As you start your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Bellaire, TX, you will soon find that there has never been a better time to undertake a career as an OTA. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics anticipates jobs in this field to grow by 43% over the 10 year period 2010-2020, this means over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is the fact that the average Occupational Therapy Assistant income is greater than $53,000 annually making it right there with the best paying medical occupations that does not require a Bachelor’s Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Bellaire, TX
The initial step towards a career as an OTA is finding the right Occupational Therapy Training Program. There are at this time nearly 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the United States and Puerto Rico and almost all of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you decide to jump in and decide on a training program, you will need to analyze all of your options and make certain you locate an Occupational Therapy training program that fulfills all your preferences.
Items You Must Consider When Deciding On an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is essential because you will be certain you will learn about the full variety of skills needed to be an effective OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on an array of ailments and disorders making it essential that your training is very diverse and not too concentrated on a particular discipline.
Another significant variable you should consider is the clinical learning experience. This is your practical training, it is where you will interact with actual patients and put your abilities to use. Some schools dedicate considerably more time on your actual laboratory experience in comparison with other training programs. In situations where your school is not spending large amounts of time with clinical training, be sure that you find out why.
Something else to look into is the class size. The size of the classes may vary significantly from school to school. Make sure that you find out the class sizes at all the schools you are researching. Remember, the smaller the classes , the more one-on-one time that you receive with the professors.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online may not work for each individual student. However, for many people online training can relieve a few of the burdens of being a full time student. Jobs and family will often be pushed aside as students pursue their training and online classes may offer a bit of flexibility to a busy schedule.
The last factor you want to have a look at before selecting an Occupational Therapy School is the success rate of the colleges you are considering. Be sure you find out how many students complete the program, what their opinions were, and exactly how many of them have gone to become OTA’s.
Recommended Occupational Therapy Schools in Bellaire, TX
We keep education relevant by employing instructors with real-world experience in the field, who bring their career backgrounds to the classroom. Our programs are continually assessed by faculty, staff and members of the business and education communities to help ensure your studies align with your career goals. Programs offered by Brightwood College focus on local employment needs, in areas such as allied health, nursing and technical and professional programs.
- Occupational Therapy Assistant
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 95% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Trauma
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Prevention
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Marriage and Family Therapy
- And more...
- Bachelor of Arts in Substance Abuse Counseling
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Master of Science) - Online
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Certificate) - Online
- Sports Counseling (Certificate) - Online
What to Expect in OTA School
Normally the course work is roughly two years, with the first year consisting of mainly classroom instruction and with the second year spent doing hands on training in a medical center or private care practice. Some of the course work a student will have to take involves pediatrics, gerontology, healthcare jargon, and physical therapy. All States that require licensure just call for a two year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree is necessary if you intend on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but the truth is you will find that almost all Occupational Therapist launched their careers as Assistants and achieved their Bachelor’s Degrees a few years later.
Following graduation, those prepared to begin their careers will need to become certified as an OTA. Every State has its own policies and regulations that are governed by an occupational therapy board, with a few being private and some run by the State exclusively. In Texas, licensing is administered by the Texas Executive Council of PT & OT Examiners. Although every State is different, there are a number of requirements that are common among the majority of them and can include the following.
Someone seeking an occupational therapy assistant license is required to be a U.S. citizen, needs to have a social security number and needs to have taken and passed applicable college course work and also taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Each State requires a federal background check , although convictions are not necessarily automatic grounds for dismissal. A number of States may consider processing an occupational therapy license as long as a written affidavit is submitted to explain the circumstances of the conviction. Other factors including time frame and nature of the transgression may be reviewed and be taken into consideration to approve licensure .
Every State will have an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensure package which will contain quite a few forms to fill out. Do not purchase these forms from a third party since they can be found online from many trustworthy internet sites. It is important to take a very extensive look through the forms before attempting to complete them. It will have official transcripts wanted; notarized signatures and several States will ask you to submit a fingerprint card which can be completed at a local police station.
Work Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA works with a range of patients that have needs which can be completely different the previous patient. You could be employed in an outpatient facility with children that happen to have food or texture aversions or a hospital treatment facility working with a middle age woman with psychological struggles . Even though an occupational therapy assistant has many job skills, a few of the basics like following direction, keeping up to date with the most recent techniques and implementing and using the available technologies are extremely important. Finally, a COTA should be relatively physically fit, because there will be plenty of instances of moving patients around, for example from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like the career for you, then take a few minutes and visit the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near Bellaire, TX that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant classes. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Bellaire, TX reviewed by Grace MURRAY on June 7.
Terrific Source of Info
Thank You for creating such an informative website. I was able to get great info about the OTA schools in my area and chose one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my classes and can’t wait to work as an Occupational Therapist.