As you begin your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Beaver Dam, WI, you can expect to quickly find that there has never been a better time to undertake a career as an Occupational Therapy Assistant. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics is expecting jobs in this industry to grow by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this is over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is the fact that the median Occupational Therapy Assistant earnings is greater than $53,000 per year making it one of the highest paying healthcare occupations that does not call for a Bachelor’s Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Beaver Dam, WI
The first step toward a career as an OTA is selecting the best Occupational Therapy School. There are at this time almost two hundred accredited occupational therapy schools in the United States and Puerto Rico and almost all of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you decide to jump in to select a school, it is important to consider all of your options and make sure you choose an Occupational Therapy training program that suits all your requirements.
Items You Should Consider When Deciding On an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is essential because you can be reassured that you are going to be taught the full variety of techniques required to be a qualified OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants assist patients on an array of issues and disorders therefore it is essential that your course work is very diversified and not too focused on a particular discipline.
Another very important variable you should look at is the clinical learning experience. This is your hands-on training, and this is where you actually interact with real patients and put your abilities to use. Some schools apply substantially more time on your actual practical training when compared to the other schools. In situations where your school is not spending a large amount of time with clinical teaching, be sure that you ask why.
Something else to consider is the class size. The size of your class may vary greatly from school to school. Make sure that you find out the class sizes at all of schools you are looking at. Keep in mind, the smaller the class size , the more one-on-one time that you receive with your professors.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online may not work for each individual student. Nevertheless, for some people online courses can ease a few of the burdens of being a full time student. Work and household are often times pushed aside as students continue their education and learning and online classes can provide a little flexibility to a busy schedule.
The last factor you might like to take a look at prior to selecting an Occupational Therapy School is the rate of the schools you are considering. Make sure you find out how many trainees complete the program, what their comments were, and how many of them have gone on to become Occupational Therapy Assistants.
Suggested Occupational Therapy Schools in Beaver Dam, WI
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 95% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Why Earn Your Degree from GCU?
- Options: Choose from a variety of undergraduate and graduate degree programs in Business, Nursing, Psychology, Education & more!
- Convenience: Complete courses online, on campus, or a combination of both!
- Earlier Graduation: Our 4-credit courses allow you to complete your degree program in less time.
- Transfer Friendly: We will request your transcripts, evaluate your graduate coursework, and determine your anticipated graduation date within 24 hours.
- Quality: Grand Canyon University was founded in 1949 and is regionally accredited. Learn more today!
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Trauma
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Prevention
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Marriage and Family Therapy
- And more...
- Bachelor of Arts in Substance Abuse Counseling
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Master of Science) - Online
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Certificate) - Online
- Sports Counseling (Certificate) - Online
What to Expect in OTA School
Typically the course work is roughly two years, with the first year being primarily classroom instruction and with the second year spent carrying out hands on lessons in a medical facility or private care office. Some of the course work a student will want to take includes pediatrics, gerontology, healthcare jargon, and physical rehab. All States that require licensure simply call for a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree is going to be necessary if you intend on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but you will find that almost all Occupational Therapist began their careers as Assistants and earned their Bachelor’s Degrees a few years later.
Following graduation, those ready to get started on their careers have to become certified as an occupational therapist assistant. Every State has its own policies and specifications which are governed by an occupational therapy board, with a few being private and several run by the State exclusively. In Wisconsin, licensing is controlled by the Bureau of Health Professions Department of Regulation and Licensing. Although every State is unique, there are a number of requirements which happen to be common among most of them and include the following.
Someone applying for an occupational therapy assistant license has to be a U.S. citizen, needs to have a social security number and must have taken and passed appropriate college course work as well as taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Each State requires a federal background check , although convictions are not necessarily automatic grounds for dismissal. Certain States may consider approving an occupational therapy license if a written affidavit is turned in to explain the circumstances of the conviction. Other factors including time frame and nature of the offense may be examined and be considered to grant licensure .
Each State will provide an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensure kit that is going to contain several forms to fill out. Never purchase these forms from a third party because they can be found online from many trusted internet sites. It is recommended to take a very thorough look through the forms before attempting to complete them. There may be official transcripts necessary; notarized signatures and many States will want you to complete a fingerprint card which may be completed at a local police station.
Workplace for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA works with a number of different patients who have needs that could be different the previous patient. You might be working in an outpatient facility with small children who may have food or texture aversions or a hospital rehabilitation facility working with a middle age patient with psychological and mental struggles . Though an occupational therapy assistant possesses a variety of job skills, a few of the basics like following direction, keeping up to date with the freshest techniques and learning and applying the available technology are extremely important. Finally, a COTA must also be relatively physically fit, since you will encounter many instances of moving patients around, such as from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this sounds like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes and visit the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of training programs near Beaver Dam, WI that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant classes. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Beaver Dam, WI reviewed by Abigail COLE on June 8.
Very Helpful Site
Thank You for sharing such an informative website. I was able to get more info about the OTA schools in my area and chose one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my classes and can’t wait to become an OTA.