As you begin your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Beaver Dam, WI, you can expect to quickly find that there has never been a better time to undertake a career as an Occupational Therapy Assistant. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics is expecting jobs in this industry to grow by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this is over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is the fact that the median Occupational Therapy Assistant earnings is greater than $53,000 per year making it one of the highest paying healthcare occupations that does not call for a Bachelor’s Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Beaver Dam, WI
The first step toward a career as an OTA is selecting the best Occupational Therapy School. There are at this time almost two hundred accredited occupational therapy schools in the United States and Puerto Rico and almost all of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you decide to jump in to select a school, it is important to consider all of your options and make sure you choose an Occupational Therapy training program that suits all your requirements.
Items You Should Consider When Deciding On an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is essential because you can be reassured that you are going to be taught the full variety of techniques required to be a qualified OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants assist patients on an array of issues and disorders therefore it is essential that your course work is very diversified and not too focused on a particular discipline.
Another very important variable you should look at is the clinical learning experience. This is your hands-on training, and this is where you actually interact with real patients and put your abilities to use. Some schools apply substantially more time on your actual practical training when compared to the other schools. In situations where your school is not spending a large amount of time with clinical teaching, be sure that you ask why.
Something else to consider is the class size. The size of your class may vary greatly from school to school. Make sure that you find out the class sizes at all of schools you are looking at. Keep in mind, the smaller the class size , the more one-on-one time that you receive with your professors.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online may not work for each individual student. Nevertheless, for some people online courses can ease a few of the burdens of being a full time student. Work and household are often times pushed aside as students continue their education and learning and online classes can provide a little flexibility to a busy schedule.
The last factor you might like to take a look at prior to selecting an Occupational Therapy School is the rate of the schools you are considering. Make sure you find out how many trainees complete the program, what their comments were, and how many of them have gone on to become Occupational Therapy Assistants.
Suggested Occupational Therapy Schools in Beaver Dam, WI
- Occupational Therapy Aide
- Physical Therapy Aide
- Substance Abuse
- Does psychology interest you? See if Grand Canyon University could be a good fit for your journey in discovering the human mind!
- GCU offers a Bachelor of Science in Psychology and a Master of Science in Psychology with an emphasis in either General Psychology or Industrial & Organizational Psychology.
- The College of Humanities and Social Sciences at GCU provides a job focused education, blending the study of traditional humanities in a modern context.
- GCU offers a variety of learning options, including: traditional degree programs offered at our main campus, online degrees, or evening classes meeting once a week at various locations.
- Founded in 1949, GCU is a regionally accredited, private Christian university and is recognized as offering some of the best online education programs in the nation.
- Request information and learn more about our program offerings, start dates, financial aid and more!
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Prevention
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- And more...
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Designated a 2015 Military Friendly School by Victory Media for the 4th consecutive year.
- Listed on the President’s Higher Education Community Service Honor Roll in 2013, for the sixth consecutive year
- Links students to hundreds of training opportunities (beyond their traditional internships and practicum) at their many “partner agencies” in each of their local communities.
- Accredited by the WASC Senior College and University Commission (WUSCUC).
- M.A. Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Master of Science) - Online
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Certificate) - Online
- Sports Counseling (Certificate) - Online
- Interested in Changing the Lives of Patients and People with Each New Discussion? Get Educated in the Psychology Field.
- Build the Capabilities and Connections to Power Your Future.
- Psychology, Human Services, Social Work Degree Programs and More From Top Colleges that Fit Your Needs.
- Find Schools Online or Near You & Get Info for FREE Today!
Cortiva Institute School of Massage Therapy's innovative program will help you learn the art of massage therapy and introduce you to a range of career opportunities. Through a holistic approach to education, you'll be well-trained to work in clinics, hospitals, health clubs, spas, with sport teams, or to start a private practice.
Classes start November 13!
What to Expect in OTA School
Typically the course work is roughly two years, with the first year being primarily classroom instruction and with the second year spent carrying out hands on lessons in a medical facility or private care office. Some of the course work a student will want to take includes pediatrics, gerontology, healthcare jargon, and physical rehab. All States that require licensure simply call for a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree is going to be necessary if you intend on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but you will find that almost all Occupational Therapist began their careers as Assistants and earned their Bachelor’s Degrees a few years later.
Following graduation, those ready to get started on their careers have to become certified as an occupational therapist assistant. Every State has its own policies and specifications which are governed by an occupational therapy board, with a few being private and several run by the State exclusively. In Wisconsin, licensing is controlled by the Bureau of Health Professions Department of Regulation and Licensing. Although every State is unique, there are a number of requirements which happen to be common among most of them and include the following.
Someone applying for an occupational therapy assistant license has to be a U.S. citizen, needs to have a social security number and must have taken and passed appropriate college course work as well as taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Each State requires a federal background check , although convictions are not necessarily automatic grounds for dismissal. Certain States may consider approving an occupational therapy license if a written affidavit is turned in to explain the circumstances of the conviction. Other factors including time frame and nature of the offense may be examined and be considered to grant licensure .
Each State will provide an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensure kit that is going to contain several forms to fill out. Never purchase these forms from a third party because they can be found online from many trusted internet sites. It is recommended to take a very thorough look through the forms before attempting to complete them. There may be official transcripts necessary; notarized signatures and many States will want you to complete a fingerprint card which may be completed at a local police station.
Workplace for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA works with a number of different patients who have needs that could be different the previous patient. You might be working in an outpatient facility with small children who may have food or texture aversions or a hospital rehabilitation facility working with a middle age patient with psychological and mental struggles . Though an occupational therapy assistant possesses a variety of job skills, a few of the basics like following direction, keeping up to date with the freshest techniques and learning and applying the available technology are extremely important. Finally, a COTA must also be relatively physically fit, since you will encounter many instances of moving patients around, such as from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this sounds like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes and visit the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of training programs near Beaver Dam, WI that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant classes. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Beaver Dam, WI reviewed by Abigail COLE on June 8.
Very Helpful Site
Thank You for sharing such an informative website. I was able to get more info about the OTA schools in my area and chose one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my classes and can’t wait to become an OTA.