 annually which makes it one ofthe highest paying health care jobs that does not require a Bachelor’s Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Bayonne, NJ
The first step toward a career as an OTA is choosing the best Occupational Therapy School. There are at this time almost two hundred accredited occupational therapy schools in the United States and Puerto Rico and most of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you decide to jump in and pick a training program, be sure that you evaluate all of the options to make certain you locate an Occupational Therapy training program thatsatisfies all your preferences.
Details You Must Consider When Deciding On an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is essential because you will be reassured you will learn about the full array of techniques needed to be a qualified OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on a wide array of ailments and disorders making it crucial that yourschooling is very diversified rather then too dedicated to a particular area of specialization.
Another really important component to take under consideration is the clinical teaching experience. This is your practical training, and this is where you actually interact with actual patients and put your skills to use. Some schoolsdesignate substantially more time on your actual laboratory trainingin comparison to others. In cases where your school is not devoting a considerable amount of time with clinical teaching, be sure that you find out why.
Another thing to consider is the class sizes. The size of the classes can varygreatly from college to college. Be sure to find out the class sizes at the schools you are considering. Try to remember, the smaller the classes , the more one-on-one time you will get with your professors.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online do not work for each individual student. However, for some people online courses can ease many of the burdens of being a full time student. Work and loved ones are oftentimes driven aside while students undertake their education and online classes may offer a little flexibility to a busy life.
The final issue you might want to have a look at before choosing an Occupational Therapy School is the rate of the colleges you are considering. Make sure that you find out how many people graduate from the program, what their comments were , and just how many of them have gone on to become Occupational Therapists.
Featured Occupational Therapy Schools in Bayonne, NJ
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Christian Counseling
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Childhood and Adolescence Disorders
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Trauma
- And more...
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Master of Arts in Counseling - Clinical Mental Health
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
Building on Purdue's mission to provide greater access to affordable, world-class education, Purdue University Globaldelivers a fully personalized online experience that's tailored to working adults. By opening the doors to adults who need flexibility to fit learning into their busy lives, we make it possible to achieve a high-quality education from a prestigious university system—completely online.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
What to Expect in OTA School
Normally the course work is approximately 2 years, with the first year consisting ofpredominantly classroom teaching and with the second year spent carrying outhands on training in a hospital or private care practice. Some of the course work a student will be required to take involves pediatrics , gerontology,medical terminology , and physical rehabilitation. All States that require licensure simplyrequire a two year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree is needed if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, however you will find that a majority of Occupational Therapistlaunched their careers as Assistants and earned their Bachelor’s Degrees several years later.
Following graduation, those prepared to start their careers have tobecome certified as an occupational therapist assistant. Every State has its own policies and specifications that will be governed by an occupational therapy board, with some being private and several run by the State exclusively. In New Jersey, licensing is handled by the Occupational Therapy Advisory Council. Though each State is unique, there are a number of requirements that happen to be common among the majority of themand include the following.
Any individual attempting to get an occupational therapy assistant certificate will have to be a U.S. citizen, will need to have a social security number and must have taken and completed acceptable college course work in addition to having taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Every State requires a federal background check , although convictions are not necessarily automatic grounds for dismissal. A handful of States may consider processing an occupational therapy license as long as a written affidavit is filed to describe the circumstances of the conviction. Additional circumstances including time and nature of the crime may be assessedand be considered to grant licensure .
Every State will provide an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensure packet which will containseveral forms to complete. Do not spend money on these forms from a third party as they can be accessed online from many trustworthy internet sites . It is important to take a very thorough look through thepaper work before trying to complete them. You might have official transcriptsnecessary ; notarized signatures and many States will require you to turn in a fingerprint card that can be completed at a local police station.
Job Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA works with a range of patients who have needsthat will be different compared to the previous patient . You might be working in an outpatient clinic with kids who may have food or texture aversions or a hospital rehab facility working with a middle age woman with psychological and mental struggles . Even though an occupational therapy assistant has a large number of job skills , some of the basics including following direction , keeping up to date with the most up to date techniques and implementing and employing the available technology are extremely important. Finally, a COTA should also be reasonably physically fit, because you will encounternumerous instances of shifting patients around, including from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes to visit the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of training programs near Bayonne, NJ that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant training. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Bayonne, NJ reviewed by Brianna MILLS on June 9.
Very Helpful Site
Thank You for sharing such an informative website. I was able to find more info about the various schools in my area and found one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my training and can’t wait to become an OTA.