Once you commence your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Belle Glade, FL, you will probably soon realize that there has never been a better time for you to undertake a career as an Occupational Therapy Assistant. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics is expecting jobs in this particular field to increase by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this is over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is the fact that the average Occupational Therapy Assistant income is over $53,000 annually which makes it amongst the best paying medical vocations that does not require a Bachelor’s Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Belle Glade, FL
The first step towards a career as an OTA is choosing the right Occupational Therapy School. There are currently nearly 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and nearly all the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you dive in and choose a training program, be sure that you consider all of the options and make sure you find an Occupational Therapy training program that meets all your preferences.
Details You Must Consider When Deciding On an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is essential because you can be certain you will learn about the full array of skills needed to be a qualified OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on a wide array of ailments and disorders therefore it is very important that your schooling is very wide-ranging and not too concentrated on one particular discipline.
Another very important component you must consider is the clinical education experience. This is the hands-on training, it is when you will interact with real patients and put your abilities to use. Some schools apply substantially more time on your actual practical training compared to others. In situations where your training program is not devoting a considerable amount of time with clinical instructing, make sure that you ask why.
Another thing to look into is the class sizes. The size of the classes may vary considerably from college to college. Make sure you find out the class sizes at all the schools you are looking at. Keep in mind, the smaller the classes , the more one-on-one time you will get with your professors.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online may not work for each individual student. However, for some online courses can ease many of the burdens of being a full time student. Jobs and family members tend to be driven aside as students carry on their education and learning and online classes may offer a little flexibility to a busy life.
The final issue you might want to have a look at before selecting an Occupational Therapy School is the rate of the training programs you are looking at. Make sure you find out how many people complete the program, what their observations were, and how many of them have gone on to careers as OTA’s.
Recommended Occupational Therapy Schools in Belle Glade, FL
Since 1977, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career-focused education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.
- Associate of Science in Occupational Therapy Assistant
- Associate of Science in Physical Therapist Assistant
- Why Earn Your Degree from GCU?
- Options: Choose from a variety of undergraduate and graduate degree programs in Business, Nursing, Psychology, Education & more!
- Convenience: Complete courses online, on campus, or a combination of both!
- Earlier Graduation: Our 4-credit courses allow you to complete your degree program in less time.
- Transfer Friendly: We will request your transcripts, evaluate your graduate coursework, and determine your anticipated graduation date within 24 hours.
- Quality: Grand Canyon University was founded in 1949 and is regionally accredited. Learn more today!
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Family Dynamics
- And more...
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology program helps students prepare for careers in counseling, marketing/sales, human services, ministry, and more.
- The School of Psychology & Counseling received a 95% match rate for 4th year Psy.D. student internships in 2015.
- Programmatic accreditation for psychology programs is provided by the American Psychological Association (APA).
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- M.A. in Human Services - Addictions Counseling
- Learn how you can make a difference in the Human Services field with a degree from Post
- 100% online Human Services BS degree
- Find concentrations in Counseling, Management, Psychology & more
- Ranked in the Best Online Bachelor’s Programs by the US News & World Report
- Post University earned the 2017 Military Spouse Friendly School® designation
- B.S. in Human Services / Counseling
- Graduate Certificate in Alcohol & Drug Counseling
- Graduate Certificate in Professional Counseling
- And more...
What to Expect in OTA School
In most cases the course work is about 24 months, with the first year being mainly class-room instruction and with the second year spent carrying out hands on lessons in a medical center or private care office. Some of the course work a student will want to take includes pediatrics, gerontology, clinical terminology, and physical rehab. All States that require licensure just want a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree will be necessary if you intend on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but the truth is you will find that the majority of Occupational Therapist launched their careers as Assistants and received their Bachelor’s Degrees several years later.
Licensing Information and Facts
Following graduation, those wanting to start their careers have to become certified as an OTA. Each State has its own rules and regulations which are governed by an occupational therapy board, with a few being private and some run by the State exclusively. In Florida, licensing is administrated by the Florida Board of Occupational Therapy Practice. Although each State is unique, there are a number of requirements which happen to be common among the majority of them and include the following.
Any individual attempting to get an occupational therapy assistant certificate has to be a U.S. citizen, will need to have a social security number and is required to have taken and passed appropriate college course work in addition to having taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Every State requires a federal background check , although convictions are not always automatic grounds for dismissal. Some States may consider approving an occupational therapy license in a case where a written affidavit is filed to explain the circumstances of the conviction. Additional circumstances including time and nature of the criminal offense may be examined and be taken into consideration to approve licensure .
Every State will have an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensure packet that will include several forms to fill out. Do not pay for these forms from a third party because they can be found online from many legitimate web sites. It is recommended to take a very thorough look through the forms before attempting to complete them. You might have official transcripts needed; notarized signatures and several States will require you to complete a fingerprint card which may be completed at a local police station.
Workplace for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA will work with a variety of patients who may have needs that will be different than from the previous patient. You may be working in an outpatient facility with infants that happen to have food or texture aversions or perhaps a hospital rehabilitation facility working with a middle age woman with psychological struggles . Even though an occupational therapy assistant possesses a variety of job skills, a few of the basics like following direction, keeping up to date with the most up-to-date techniques and learning and applying the available technology are the most important. Finally, a COTA also needs to be reasonably physically fit, since you will encounter several instances of moving patients around, for example from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this sounds like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes to fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of training programs near Belle Glade, FL that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant classes. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Belle Glade, FL reviewed by Gianna WATKINS on June 14.
Very Helpful Site
Thank You for creating such an informative website. I was able to get great info about the OTA schools in my area and chose one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my classes and can’t wait to work as an Occupational Therapist.